Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The “Bob Dowell Van” Brake Project Issue
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EJZero1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: The “Bob Dowell Van” Brake Project Issue Reply with quote

I’d like you all to meet my new obsession, my ‘60 Kombi!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Plenty of beautiful patina, along with some logo action, a huge plus for me! Being a huge fan of the logos, I started perusing the logo and sign writing thread on this forum. Imagine my surprise when I came across this pic from page 4 of that thread, posted 16 years ago! Logo on the rear hatch reads, “There goes KAYE TV”. Driver’s side shares a larger, barely visible version advertising KAYE Stereo & TV Service with either a phone number or address at the bottom.

Yeap, that’s my bus! Previous owner says they rescued it after it apparently sat in that field for a few decades. Sure glad he did, and even happier she’s mine now. At first I wished for the traditional bus paint scheme versus this weird faded odd-ball combo, but more on that later.

Between the previous owner and my own research, I’ve traced the faint logo on the nose to “Dowell’s Cafe” in Amarillo, Texas. On a whim, I simply did a quick Google search. Came up with the obituary of the wife of Bob Dowell, owner of a string of (you guessed it) restaurants and cafes in Amarillo in the 50’s thru the 70’s. This woman was survived by her two daughters. Googled the first and found her obit. Googled the second, Becky, and Google was kind enough to list her phone number! “What the hell?”, says I, and I dial the number.

“Hello?”
“Good evening, Ma’am. Is this Becky, by chance?”
“Yes. Who’s this?”
“My name is Eric, and I’m calling from Colorado Springs, Colorado. I’m just doing a little research on the history of a vehicle I just purchased, and I wonder if you might entertain a couple of questions?”
“Sure, I guess?”
“Thank you! The vehicle is a 1960 Volkswagen bus. I wonder if you might be able to tell me anything about a ‘Dowell’s Cafe’?”
“..........”
“Ma’am?”
“...Oh my God.”

Becky and I talked for an hour, and after our conversation, she sent me this picture. The wonderful lady who just shared so many memories with me is the infant in her mother’s arms in this photo taken in 1955. The gentleman on the far right is her father, Bob Dowell, who she lovingly referred to as “Daddy” over the entire course of our conversation. Becky is 65 now.

When Becky was 5, she went with her Daddy to pick up their brand new VW. The first time she laid eyes on it she laughed and said, “That’s really gonna stand out, Daddy!” “That’s why we ordered it that way!” was his response. They were looking at their new bus, painted orange on top, black stripe, and green from the stripe down, exactly like her Daddy had ordered it. I had never yet mentioned how the bus looked today, and was floored to hear it is still wearing the same paint Mr. Dowell ordered it in when he bought it brand new. (M Plate says it was shipped to the U.S. in Grey.)

It was just amazing to hear Becky relive her memories! When she was old enough to reach the pedals, Becky learned to drive in the bus that is now parked in my garage. Her Daddy would often drive her and her friends to the drive in movie, where he would park the bus rear facing the screen so she and her friends could open the rear hatch and watch the movie perched above the warm engine. She told story after story, often stopping to collect herself after becoming emotional. I felt so honored to be able to share this time with her, as she’s the only surviving member of her immediate family. She shared that she just lost her sister a short time ago, who would have been so excited to hear that their Daddy’s bus was somehow still “alive”.

As our conversation drew to a close, Becky promised she’d start looking through old family photos and send me pics of her family enjoying their bus. I can’t wait.

When I decided I wanted a bus, I searched for months, waiting for the “one”. She’s a little rough around the edges, and needs some work before she’ll be a driver, but I’m 100% confident I found just that, and less than an hour from home.

Plans? Going to leave that “weird faded odd-ball” paint exactly the way it is, especially now that I know the story. Need to sort out some transaxle issues, and sort out some pretty interesting electrical hacks. Other than that, just tinkering stuff. Correct pop out latches, maybe a set of old hubcaps that would have to look just right. Maybe, just maybe, keep an eye out for some seats for the back. Then just enjoy her for what she is, smiling every time I think of the great times Becky and her family shared in my bus.

Last edited by EJZero1 on Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘60 Kombi Intro Reply with quote

Really a heart-tugger story. I hope you get bus photos from her.
Dustin B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘60 Kombi Intro Reply with quote

Great story and an awesome bus. Would be cool if you got it running, trailered it to her area and gave her a ride in it. It would mean the world to her I'm sure.

62 og paint L469 type 1
61 og paint L31 DD panel type 2
64 heilite viscount tent trailer
71 sears clamshell trailer

I <3 Brazilian busses

Original paint and patina extravaganza http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187156
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘60 Kombi Intro Reply with quote

Now that you know it’s history, I bet you’re glad you didn’t grind off that 60 year old paint.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘60 Kombi Intro Reply with quote

Great story, well done on tracking her down, and lucky you she's still alive and remembers!
Dustin B wrote:
trailered it

Why not drive it? Confused

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Dustin B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘60 Kombi Intro Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Great story, well done on tracking her down, and lucky you she's still alive and remembers!
Dustin B wrote:
trailered it

Why not drive it? Confused

If he could get it reliable in a timely manner by all means drive it but since she's getting up there in age I would try to get it together quickly and roadworthy enough to let her see it and take her for a ride. Reuniting past owners with old family cars is very special. A friend of mine just tracked down a few family members of his bus and the story he told teared me up a bit.

62 og paint L469 type 1
61 og paint L31 DD panel type 2
64 heilite viscount tent trailer
71 sears clamshell trailer

I <3 Brazilian busses

Original paint and patina extravaganza http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187156
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: ‘60 Kombi Intro Reply with quote

EJZero1, the “Bob Dowell Van” is an amazing story and I agree you might want to get it running quickly or trailer it to show Becky the bus. If that is not available perhaps you can do a Zoom meet or Google Hangout or Google Meet? Interesting color combo was the Cafe the same color combo? What does the logo in the rear say? Applause Applause Applause

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: ‘60 Kombi Intro Reply with quote

And THAT is patina, not just a rusty Bus.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: ‘60 Kombi Intro Reply with quote

Cool story, thanks for sharing. I need to track down the prior owner of my double cab.

I'm guessing your bus left the factory grey like the m code shows and that the dealership in TX did the custom paint job before it was delivered to Mr. Dowell.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: ‘60 Kombi Intro Reply with quote

great story- Bob looks like he was great at self promotion- are those great danes pulling the cart in the picture she sent you? Gotta like being able to reconnect with former owners and tell them the car they thought was long dead is still around and will hopefully be driving soon. Given what is getting saved these days yours looks to be a walk in the park
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: ‘60 Kombi Intro Reply with quote

Dustin B wrote:
getting up there in age

LOL ... hey, I just turned 68 and bought my single cab this month getting back into old VW's after a 12-13 year layoff. Just joking about the age quote Dustin B. Laughing Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: ‘60 Kombi Intro Reply with quote

Fantastic story and thanks for sharing it. Wow ... if that doesn't pull some emotional strings. Obviously Becky was very attached to that bus. GREAT COLOR ... I can't wait to see your progress and hope you get it up and running soon.
BIG_TEXAS_PETE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: ‘60 Kombi Intro Reply with quote

Awesome story!

Its amazing its got its OG paint sitting in the field all these years. Amazing! Cool
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: ‘60 Kombi Intro Reply with quote

Very cool. Well done on tracking down the history.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: ‘60 Kombi Intro - The “Bob Dowell Van” Reply with quote

Awesome story! You ABSOLUTELY have to make a trip in that Bus to the surviving daughter to show her their old Bus and give her a nice ride/drive in it. You will regret it in the long run if you don't! Get the Bus healthy, make the pilgrimage and take lots of photos for all of us!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EJZero1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘60 Kombi Intro Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Interesting color combo was the Cafe the same color combo? What does the logo in the rear say?

I honestly have no idea what the color schemes were on the Dowell’s Cafes.

Logo on the rear hatch reads, “There goes KAYE TV.” Apparently a stereo and TV service shop. I’ve looked every way I know how and can’t find any history on it. Long side has a larger logo from the same service shop, but barely visible.
EJZero1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘60 Kombi Intro Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
great story- Bob looks like he was great at self promotion- are those great danes pulling the cart in the picture she sent you? Gotta like being able to reconnect with former owners and tell them the car they thought was long dead is still around and will hopefully be driving soon. Given what is getting saved these days yours looks to be a walk in the park

They are, indeed, Great Danes! How cool is that?!

While your “walk in the park” comment is optimistic, it’s also encouraging!
EJZero1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘60 Kombi Intro - The “Bob Dowell Van” Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the great comments! Would love to be able to road trip the bus down to Amarillo when I can consider her capable of the trip! I think it would be awesome to be able to reunite Becky with the bus.

The 40 horse starts and runs! That said, I really don’t know how healthy it is. Sounds smooth as can be, and as long as it runs I’m going to go with it, as long as I drive it locally and work on other things, that is.

Electrical system could use a little help. I’ve heard that if the generator light is out, the charging system won’t charge. (True?). At any rate, my generator light has never come on, and in the process of going to check on it, it dawned on me that I apparently have a bug speedo in my bus. So a bus speedo is on my list of things to track down.

I think the biggest job ahead of me in the near future is a possible transaxle swap. I’ve got reverse, 1 and 2, but can’t feel anything close to 3 or 4. Front and rear couplers are great, but front and rear bushings seem to be gone. That said, there really doesn’t feel to be a lot of slop in the shifter. Tried adjusting the shifter plate at the floor per a lot of things I’ve read here on TS, but there really doesn’t seem to be much room for adjustment. Maybe 1/4 inch fore/aft and even less than that left/right. Am I missing any adjustment opportunities anywhere else?

Previous owner is a good dude. He told me the transaxle had issues, and brought me another one to try a few days ago. So here’s a question... He rebuilt the RGB’s that are on the bus now. Wouldn’t it be easier to swap the entire axle assemblies over to the replacement transaxle than to disassemble the RGB’s on the bus now, and then rebuild the replacement RGB’s on the replacement transaxle?

Thanks again for the great feedback so far, and thanks in advance for the info I hope to get as I start this adventure!
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘60 Kombi Intro - The “Bob Dowell Van” Reply with quote

When do we get to see pics of it washed and polished up a little? I’m looking forward to see how the paint comes out
EJZero1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘60 Kombi Intro - The “Bob Dowell Van” Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
When do we get to see pics of it washed and polished up a little? I’m looking forward to see how the paint comes out

I’m really torn! I really love the way it looks right now, with the rust “stains” running down her corners and sides, but I really think she’d shine up pretty good with just a little elbow grease. And I really hate the thought of the white wax residue that will be left behind on the rust patches.

Decisions, decisions...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: