Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel pump relay coil circuit fault = bad input to ECU?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Fuel pump relay coil circuit fault = bad input to ECU? Reply with quote

hi folks.

Under Vanagon Digifant, if the fuel pump relay 85/86 coil circuit had an intermittent break or constant voltage drop, since the ECU supplies (my term) a ground to energize that relay coil, could the ECU see that as a "bad" input then possibly adversely affect other engine management component(s)?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump relay coil circuit fault = bad input to ECU? Reply with quote

Not perceived perhaps, but definitely affecting, since a fuel pump going in and out could affect O2 sensors values due to fuel trim and regulated pressure getting wonky. I would be surprised with our simple systems if anything much is perceived by the ECU.
Later engine management systems have so much more in the way of feedback circuits to give an ECU info.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
RawUmber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump relay coil circuit fault = bad input to ECU? Reply with quote

The ECU sees the Fuel Pump relay coil as an output and doesn't 'know' whether it is working or not (ie, not an input).

Low fuel pressure's effect on engine performance could possibly be measured on the O2 sensor, Air Flow Meter, and Coolant Temp sensor, which could cause the ECU to adjust the fuel injection quantity given the parameters of the moment. However, once your relay is repaired/replaced, everything is back to normal the next time you start your van.

An intermittent relay coil can cause intermittent relay switching, which may add a little wear/tear to the fuel pump, relay contacts, and ECU fuel pump driver transistor, but to what degree would depend upon the circumstance.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump relay coil circuit fault = bad input to ECU? Reply with quote

RawUmber wrote:
The ECU sees the Fuel Pump relay coil as an output and doesn't 'know' whether it is working or not (ie, not an input).

Low fuel pressure's effect on engine performance could possibly be measured on the O2 sensor, Air Flow Meter, and Coolant Temp sensor, which could cause the ECU to adjust the fuel injection quantity given the parameters of the moment. However, once your relay is repaired/replaced, everything is back to normal the next time you start your van.

An intermittent relay coil can cause intermittent relay switching, which may add a little wear/tear to the fuel pump, relay contacts, and ECU fuel pump driver transistor, but to what degree would depend upon the circumstance.

jlrftype7 wrote:
Not perceived perhaps, but definitely affecting, since a fuel pump going in and out could affect O2 sensors values due to fuel trim and regulated pressure getting wonky. I would be surprised with our simple systems if anything much is perceived by the ECU.
Later engine management systems have so much more in the way of feedback circuits to give an ECU info.

Very helpful information. Thanks very much!

I'd always thought of this type of relay as behaving in an "on or off" manner; it would work "100%" or fail "100%" Today I wondered if a voltage drop on the coil side could cause the relay switch to sporadically open/close but still work well enough to allow the engine to run. I also wondered that if the 86 leg join to coil was broken, current might instead try to pass through the suppression resistor to the coil.

The relay in question is a "WBX 53" on my Jetta conversion which has Motronic 2.9 but figured asking after Vanagon Digifant would help regardless.

After replacing this fuel pump relay, it feels like starting, running are consistently better and I'm hopeful I've solved the random stall and/or dip in idle when coming to a stop issue.

If the other 53 relay (ECU etc. power) is the same make (design) I'll pull it and see what it looks like inside.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: