Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tomahawk 1.25 ratio
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Tomahawk 1.25 ratio Reply with quote

Hi...have any of you old school vw engine builders remember these 40hp-1600 aluminum tomahawk 1.25 ratio rocker arms ...what would be the down side of using them ...i know why when there are new better 1.25 ratio out there ...well im looking for old school parts for a 1500cc 40hp okrasa and I think they will fit my goal but not if they will be a problem..anybody run these in the past...heres a set on the classified adds.👇👇
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2371795
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomahawk 1.25 ratio Reply with quote

They will be fine, as long as you do not use excessive spring pressure. A set of CB sgl´s w. approx. 200 lbs @ 1" would be the most I would use.

T
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomahawk 1.25 ratio Reply with quote

I was given a w110 and w120 camshaft I was planning on using one of them but I've seen they are to be used with dual springs.. so looks like there's gonna be a problem since I must use the single springs for these rocker arms .
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomahawk 1.25 ratio Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Hi...have any of you old school vw engine builders remember these 40hp-1600 aluminum tomahawk 1.25 ratio rocker arms ...what would be the down side of using them ...i know why when there are new better 1.25 ratio out there ...well im looking for old school parts for a 1500cc 40hp okrasa and I think they will fit my goal but not if they will be a problem..anybody run these in the past...heres a set on the classified adds.👇👇
.....................................................………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..hi. yes I ran them in the 1970s .they did not work well for every day driving. there not the best made 1.25 rockers .I would get a better set .like race trim befor I would pay $125.00 for them I had them .they come apart . that's why I stopped using them . if they were that good they would be still making them today. I know you want the old school look but know one can see them under your valve covers lol also they would not be legal for formula vee racing . good luck just my two cents
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomahawk 1.25 ratio Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
.....................................................………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..hi. yes I ran them in the 1970s .they did not work well for every day driving. there not the best made 1.25 rockers .I would get a better set .like race trim befor I would pay $125.00 for them I had them .they come apart . that's why I stopped using them . if they were that good they would be still making them today. I know you want the old school look but know one can see them under your valve covers lol also they would not be legal for formula vee racing . good luck just my two cents

I've bought a set for $35shipped I got them today in the mail 😁 ...just seeing if they are worth it or just putt them in a shelf ...my brother in law friend works at a local forged facility he told me he can make them but in forged steel identical specs of these tomahawks ...all day I been thinking if I should it will keep my engine goals inline ..i get we won't see them since there under the valve covers but I'm hard headed and I want what I want but I'm debating to have them made lol 🤷‍♂️
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Tomahawk 1.25 ratio Reply with quote

old school stuff...like pauter rollers under the valve cover,,,, those tomyhawlks wood of been better if they had a rib on the top...but they dont. you can do the steel but thats gonns be counter productive due to the weight unless you do some cnc work and lighten them up in the right places. you do not have to run duel springs with those cams.but you also dont need to be zinging it up either. you can also use tit retainers and call them aluminum,also tit adjuster nuts and call them aluminum too.hell I have aluminum adjuster nuts on my 2393 rockers.I had tit nuts on my 2028. my jessels have aluminum nuts, my t&d have no nuts Shocked but I may remechine them to use nuts.changing stand shims or pr length would be a pain in the ass...unless I used those on my hyd roller. I see no real addvantage with the tomahawalk rockers since they are still the short piviot length. better off just getting the emnpi 1.25 with adjusters on the pushrod end of rocker, they lave a longer pivot length, work much better and save guides. also empi is old school...there older than squat.....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: