Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru Conversion. New Owner.
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Connor84Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Subaru Conversion. New Owner. Reply with quote

Hi, recently picked up a 1984 VW Westfalia Wolfsburg Edition. I have the original water cooled 1.9 engine, when I brought her home and prior to even forking over the cash, it ran pretty good just needed a tune up and no black or blue smoke coming from the exhaust!

Before tune up:
Exhaust Leak and rust repair.
New expansion tank + Coolant bleed
New air intake boot.

After tune up: Spark plugs, Ignition wires, rotor, and cap. Doing the oil change tomorrow and installing a new ignition coil.

After I did the work I started to get black smoke coming out at higher rpms.
I am going to start with some additives to help out but, I'm just unsure on how worried I should be. I was planning on either the ej22 or ej25 Subaru swap down the line just wanted to hold on as long as possible so I could address some other things. will more than likely have a follow up post another time.

Any info would be helpful as I am quite young and wan't to do most work myself! Thanks.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Conversion. New Owner. Reply with quote

Welcome to The Samba!

You will find more info in the “Vanagon” threads.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: