Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Broken steering column
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Broken steering column Reply with quote

I had the good fortune to borrow a '51 panelvan last summer. I drove it about 800km through Europe. It drove just fine for me, but right after I dropped it off, the owner went to drive it into his warehouse, and the steering column broke in two. I feel lucky that it didn't happen a few KMs before when I was driving at speed.

I recently talked to a friend who had the exact same thing happen to him on his '52 bus. Not rusty, it just snapped.

Both were early BDs with the separate box and column. Both columns broke in the middle, not at the end or the junction.

Has anyone else had this happen or heard of this? I am a bit concerned as I don't want this to happen on my '50.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken steering column Reply with quote

Wow! Lind! No experience of this personally but that’s a pretty scary thought ...... especially with the various modified, big engined, early buses out there on the roads using stock front ends Confused Confused
andre b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken steering column Reply with quote

yep.my 52 steering rod snapped. I want to say almost half way point.luckily i was only going up a driveway,i think the pressure of the angle and the stiff front springs might have something to do with it,and is it just my barndoors..lol or do all the barndoors have a really stiff front end?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Broken steering column Reply with quote

First I've heard of this, you got me worried now!

andre b wrote:
do all the barndoors have a really stiff front end?

Given the square cross section of BD torsion leaves (due them all being the same size) I suspect they do. There is obviously a reason why vw changed the torsion leaves on later buses to the star cross section with different sized leaves

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
andre b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Broken steering column Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:
First I've heard of this, you got me worried now!

andre b wrote:
do all the barndoors have a really stiff front end?

Given the square cross section of BD torsion leaves (due them all being the same size) I suspect they do. There is obviously a reason why vw changed the torsion leaves on later buses to the star cross section with different sized leaves
makes sense.my 53 kombi rides ok but still a stiff ride,i grease the crap out of too.the steering pin bushing is wore out and dreading pulling the front beam.if there's a way to put a later beam in lets see it?oh and deferentially not lowered ones,lol
Lowdown Dirty Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken steering column Reply with quote

You got me freakin’ out Shocked
But I have a split beam in my Barndoor so softer leaves. Tell me I’m not going to die Confused
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken steering column Reply with quote

WOW!!! Hearing about 3 failures just here in this thread, SCARRY!! Thats an extremely high failure rate for such a critical part. Sound like they've all been with the 2 piece steering column systems.
In aviation we would send items like that out for a full NDI (non-destructive inspection), Magnaflux or etc looking for hairline cracks and corrosion pitting on the inside and out. These Services are available at many machine shops.....of course an upgraded column of some sort could be a better option.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Broken steering column Reply with quote

Mr. OGPaint wrote:
WOW!!! Hearing about 3 failures just here in this thread, SCARRY!! Thats an extremely high failure rate for such a critical part. Sound like they've all been with the 2 piece steering column systems.
In aviation we would send items like that out for a full NDI (non-destructive inspection), Magnaflux or etc looking for hairline cracks and corrosion pitting on the inside and out. These Services are available at many machine shops.....of course an upgraded column of some sort could be a better option.

Just two failures, Andre was the second one that I referred to in the original post.

I like your idea on the NDI. I don't know why I didn't think of that since I have a little experience with that from when I was a building inspector. We would do magnafluxing, and dye penetrant. There is also the good old ring it like a bell test also.

Both failures happened at slow speeds, which makes sense since the steering input has more stress on it the lower the speed.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken steering column Reply with quote

Probably a 2 piece shaft friction welded. That is a common manufacturing process.
CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken steering column Reply with quote

So Lind, what did you decide to do? pics? Very Happy
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Broken steering column Reply with quote

CaLiBus wrote:
So Lind, what did you decide to do? pics? Very Happy
we are going to inspect the column, and test it. Probably magnaflux it, definitely ring it like a bell and see if it makes a live sound or a dead sound.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: