Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Roof Rack for Vanagons
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SyncroHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: New Roof Rack for Vanagons Reply with quote

Hi friends,

I've been working on rack concepts and plans for YEARS, having had numerous combinations of racks on my Syncro for nearly 30 years. I found nothing on the market was just quite right and after extensive research decided to go another route...

I've included some shots below of a brand new rack we've been working on. I'm collaborating with the manufacturer and have a beta version on my Syncro now. We're still finalizing a few of the details, but expect these pics to give you a pretty close idea.

This rack is custom-designed for a Vanagon passenger van and DoKas. It's quite heavy-duty, but not too heavy either. It’s constructed of power-coated aluminum (side-rails and cross-bars) with steel for the supports and gutter clamps. We intend to be able to offer a single half-length rack for people with other plans for half of their roof (or a DoKa) or "modularly" join two half-racks together to cover the whole roof of a passenger Vanagon.

The design covers as much of the Vanagon roof as possible to maximize cargo space and still leave room at the rear for the top of a hatch ladder to swing up and room at the front for a light bar. I figured, if you're going to put a rack up there, you should make the most of it. We expect to offer mounting hardware to allow you to attach either Thule or Yakima load bars to the top of the rack, allowing you the ability to choose accessories from either of these provider’s huge product lines for bikes, canoes, kayaks, skis, cargo boxes, Etc.

The design also included integral places to attach tie-downs and works with hooked straps, bungies, cam-straps, nets, etc. No need to attach an eye-bolt with attachment holes in all the cross-bars and side rails.

We’re working hard at driving costs down and still keeping great quality. Pricing is not yet finalized, but we HOPE to be able to offer a half-length rack (4 supports) starting under $1K and a full-roof rack (8 supports) starting under $2K. Potential upgrades we’re planning are:
- Added supports for greater load distribution (6/half-rack)
- Prepped for your lights
- Including LED lights
- Choice of Thule or Yakima mounting hardware kit that will give you the ability to attach their huge assortment of accessory options.
None of this quite certain just yet, so no promises.

We’re looking at making an initial production run of 5 full-length racks to get started. Hoping to be able to deliver in August.

If you’re interested in getting one of these first 5 rack systems, please email me at [email protected] and we should be able to share at least some preliminary pricing with about a week.

Here’s some preliminary photos.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New Roof Rack for Vanagons Reply with quote

It looks amazing and well designed! You can build another story up there Shocked

I'm sure some people will love it!!

Best of luck with the next phase!

One upgrade I would do is the hardware not being black oxyde, it looks like it is about to corrode rather fast. I know you can't use stainless on aluminum, but there must be some solution for that part.

Aloha!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New Roof Rack for Vanagons Reply with quote

Very very nice rack. I know it was a lot of work, hats off to you Smile

Alika... to my eyes those back oxide fasteners you point out look like black oxide stainless button head to me. I have a box of them in front of me Smile

I’ve used them on aluminum and the perceived problem of stainless in aluminum is really overblown for this application. If you were really worried about issues with galvanic corrosion between the two , you could put a dab of “tef-gel” on the fastener threads ( if indeed those fasteners do thread into aluminum and not a stainless nut or insert).

And again to the OP, very nicely done. Impressed by the formed parts.

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New Roof Rack for Vanagons Reply with quote

That's pretty.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
SyncroHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New Roof Rack for Vanagons Reply with quote

Interesting that you point out the fasteners as it’s one of the elements we’re still ironing out. The beta version in the pics has a mix of hardware. Some stainless with black oxide and some ferrous steel with black oxide due to the availability when assembling the rack.

The plan will be to have all the hardware stainless and at least all the visible pieces also have black oxide coating.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: New Roof Rack for Vanagons Reply with quote

Nice, I love full roof racks. That's a shite load of work to get to that point, good on you. Are there section lengths to make a full length one that is a little shorter to keep the front end back a little further out of the airstream coming up the windshield? I made a full length rack for a bay once and it howled until I made a lexan visor for it. Can you hear the difference with or without it on?
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New Roof Rack for Vanagons Reply with quote

Hi Jim, I like your rack, especially how it covers the entire roof area.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New Roof Rack for Vanagons Reply with quote

Is this so you can put another Vanagon on top? Laughing
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New Roof Rack for Vanagons Reply with quote

Did you have the Doka rack in the classifieds a little while back?

Such a cool, well built rack and I really like the integrated lighting. Any plans for fitting to a Westfalia?
Engine Conversion Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612144&highlight=
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New Roof Rack for Vanagons Reply with quote

I bought a Doka this last weekend and seller included this rack.
Is it your’s, SynchroHead?
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New Roof Rack for Vanagons Reply with quote

SyncroHead wrote:
Interesting that you point out the fasteners as it’s one of the elements we’re still ironing out. The beta version in the pics has a mix of hardware. Some stainless with black oxide and some ferrous steel with black oxide due to the availability when assembling the rack.

The plan will be to have all the hardware stainless and at least all the visible pieces also have black oxide coating.

Jim Davis

Ok!

Yeah I was pointing it bc here in Hawaii with salt air and acidic rain, that shit matters, even if the threads will make it out ok with antiseize, the washer contact chews up the aluminum that turns into white chalks. I installed solar for 10 years here with a mix of hardware like that, I went back on my own installations years later for servicing to witness first hand how bad it can be. I was like, eh, its bc its on roofs.
I took out some hi-beam lights recently after 8 years of service on my personal van, aluminum brackets, stainless steel hardware, oh my, the bracket were so bad!!

But I see that you don`t leave any room for mistake here, I wish you all the best, you have one bad ass modular product that can be sold to a lot of different vehicules with gutters Cool Cool

Aloha!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
SyncroHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: New Roof Rack for Vanagons Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:
Nice, I love full roof racks. That's a shite load of work to get to that point, good on you. Are there section lengths to make a full length one that is a little shorter to keep the front end back a little further out of the airstream coming up the windshield? I made a full length rack for a bay once and it howled until I made a lexan visor for it. Can you hear the difference with or without it on?

Sorry for the delayed response. Been travelling.
There haven't been any unusual sounds. No "fluttering" or "whiring", or "buzzing". I'd say it would be elevated compare to a rackless van but no annoying noises. No shorter lengths are planned, as it was designed to maximize rack space. I'm putting a custom faring on mine that I had on my old racks - not for noise concerns but to shield the front end of the cargo with a bit of a smoother leading edge, perhaps cutting cargo wind resistance a bit.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
SyncroHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New Roof Rack for Vanagons Reply with quote

11BC2 wrote:

I bought a Doka this last weekend and seller included this rack.
Is it your’s, SynchroHead?

That is an early version of the DoKa rack. Since I got involved, we've moved the focus toward a half-rack for a Vanagon allowing two to be a full-length Vanagon rack, while assuring the half-rack would also fit a DoKa. Some of the differences are visible in the photos including MUCH beefier support feet and new wider rack to maximize space.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New Roof Rack for Vanagons Reply with quote

I could have really used a rack like that when I was using the grey tintop as a work van! The Yakima crossbars bend too easily... Shocked Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New Roof Rack for Vanagons Reply with quote

Bills85Westy wrote:
Did you have the Doka rack in the classifieds a little while back?

Such a cool, well built rack and I really like the integrated lighting. Any plans for fitting to a Westfalia?

That might have been the early version before focus switched to a full-length hardtop rack. It would have been like the one picoted on the DoKa above.

Westfalia you say? As a matter of fact, there's a pre-production version on a certain Westy now, but no dates/expectations about the future of that one right now. Trying to stay focused on the hard-top rack and get some of those in user's hands.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
SyncroHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New Roof Rack for Vanagons Reply with quote

A few photos showing the cross-bars, side rails, and attachment options.

This one, I should have run the hook through the small hole first, then up through the slot. You get the idea...

I should have had something better than a ladder to attach, but that's what was handy. Smile

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
SyncroHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New Roof Rack for Vanagons Reply with quote

Interested in mounting Thule or Yakima load bars on the roof rack?

It's simple with this new rack. Since the side-rails are quite strong and come with attachment points at numerous locations alog their length, it's as simple as using the appropriate U-bolt and backing plate. We might offer a backing plate much parger that the ones that typically come with U-bolts, but we're still working that out.

Thule load bar mounting:

Yakima load bar mounting:

Pease let me know (via email) if you'd like further information. I've gathered several names now to get back to soon.

Jim Davis
[email protected]

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: New Roof Rack for Vanagons Reply with quote

That rack would be awesome for someone with a tin top that wanted to use a roof top tent system. Nice! Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
SyncroHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New Roof Rack for Vanagons Reply with quote

We have initial pricing for the full-length roof rack:

Both full-length versions include:
4 Side rails, 12 cross-bars, 1 front member,1 rear member, 2 side rail joining brackets, and associated fasteners.
Standard version: Includes 8 support feet and 8 gutter clamps: $1,950
Heavy-duty version: Includes 12 support feet and 12 gutter clamps: $2,250
Additional options:
Prepped for four side and two rear LED lights +$150
OR
Prepped for side and rear LED lights AND includes 6 lights +$450

They’re made in Salt Lake City and shipping is about $120 - $180.
I can calculate shipping after you select options.

The photos of the rack here on TheSamba were the heavy-duty version with 12 feet and including the LED lights.

We’re hoping to gather 5 orders by July 10 and do the first production run for shipping about 30 days later.

Please contact me via email ASAP to discuss an order.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
SyncroHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New Roof Rack for Vanagons Reply with quote

I placed an ad in the Vanagon parts section, but it was somehow deactivated. I'm supposing that the "Parts - Type 2/Bus - Vanagon" section is just for individual sales, not new product sales like this.

I've reposted the ad in the classifieds section called "Vendors - New Parts - Accessories" Hope that's the right thing to do.

It's here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2392472

Thanks!

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: