Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

356 Registry Forums
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Lind wrote:
I would prefer that everything be free, but its just not always possible. Many people are total cheapskates who won't pay for anything if they don't have to. The porsche registry forces people to subscribe to their magazine to get all their resources and benefits. To me its worth it. I am entertained and informed for not a lot of money. I don't mind supporting for-profit enterprises, and actually prefer that someone makes some money on things so that there is that much more incentive for them to continue.

how many of you subscribe to a VW magazine?
Does theSamba count as a for-profit enterprise? The gold star tells everyone you value this place.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/premium_membership.php
There is no such thing as a non-profit. Its all a matter of degree of profits or losses. Someone always makes or loses money, people get paid or not. There are no free lunch, etc.

Like many others I contribute my time and resources to provide some unique literature and content to this site, and expertise and BS to the forums. I got a gold star once. I buy featured ads, etc.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Lind wrote:
I would prefer that everything be free, but its just not always possible. Many people are total cheapskates who won't pay for anything if they don't have to. The porsche registry forces people to subscribe to their magazine to get all their resources and benefits. To me its worth it. I am entertained and informed for not a lot of money. I don't mind supporting for-profit enterprises, and actually prefer that someone makes some money on things so that there is that much more incentive for them to continue.

how many of you subscribe to a VW magazine?
Does theSamba count as a for-profit enterprise? The gold star tells everyone you value this place.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/premium_membership.php
There is no such thing as a non-profit. Its all a matter of degree of profits or losses. Someone always makes or loses money, people get paid or not. There are no free lunch, etc.

Like many others I contribute my time and resources to provide some unique literature and content to this site, and expertise and BS to the forums. I got a gold star once. I buy featured ads, etc.

You've been here since the dawn of time and I know your add value. but the gold star tells others, that don't know you that maybe they should also. that's why i have one.

Anyway, magazines are old news. that's why the VW rags have died. The real value is in the online forums where the cost is low and the quality of the members is the real value.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ottovu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

Same over on the Mercedes 113sl site, now its pay to play, or fuck off
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
I don't really care about the club politics or how they spend their money. They have a good resource for online information, their magazine is well done, and I am happy to pay for it. I knew going in that the majority of porsche people are not my kind of people.

That pretty much sums it up for me as well.
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
I would once again share my hard earned 50+ years of experience on 356 on their forum, but this knowledge cost me dearly, and I am not willing to pay them money for the privilege to do so. Idea

I agree whole hardily. I built my car over 25 years ago after buying it in boxes. I would like to think I have a vast wealth of knowledge on very early T5's and happy to help and she's for free.
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

I don't think that putting up a paywall between access to general info is a very good business model in the modern age, and not good for the hobby either.
Hopefully the 356 forums here becomes more active as a result.
Formcar 179
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

I have been a member of the 356 registry more than ten paid up years. I am still getting the magazine. Cannot get on the web site, and honestly, it has changed. Not anywhere as good as it used to be. Sad, just sad.
1944 VW factory Zollner Dynometer
PurpleGoat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

Adding my 2 cents.

If they want to sell a magazine, great! Let people sign up for that separately.

Forcing people to buy the mag to get the forum information is a step in the wrong direction. As some others have said this is bad for the 356 hobby in general.

Who do they think will be keeping these cars going after the batch of older folks currently in possession passes on? Is everything going to become concentrated in the hands of a few shop owners that specialize in these vehicles? Nothing against the shop owners at all, but I grew up helping my dad work on cars and learning how to do things myself, so I'd like to keep doing that. In fact, many shop owners help (for free) when they have time on the fourms! That's awesome! Where are the people like me going to get information? Closing their club off like this will result in less membership in the long run, not more.

I've been on car forums of various brands for more than 20 years - what makes one forum "win out" over others is valuable, user-generated content, not a nice magazine. How-to guides, helpful senior members that get the newbies pointed in the right direction - stuff like that makes a community grow. Newbies are useful too because they often stir up new topics or ideas. Eventually, the newbies learn about the car and start providing advice to others. And so it goes.

For me, the value of that site was all of the user content that is now locked up behind the gates. It's lost now.

They ought to reconsider. In the meantime, I'll be asking my newbie questions here from time to time as I attempt to put my car back in one piece Smile
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

Sounds like that site is run from member of the China ccp greed greed greed 😣😣
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

Personally, it's a private site and they are free to do what they want.... just like this site.

But this decision was made after years of members and non-members contributing to it's reputation and sharing VALUABLE information thinking it was a FREE exchange of ideas. If I knew ahead of time that my reading my post would require toy to pay them, I might not of shared so FREEly.

On the other hand, it does cost money to pay for a online forum and if they ASKED for donations, i'm sure many would contribute. And if you did, you could get a gold star to show that you support the site.

FYI... I was a paying member of the 356 Registry at the time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now a word for our sponsor.... please support this site, if you choose.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/donate.php

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

That's the same reason why I chose my email as my user name here in thesamba ...i been to the 356 registry years ago and was going threw their site and notice you cant email the sellers since only paying members could buy since you cant send an email and i need some parts from a member over there so i got pissed because i had to pay just to buy from a seller .I wasnt in to looking to buy magazines or to give my input on there forums I just wanted to buy parts. so i thought that's dumb i gotta pay more $$ to just buy parts ....i know thesamba is free to get info and to get a hold of folks but it always bothered me about how that 356 registry site is run.so I than said I'm going to use my email as my user name just in case somebody wants to email for whatever I've had some of thesamba members email directly to my email for a simple advise that they felt it would be dumb to post in the forums but like I tell them nothing is wrong to ask if you need help or can't understand what's going on with your car ...but I guess some folks just are shy or feel like some folks are gonna be like this foo that's easy to fix ..the 356 registry can do what they want but I think they could change at lease the classified ads and allow outsiders to buy from their members....
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

email protected wrote:
That's the same reason why I chose my email as my user name here in thesamba ...i been to the 356 registry years ago and was going threw their site and notice you cant email the sellers since only paying members could buy since you cant send an email and i need some parts from a member over there so i got pissed because i had to pay just to buy from a seller .I wasnt in to looking to buy magazines or to give my input on there forums I just wanted to buy parts. so i thought that's dumb i gotta pay more $$ to just buy parts ....i know thesamba is free to get info and to get a hold of folks but it always bothered me about how that 356 registry site is run..... ..the 356 registry can do what they want but I think they could change at lease the classified ads and allow outsiders to buy from their members....
Do you get pissed off when you have to pay to get into a swap meet? Are you all like "the sellers had to pay for their spots, so the customers should all get in free"

Also, by having your email as your username on thesamba means that many people only see you as user: "email protected".

I think that their member only model is not the best for growth, but it sure weeds out the cheapskates. Everybody is welcome to buy and sell for free on thesamba, and many 356 people do. As a 356 registry member, I have a wider availability of parts than non-members, and I like that. I am a member mainly for the information, but getting into the swap meet is nice too.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
I think that their member only model is not the best for growth, but it sure weeds out the cheapskates.

You have VW people confused with Porsche people.

I deal with both and never had a Porsche person question my pricing.

My problem is that all the content on their forum was contributed for free and now they are charging you to access it. A pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

The real issue is that they use revenue for forum access to subsidize their magazine and events that I bet a VERY small percentage of forum members want or attend.

My issue is the change from free to pay. If it started out as pay then I might never of posted.

I belong to a hobby forum that is free, but with limited access. If you pay you can list parts in the classified, have access to sponsored online events and access to forums only for paid members. So maybe if the 356 Registry offered a 2 tier free/pay level it might not piss off some of us.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

First ....No i don't complain about paying to get in to a swaptmeet ..where you get that from this guy lol ?????

Second ......email is only for website user names I can careless protected info no important email ..anybody can get someone's email and hack anyways so????

Third.....good for you ......
ensys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

As a once long time member of the Reg (since 1980, member no. 1407), and now a purged pariah, exiled for asking too many pointed questions about how the club was run, I feel I can speak with some authority about the character of the carefully cultivated Leadership zeitgeist that holds sway over there.

There was a time when many respected members began asking many thoughtful questions, and rebellion was in the air like the Polish Spring. Some wondered why the club felt unobliged to adhere to the rules of being a 501(c)(3) Non-profit organization. Why all the money went to the highly profitable rag and a casually accounted Slush Fund. Why there was no money to support regional Chapters as State and Federal regulations require, but plenty for perks for the Board and their favored friends. Why the club refused to provide tax returns for member reviews. Does all this start to look familiar?

This quest for transparency in the legitimate operation of a non-profit was met with a circling of the wagons and constant volleys of vitriol delivered with glee by designated character assassins. Punishments were meted out with a heavy hand, leading to many being vilified and ostracized for questioning the Board's authority to run the joint like a private Old Boys Club.

But in the end, the success of the defense of the Leadership citadel was not a strength of logic or demonstration of responsible leadership. It was a membership indifferent to issues of honesty, and moral responsibility, so long as their personal needs were met. It's a familiar story, made more pointed by current events in the world. Despots of many stripes have always relied on a broad willingness to ignore a bigger picture as long as narrow self interest is served.

Thus, some find no surprise that the club leadership has foolishly decided to build walls instead of bridges. One might think that "exclusivity" is more valuable than increased membership.

Mr.Lind:

You seem terribly occupied by the scourge of those less affluent than yourself. It's no wonder you feel right at home at the Registry.

S.J.Szabo
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

ensys wrote:
Why the club refused to provide tax returns for member reviews. Does all this start to look familiar?

Thanks for reminding me.

Wasn't there a law suit brought by one of the members over the tax returns?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
neilb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
ensys wrote:
Why the club refused to provide tax returns for member reviews. Does all this start to look familiar?

Thanks for reminding me.

yes i think i can remember something about that
neilb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I used to be a moderator on the 356 Registry and after voicing my opinion that they should NOT make it a pay site, I was thanked for my previous service and told I was being given a vacation from my moderating duties.

At that time I asked for a refund of my membership and received a check a few days later. I then found my user access was revoked.

Thanks for nothing.

that's harsh glenn, but your better off out of it
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

neilb wrote:
Glenn wrote:
ensys wrote:

Thanks for reminding me.

yes i think i can remember something about that

IIRC, the big lawsuit had to do with a member wanting access to every member's name and address info so that he could sell his book.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 Registry Forums Reply with quote

Uhh, yeah, this half truth is where things went even more sideways. Shame
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: