Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Temperature Sensor for Fuel Injection
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rammuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: Temperature Sensor for Fuel Injection Reply with quote

Hi

Trying to replace the sensor but can't seem to find its location ( Vanagon 89 2.1L )

The sensor I bought http://www.gowesty.com/product/electrical/4070/temperature-sensor-for-fuel-injection-?v=

I did find this sensor location http://www.gowesty.com/product/electrical/4068/coolant-temperature-sensor-?v=

Are they the same?! Is the one I bought replace it?

If not where is that sensor located

Thanks[/url]
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature Sensor for Fuel Injection Reply with quote

I'm fairly certain the Temp sensor that screws in fits the 1.9 engine and maybe some early 2.1 engines.

The Temp sensor with the retaining clip (non-threaded) fits the 2.1 engine. That's the one I replaced on my 89, 2.1 engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature Sensor for Fuel Injection Reply with quote

Screw in sensor fits 2.1 Syncro and any 2.1 2 WD with an aluminum thermostat housing upgrade.

1.9's ? I don't know.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature Sensor for Fuel Injection Reply with quote

The screw-in Temp sensor fits the 1.9. I had to replace that sensor on my 84, 1.9 as well as a few other thingy's to get it running when I first purchased it back in 07.

I'm not sure why Go-westy lists the screw-in Temp Sensor for 83-91 unless there were some very early 2.1s that used that sensor. The Bentley is not really clear on it for the 2.1's, but Go-westy's explanation does indicate as Dave stated.

Same part number for the 1.9 engine: 0-280-130-026 as Autohausaz and others lists.

https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/0280130026
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature Sensor for Fuel Injection Reply with quote

rammuk wrote:
Trying to replace the sensor but can't seem to find its location ( Vanagon 89 2.1L )

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rammuk wrote:
The sensor I bought http://www.gowesty.com/product/electrical/4070/temperature-sensor-for-fuel-injection-?v=

If your 2.1 van is a Syncro or has a metal t-stat housing, that's the correct sensor.

If your 2.1 van is not a Syncro or still has a plastic t-stat housing, you need this sensor: http://www.gowesty.com/product/electrical/4068/coolant-temperature-sensor-?v=

rammuk wrote:
Are they the same?!

They are functionally the same, but do not mount the same. The one you bought screws into a metal housing; the other presses into a plastic housing and is held in place with a clip. Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Temperature Sensor for Fuel Injection Reply with quote

I replaced my Temperature Sensor II today. Also known as the "ECU Temperature Sensor" or as the title of this thread states "Temperature Sensor for Fuel Injection". I figured I'd give a few pointers while this is fresh in my mind.

This van is a 1989 2WD, so it has the plastic thermostat housing and the "push-in" sensor, not the threaded one above. All 1986-1991 2WD Vanagons in the USA came with the 2.1L Digifant engine system, the plastic thermostat housing and this "push-in" sensor.

Pictured here:
https://www.gowesty.com/product/electrical/4068/coolant-temperature-sensor-?v=

Be certain to get the new O-ring with it too, Part: N90316802

The issue with mine was showing much too low a resistance, telling the ECU the engine was much warmer than it was.

To change this sensor you'll need a flathead (straight) screwdriver, a pair of slip-joint pliers, and safety glasses. Do this with the engine cold if at all possible. Some coolant with come out and splatter at you a bit.

1. Prepare your new sensor by placing the O-ring on the metal sensor cylinder. Take the sensor, the screwdriver and the pliers with you under the van.
2. Put on your safety glasses and crawl under the van from forward of the left rear wheel and work yourself backward toward the engine. You've probably already done this while diagnosing your issue. The temperature sensor is on the forward side of the lower thermostat housing and it's wires come toward you from this position.
3. Unplug the sensor's 2-wire connector by depressing the wire clip and pull back on the connector, not the wires. This can be done with one hand.
4. Pry out the retaining clip with the screwdriver and remove it completely. I tried leaving mine in slightly and the sensor would not come out.
5. Be prepared for some coolant to come out. Use the slip-joint pliers to grasp the old sensor's connector and pull the sensor out. I tried by hand without the pliers because I forgot to bring them under the van. Couldn't pull it out without pliers. Coolant will splurp out a bit. Maybe a cup worth if you're not too slow.
6. IMPORTANT: When you get the sensor out, make sure the old O-ring is out and accounted for. If the sensor comes out without the O-ring (highly likely), you'll need to reach your finger in the sensor hole and get it out. The new sensor can't be installed with both the old O-ring and the new one. (Don't ask!)
7. Push the new sensor and with new O-ring into the hole, by hand at first. This is sufficient to stop the coolant leaking. Then, grasp the sensor's connector with the pliers and push it in firmly. The O-ring is fresh and not yet compressed, so this takes a bit of a firm push. You may want to twist the sensor's orientation so the spring retainer on the wiring harness is in an accessible, visible place for connecting and disconnecting the sensor wires in the future. (The side of the sensor's connector with a single alignment rib is the side with the connector's retaining clip.)
8. While still pushing in on the sensor's connector with the pliers, insert the retaining clip back into place. The sensor must be fully seated into the hole for the retaining clip to me inserted.
9. Reconnect the wires to the sensor and make sure you hear or feel the connector's retainer clip "click" into place.
10. Find that while you've replaced a bad sensor, this did not solve your van's issue and continue your diagnostic procedure.

Hope this helps!

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HeinleinTrooper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature Sensor for Fuel Injection Reply with quote

Thanks for that write-up. I saved that into my Vanagon knowledge folder for reference.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: