Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

356 Registry Forums
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kneeslider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just a quick heads up, but I have noticed that the 356 talk forums over on the Registry website now appear to be locked down and unavailable to read. Ditto for the Technical articles.

I am not a paid up Registry member, as I am based in the UK. I am however considering joining up.

Its just a bit salty to have to cough up for something now that used to be free. Ho Hum!
MoPor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

They want you to pay to support their magazine whether you want it or not. That's where a good deal of the money goes.

'58 356A coupe
'00 Boxster S
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

I used to be a moderator on the 356 Registry and after voicing my opinion that they should NOT make it a pay site, I was thanked for my previous service and told I was being given a vacation from my moderating duties.

At that time I asked for a refund of my membership and received a check a few days later. I then found my user access was revoked.

Thanks for nothing.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

I should send them a thank you letter. You are a great contribution to the Samba!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

I am a member, although I don't spend much time on their forums. I logged in and found the announcement quoted below. I love their newsletter, as it has incredible information. Their online resources are good too. The paywall kind of sucks for the cheapskates out there, as some people seem to think that everything on the internet should be free or at least easy to steal.

356 registry site wrote:
Hi Folks
As part of our initiative to increase Registry membership, especially among non-member owners, the Trustees endorsed changing access to some sections of the website as a way of encouraging non-members who truly enjoy the site to join and receive full member benefits. The Registry website contains a wealth of valuable information about 356 Porsche's and literally all aspects of the club. Up to now, non-members have had substantial access to many features of the site, including the Talk Forum, Classifieds, and everything on the Resources page - including member’s cars. As part of our initiative to increase Registry membership, especially among non-member owners, the Trustees voted to tighten the limits on non-member access as a way of encouraging those who truly enjoy the site to join up. Non-members will still be able to see Talk Forum post titles, Classified listings, Resource article titles, and more because we want to show them what is available with full access by joining our club.

Thanks
Curt

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

Printing cost is most likely the biggest expense so if they went to a online pdf version they wouldn't need so much income. Charging for forum access is to subsidies the printed magazine.

And the value of the forum is provided by its members which don't get paid. Kinda like college sports.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Printing cost is most likely the biggest expense so if they went to a online pdf version they wouldn't need so much income. Charging for forum access is to subsidies the printed magazine.

And the value of the forum is provided by its members which don't get paid. Kinda like college sports.
Why don't you login and tell them as much? Better yet, join the board of directors and tell them in person. Oh yeah, you took your ball and went home. (they did give you a refund)

I am happy to pay my dues, and I get plenty of good information for it. I also don't mind paying to get into VW shows, etc. Some things are free, but most things cost money for someone.

This might be a case of getting what you paid for....
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

I was a paid member and when I voiced my opinion I was asked to leave. I guess you missed my previous post.

They don't want to hear anyone that disagrees with them. So they can kiss my ass.

And I still get quite a bit of business from the 356 crowd so personally i'm not missing it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I was a paid member and when I voiced my opinion I was asked to leave. I guess you missed my previous post.

They don't want to hear anyone that disagrees with them. So they can kiss my ass.

And I still get quite a bit of business from the 356 crowd so personally i'm not missing it.
I am sure you were quite polite to them before they revoked your moderator status. Likewise, I am sure they miss your contributions. Their loss.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Glenn wrote:

I am sure you were quite polite to them before they revoked your moderator status. Likewise, I am sure they miss your contributions. Their loss.

Actually i was, they got rid of the entire moderating team since we all agreed. Barry Brasco was one and a very long time member and included in the purge.

Just like the present administration, when you're disagree they get rid of you and put in YES men.

Some people don't want to hear the truth.

Don't care what they think, still get private emails from members and am happy to help.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

Quote:
Actually i was, they got rid of the entire moderating team since we all agreed. Barry Brasco was one and a very long time member and included in the purge.

Just like the present administration, when you're disagree they get rid of you and put in YES men.

Some people don't want to hear the truth.

Don't care what they think, still get private emails from members and am happy to help.

Yeah, I was surprised when you and Barry "left." I met him some years ago--real nice guy. I'm glad I have access to both sites--the number of people (me of course excluded) that know squat about 356's is diminishing--we need more sources of quality information, not fewer. Sad
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

Same old playbook these guys run. Bunch of control freaks. Ask a question - get kicked out. Whatever.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

I was a member over 20 years ago for over 10yrs and still can't bring myself to join again
Same played out message of arrogance and miss appropriations of funds. I hear of all the new guys coming in (old awesome guys with wisdom and sense of self have passed on , God Rest Their Soles) only to be replaced with young egos because they own a Porsche (said as Thurston Howel III).
HA,,, what's the difference between an cactus and a Porsche Owner??
Regards,
happy T5b owner.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

I don't really care about the club politics or how they spend their money. They have a good resource for online information, their magazine is well done, and I am happy to pay for it. I knew going in that the majority of porsche people are not my kind of people.
badsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
I don't really care about the club politics or how they spend their money. They have a good resource for online information, their magazine is well done, and I am happy to pay for it. I knew going in that the majority of porsche people are not my kind of people.

They are having problems over there right now and your good resource for information is dwindling as more of the old knowledgeable people are bailing out, maybe you should get involved.
Jay D.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

I would once again share my hard earned 50+ years of experience on 356 on their forum, but this knowledge cost me dearly, and I am not willing to pay them money for the privilege to do so. Idea
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
I would once again share my hard earned 50+ years of experience on 356 on their forum, but this knowledge cost me dearly, and I am not willing to pay them money for the privilege to do so. Idea

Thanks for putting into words what I was thinking.

The information in the forum is not theirs, the members share it for free... just like theSamba. I'm sure if people cam here they would be welcomed with open arms and not requests for money.

They treat the forum as a cash cow and use it to support the magazine and other expenses. If I remember correctly there was a call for a transparent accounting of the expenses uncured by members of the board.

I don't know if that ever happened.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

badsix wrote:
Lind wrote:

They are having problems over there right now and your good resource for information is dwindling as more of the old knowledgeable people are bailing out, maybe you should get involved.
Jay D.
I know very little about porsches, so there is very little which I could contribute. I do know a lot about VWs, and contribute it freely to this site, and have people contact me directly for info frequently, which I happily share. I also write a monthly column which you have to pay a bit to read.

I would prefer that everything be free, but its just not always possible. Many people are total cheapskates who won't pay for anything if they don't have to. The porsche registry forces people to subscribe to their magazine to get all their resources and benefits. To me its worth it. I am entertained and informed for not a lot of money. I don't mind supporting for-profit enterprises, and actually prefer that someone makes some money on things so that there is that much more incentive for them to continue.

how many of you subscribe to a VW magazine?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
I would prefer that everything be free, but its just not always possible. Many people are total cheapskates who won't pay for anything if they don't have to. The porsche registry forces people to subscribe to their magazine to get all their resources and benefits. To me its worth it. I am entertained and informed for not a lot of money. I don't mind supporting for-profit enterprises, and actually prefer that someone makes some money on things so that there is that much more incentive for them to continue.

how many of you subscribe to a VW magazine?

Does theSamba count as a for-profit enterprise? The gold star tells everyone you value this place.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/premium_membership.php

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

Well, the 356 Registry operates as a “non profit” organization for tax purposes. It seems that the only one there making any money, and a fair bit at that, is the publisher of the magazine, who operates under contract. Huh...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: