Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Driver seat battery box measured (with pics)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Driver seat battery box measured (with pics) Reply with quote

I've been researching house batteries.
I'm in an un-enviable ( Wink ) situation here - I have a trip coming up in less than 3 weeks and no time to round up the components for the chinese LiPo 120Ah system.
What I need to do, is borrow a battery or something. Wink
Or buy a decent one and wait 3-5 years for better LiPo deals?

Anyway I decided to post a Technical Service Bulletin with the box dimensions of the battery box.
I hope I got it all correct.
LMK if you see any errors and I will try to edit, so it's correct.

The first thing to note is that you cannot just measure the top rectangular opening and size a battery from that.
The top opening is quite a bit larger than the box floor.

It looks like the rectangular volume that fits the floor of the hole is 11.75 x 6.75 x 6.75
Apparently a Group 27 fits down in there (as long as it's no more than 12 inches) but protrudes above a couple inches above.
See thread: Large battery under driver's seat?

And tclark's thread: extending the passenger/driver battery box which lost its tclark pics. But member jordauto loaded his pics into thesamba gallery thus pics are still showing.

Im pretty bummed that I can’t find a commercially available 100Ah Lithium that “just fits”.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is a Syncro. I don't know if the 2WD has this triangle.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:01 am; edited 2 times in total
jordauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver seat battery box measured (with pics) Reply with quote

Another option is cut out the bottom of the battery box and extend it down to frame section. Then it will fit any standard group 24, and I’ve installed a group 27. The larger one is tight but doable. See this thread, towards the bottom of the first page is how I did it. I currently have a group 27, 138AH lifepo4 in there which has power to spare for the truck fridge, Espar furnace and LED lighting, plus 400w inverter for small items that need 120v. I have yet to figure out how to heat the battery for winter charging. The downside to lifepo4. Mine is two wheel drive but I think the battery boxes are the same, at least mine looks like yours.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=500310
Nitramrebrab72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Driver seat battery box measured (with pics) Reply with quote

Varta LFD75's type 175wx278lx195h. are the largest that will fit, and even those need protection from shorting across the battery box lid. The best option is to replace the steel lid with a thin black fiber glass sheet (not carbon fibre) without having to butcher your nice and clean original battery box.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Driver seat battery box measured (with pics) Reply with quote

Nitramrebrab72 wrote:
...without having to butcher your nice and clean original battery box.

Well, I “butchered” my battery box when I first got my van 20 years ago and have never regretted it:

The standard Odyssey battery fits in perfectly and wedged in tight the long-ended way. As shown, with the seat back all the way I still have access to my fuses and storage on both sides for spare fuses, various adapter wires & such. If you are really worried about the positive terminal under the seat you can position the battery laid over on its side. The trick to a nice installation is to smooth off the cut metal nicely, sand it all down and paint it. I really think this is the ideal battery setup. And I like it that people can see my battery by peeking into the van.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Driver seat battery box measured (with pics) Reply with quote

Sodo, unless its very rare, the 2wd vans don't have the "wedge" outer corner in the box area.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Driver seat battery box measured (with pics) Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:

The standard Odyssey battery fits in perfectly and wedged in tight the long-ended way.
What group size is that battery?

Gnarlodious wrote:

And I like it that people can see my battery by peeking into the van.

I'm curious why you like this - inquiring minds want to know (Hope I'm not dating myself with that line....)
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Driver seat battery box measured (with pics) Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Sodo, unless its very rare, the 2wd vans don't have the "wedge" outer corner in the box area.

That wedge is Syncro specific for better tire clearance.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Driver seat battery box measured (with pics) Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:

Thanks for notes Mark & MsTaboo
So on a 2wd that’s converted to 4wd, does the tire touch the box corner?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Driver seat battery box measured (with pics) Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
Nitramrebrab72 wrote:
...without having to butcher your nice and clean original battery box.

Well, I “butchered” my battery box when I first got my van 20 years ago and have never regretted it:

The standard Odyssey battery fits in perfectly and wedged in tight the long-ended way. As shown, with the seat back all the way I still have access to my fuses and storage on both sides for spare fuses, various adapter wires & such. If you are really worried about the positive terminal under the seat you can position the battery laid over on its side. The trick to a nice installation is to smooth off the cut metal nicely, sand it all down and paint it. I really think this is the ideal battery setup. And I like it that people can see my battery by peeking into the van.

What am I looking at here? I'm definitely a function over form guy as well and I like the size of that battery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Driver seat battery box measured (with pics) Reply with quote

J Charlton wrote:
What am I looking at here? I'm definitely a function over form guy as well and I like the size of that battery.

This battery is the Odyssey PC1200 AGM at 42Ah. Its a standard size at 7-11/16” the long way which wedges down in there perfectly like you see. I found the box to be superfluous so I cut it out, which allows a bigger battery to be put in and I don’t need a holddown. This is my third PC1200 in 18 years and never a problem.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver seat battery box measured (with pics) Reply with quote

I have not noticed any contact in normal driving with my conversion. It would need to probably be full lock with a larger tire and full compression to touch the battery box. Van's ride height is taller by a couple inches over the 2wd suspension. I wasn't too concerned about it.
puchfinnland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver seat battery box measured (with pics) Reply with quote

https://www.renogy.com/12v-100ah-smart-lithium-iro...m8QAvD_BwE

perfect fit, ask Ken Wilford at Vanagain.com, he is a dealer now
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver seat battery box measured (with pics) Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
Gnarlodious wrote:

The standard Odyssey battery fits in perfectly and wedged in tight the long-ended way.
What group size is that battery?

Gnarlodious wrote:

And I like it that people can see my battery by peeking into the van.

I'm curious why you like this - inquiring minds want to know (Hope I'm not dating myself with that line....)

The Odyssey battery line is not made for a specific vehicle or application and have no Group Size. The PC1200 is dimensions 7.87 x 6.66 x 6.80. Odyssey sells a full line of accessories that make their batteries universal. The same applies to the Optima batteries.

My van is like a mobile office, I have my computer 28” display beside the battery and my van is full of custom wiring and electronics. The conspicous battery is part of the image, I guess. Plus keeping it exposed runs cooler in the summer heat.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver seat battery box measured (with pics) Reply with quote

puchfinnland wrote:
https://www.renogy.com/12v-100ah-smart-lithium-iro...m8QAvD_BwE

perfect fit, ask Ken Wilford at Vanagain.com, he is a dealer now

Dimensions:11.4 x 6.8 x 7.4 inch

That’s pretty close, 7.4” is a bit taller than the 6.75 box depth.
That doesn’t seem like “perfect”.
Or are you saying it DOES fit inside the battery box?

kevinm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver seat battery box measured (with pics) Reply with quote

Has anyone successfully installed the Renogy 100 Ah battery in the driver's side battery box? Looks like a tight fit. If so, can you describe how you accounted for the tall size, relative to the battery box height?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: