Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mazama Open Range A/T tire
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RufusRockwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:35 pm    Post subject: Mazama Open Range A/T tire Reply with quote

85 tintop with auto trans, Subaru 2.2 -
After running Nokian WRG3 tires, which wore out so fast the tire shop warranteed them, and then the Nokian WRC3 tires which were nice but also wore down fairly quickly, I decided to take a chance on an A/T tire . I decided on the Les Schwab Mazama Open Range AT (215 75 15) and I have to say they are by far the best tires I've had on my van yet. They look tough (not gonna lie, this was a factor) and are very quiet and offer the most buttery ride my van has had. My wife and I took a trip from Oregon to Pocatello Idaho a couple of days after install and these tires were amazing the whole 1300 mile roundtrip. They are about an inch bigger in diameter than the WRC3's but I notice no discernible hit to power. Highly recommend for an A/T tire.
pemz0r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Mazama Open Range A/T tire Reply with quote

I rock the same tire on my syncro and have turned a lot of my offroading friends to the Open Range. Awesome tire.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Mazama Open Range A/T tire Reply with quote

Add a picture of your setup?

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Mazama Open Range A/T tire Reply with quote

Nice looking tire. I'm curious about rough width & diameter (wheel center to ground X2) if you wouldn't mind measuring?
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Mazama Open Range A/T tire Reply with quote

I looked at those tires. They seem nice but my concern was who makes them? They are at the top end of pricing for that size tire. They seem to have a good mileage warranty, but my reason for choosing them (or not) would be based on price. They are 15% more than BFG AT tires in that size, which are considered the AT standard, so I don't see the benefit in them for me.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Mazama Open Range A/T tire Reply with quote

brickster wrote:
Nice looking tire. I'm curious about rough width & diameter (wheel center to ground X2) if you wouldn't mind measuring?

Go to Tire Rack and look up any 215/75r15 tire and the dimensions they give will be close enough.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Mazama Open Range A/T tire Reply with quote

Who sells them other than less schwab- nobody. House brand tires are a hard sell for me.
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Mazama Open Range A/T tire Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
brickster wrote:

Go to Tire Rack and look up any 215/75r15 tire and the dimensions they give will be close enough.

Thanks for the suggestion. In my research, I’ve seen some manufacturers that don’t adhere to the standards, which is why I made my request.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Mazama Open Range A/T tire Reply with quote

Use this to determine the diameter you need. https://www.carid.com/tire-size-calculator.html?gc...calculator

Duncan
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Mazama Open Range A/T tire Reply with quote

Quote:
Add a picture of your setup?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's pics of the Mazama Open Range A/T tires.
These are 215/70R16, which are 0.2 inches bigger than 215/75R15.
They're on 16x7.5" rims ET23.

I wanted BFGs but there were none to be had "at the time" and got into a time-crunch, so I had to go with what was in-stock.
I can't complain about the look, or the Les Schwab warranty but the price was $200 more than BFG.
They could be a better snow tire than BFG.

I put the 215/70R16 spare in the clamshell, which took a couple days, cutting, welding, a significant 'project' for 0.2 inches. Not advised.
215/70R16 spare under the front required cutting (Syncro)

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
pemz0r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Mazama Open Range A/T tire Reply with quote

Great tire for every terrain, especially snow. Full confidence with the tire in the snow, I even struggled trying to get the van sideways in the turns.

Flying in the snow, no chains.

Link

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Mazama Open Range A/T tire Reply with quote

I’ve been happy with the Mazamas on my F150 but I bet all premium tires “feel good” one way or another.
I wanted BFG for my pickup too but by availability, at that moment, was stuck with Mazamas. Exactly the same as when I put the Mazamas on the Syncro (wanting BFG for the appearance & lessr price).
Can’t complain though.
I have not driven the Syncro/Mazamas on snow yet.

Regarding snow performance, snow/ice has a myriad of conditions. Cold/dry/wet/base/no base/heavy snow/light snow and a tire that’s top in one of those conditions can be a lesser performer in others.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Mazama Open Range A/T tire Reply with quote

I wonder how they would do in mud.

I've been watching Itchy Boots season 6, and I keep thinking if a properly setup Syncro could make the same trip.

Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Mazama Open Range A/T tire Reply with quote

FWIW- these tires are currently $204/each when purchased as a set of four, which puts them just under what the BFG is going for on tire rack right now ($216.99). I’m going to give them a shot, mostly because I live just a few blocks from a Les Schwab location. I will report back once I get them installed!
Some people call him Maurice...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: