Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The ultimate garage scenario
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
suicidedoordavid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: The ultimate garage scenario Reply with quote

I’m looking for ideas when it comes to building the ultimate garage that will fit all of my needs. Right now my current garage was built by my landlord back in the 80s and currently isn’t the most efficient. Eventually when I buy the house, or purchase another home, the garage will be something I’d like to have built with all the amenities that will suite my needs.
What part of your garage do you like the most that you feel would be an asset? I’m open to all ideas and will copy/paste all ideas in this original post as they come in.

First off, about me. 43 year old that’s always had and still do, have Volkswagens in the driveway. I’m mechanically inclined, and pretty much your typical guy that usually fix just about anything, provided I have the tools. Not much experience in house construction, but I can create stuff with wood if needed.
Having said this, I’m thinking of one building divided into 2-3 car bays, one of them with a car lift a small exercise room/multi media type room, 1 or 2 smaller rooms that can be used as a dirt room (for grinding metal/cutting wood/parts cleaning, etc), a clean room (for assembling engines, etc).

This is ideas I’m looking for.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The ultimate garage scenario Reply with quote

https://www.garagejournal.com/

or here

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=153797
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The ultimate garage scenario Reply with quote

My priorities would be plenty of shelf space and tool storage areas, one single tiny work bench since I can't seem to keep a bench from getting cluttered, and a shitter nearby would be handy as well Wink Oh yeah, and triple the electrical and air outlets you think you need, no cord or hose is quite long enough, and wire it for sound, some days you just want to hang out and listen to the badassed sound system you made sure was included in the build while you look at your projects or shiny things. Razz And lights, more than you need now, once you age everything seems darker, leave room for more lighting!

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The ultimate garage scenario Reply with quote

If you're looking for pictures- the thread above works. But if you want ideas about what people have done and had success, what sucked, etc., this seems like a perfect spot for discussion. I only have half of these:

You can never have enough outlets-including a couple in the ceiling.
Prewire for 220v in a couple spots
A ceiling high enough for a two post lift to raise a bus
Have everything above the floor/easy to sweep around
If you are pouring concrete- talk the flatworker guys into a square that's level and a reinforced area for the two post lift you want now
You can never have too many light rough-ins and a couple for ceiling fans.
Plumb for air from one side to the other- with drains at each low spot
Have outlets on the outside of the garage
-and a frost free water spigot close by
Some like water in the garage- but Murphy's law says the pipe will freeze and burst while your skiing in Vail
Have cross ventilation- window or door options on all sides so you can breathe in any weather with any wind direction.
An exhaust fan is a good idea

I've grown to detest the site of all my spare parts (incl. bikes, MCs, camping, etc) stored in totes in the same garage- I'm considering storage outside the main garage- but no too far away to access (my barn).

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The ultimate garage scenario Reply with quote

Compressor in an enclosed room outside of the workspace for both safety & noise reasons.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The ultimate garage scenario Reply with quote

Good ventilation.
Good heat.
Good a/c.
High enough ceiling that you can put a high top camper on the lift and still walk under it upright!

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The ultimate garage scenario Reply with quote

All of the above with the addition of a small kitchen, bathroom with shower and a bedroom off one end. This would make having a house too of no real value saving a pile of money to be used for project cars instead! Very Happy
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The ultimate garage scenario Reply with quote

My friend is building this.... 3 bays with a second floor for storage.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's bigger than his house.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The ultimate garage scenario Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
My friend is building this.... 3 bays with a second floor for storage.

It's bigger than his house.

When we bought our place 21 years ago, the shop was slightly bigger than the house. (huge yard, too. It's excellent!) Last summer I added a second story to the back half of the house and that all went away.

I agree with most of what has been said so far. I have a scissor lift in my shop, but the ceiling is only 9'4". If given the chance, that shop would have 14' ceilings and an asymmetrical 2 post lift.

Careful how far you go with making the shop too home like. You might just find others feel the same, and it now longer feels like your own little slice of heaven.

In other words, keep it just rough enough for yourself.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The ultimate garage scenario Reply with quote

suicidedoordavid wrote:
I’m looking for ideas when it comes to building the ultimate garage that will fit all of my needs. Right now my current garage was built by my landlord back in the 80s and currently isn’t the most efficient. Eventually when I buy the house, or purchase another home, the garage will be something I’d like to have built with all the amenities that will suite my needs.
What part of your garage do you like the most that you feel would be an asset? I’m open to all ideas and will copy/paste all ideas in this original post as they come in.

First off, about me. 43 year old that’s always had and still do, have Volkswagens in the driveway. I’m mechanically inclined, and pretty much your typical guy that usually fix just about anything, provided I have the tools. Not much experience in house construction, but I can create stuff with wood if needed.
Having said this, I’m thinking of one building divided into 2-3 car bays, one of them with a car lift a small exercise room/multi media type room, 1 or 2 smaller rooms that can be used as a dirt room (for grinding metal/cutting wood/parts cleaning, etc), a clean room (for assembling engines, etc).

This is ideas I’m looking for.

First Priority is to BUY THE HOUSE
I don't know where you live, and it really doesn't matter.
But even BEFORE you buy the house find out about any Zoning or HOA restrictions that could prevent you from building the garage of your dreams.
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THIS INFORMATION DOCUMENTED AS VALID & UP TO DATE, not just some neighbor's BS.
Once clear of Zoning or HOA restrictions then buying the property becomes the First Priority.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: The ultimate garage scenario Reply with quote

A door taller than 7'.
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: The ultimate garage scenario Reply with quote

We bought our house 6 years ago and there was no garage.
Checked with the city before final closing and was told we could build.

I decided on going with a 26' x 30' then my wife and son said I should go bigger.
So 30' x 34' with an upstair attic was the final size and had the plans drawn up by a local architect.My attic space is 15' x30' with stairs.No water or bathroom.I had two 220V outlets installed for a compressor and welder.

I got about 6 bids for the stemwall foundation and had my contractor friend come out from Montana to build it.

Things to consider......
Insulation in walls and roof.
Roof vents and attic fan.
Plenty of lighting including outside.
Plenty of outlets including 220V.
Water and bathroom.
Usable attic.
Insulated garage door.

Last edited by grandpa red on Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:40 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: The ultimate garage scenario Reply with quote

I wish I had air conditioning and heat. And more space. There is never enough space.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: The ultimate garage scenario Reply with quote

We bought our house in 1995 w/ no Garage, we had this built:

For $15,000, site work, slab ect., the builders ran the power to it from the house, w/ 220 & phone, we wired it, I heat it w/ wood, so in Winter it takes 3 hours to heat up enough to work, we could run water & septic, but like cdennisg said, just keep it rough enough for me... Laughing

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: The ultimate garage scenario Reply with quote

Leo '69 Notchback' built this shop for his cars in Colorado.
You want at least 1 high door I think.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The ultimate garage scenario Reply with quote

Having a seperate room for clean work, another for cutting, grinding and wood working is a big step up. We have a 4 horse stall/carriage barn;
I keep all the bicycles in one of the horse stalls, my sons motorbike in another with respective spares and project bits, cuts down on the WTF is this part for.
I used old cabinets labeled for bus parts, bug parts, electrical, plumbing
The fishing rods with reels are up in the joist space under the floor of the hay loft/ ping pong table room above.
With storage, if you can't see it, you waste time looking unless it's organized.
With a wood floor, the barn is way more comfortable to work in than a concrete slab floor.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: The ultimate garage scenario Reply with quote

If you will stay single and all you want to do is hobby shop - I will hunt for a nice old building and turn that into garage/residence. A la Burn Notice TV show.

An old fire station will be best. Plenty of them in the midwest or some small towns.

How much and where is the issue and your employment.

But there are also properties out there w/ large acreages and house and workshops that are very envious to the car hobbyist.

I am a proud owner of a home in another state w/ a giant ass garage 9600 sq ft brick building and a house. The garage even has a railing/ crane for moving stuff around.

When I drove thru PA - lots of old buildings boarded up and would be a nice Burn Notice home or residence. But will take some money and TLC to appreciate the use of it.

I will rather just buy a home w/ a garage already on the property than having to build a new one. The expense is just too much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: The ultimate garage scenario Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:

I will rather just buy a home w/ a garage already on the property than having to build a new one. The expense is just too much.

I got quotes for a one car garage, biggest we could fit by zoning, slab on grade, bare bones and after seeing 50k several times decided to use 50k to buy the present place.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The ultimate garage scenario Reply with quote

There ya go - smart man.

I went thru PA and all kinds of run down homes in the boonies w/ humungous garages abandoned. If I were looking for a place to settle for a bit, I will get one of them. All depends what kind of employment one has to support this VW addiction. Laughing

I drove 4 hours to PA to pick up this beauty of a jack.

This is massive! Will lift 1000 lbs almost 28 inches off the ground.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The ultimate garage scenario Reply with quote

You like those old mechanical jacks? Me too. This is a Walker probably teens or twenties.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: