Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'50 speedometer mounting
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: '50 speedometer mounting Reply with quote

… looked at SINCLAIRE's 1949 speedo picture, posted on 6/22 and noticed it was mounted in the pod, differently than mine -
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

……………..………………………………………………………………………………………………

… and this is my 1950 standard speedo inna' standard pod - looks to me, to be mounted further back in the pod - whattiya' think - is mine mounted incorrectly? And why, do you think? - z

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: '50 speedometer mounting Reply with quote

I think yours looks factory correct zen, as sinclair's looks to be unevenly mounted. is there a gasket ring between the two parts that could be missing on his?
this is from johnshenry - slight recess like yours

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: '50 speedometer mounting Reply with quote

The outer trim ring also looks to be thicker, perhaps there's a difference between BD and sedan?

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: '50 speedometer mounting Reply with quote

Well it seems it’s 100mm. Brown not chrome and stamped W 0.49 8.49 should I assume this is a Standard August speedo in my July car? As for the depth, should there be a gasket?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: '50 speedometer mounting Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
… looked at SINCLAIRE's 1949 speedo picture, posted on 6/22 and noticed it was mounted in the pod, differently than mine -

……………..………………………………………………………………………………………………

… and this is my 1950 standard speedo inna' standard pod - looks to me, to be mounted further back in the pod - whattiya' think - is mine mounted incorrectly? And why, do you think? - z

I think standard speedo have a different ring around the edge. My standard speedo is mounted exactly the same way as yours. Sinclair speedo is for deluxe.
Below is my ‘50 standard speedo pod.

Below is my ‘50 deluxe Speedo pod.

50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: '50 speedometer mounting Reply with quote

Yes, Sinclair's looks to be a deluxe pod (certainly, with a 100mm opening). I could be wrong, but the speedo looks like a deluxe with chrome (deluxe) bezel painted brown.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: '50 speedometer mounting Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
Yes, Sinclair's looks to be a deluxe pod (certainly, with a 100mm opening). I could be wrong, but the speedo looks like a deluxe with chrome (deluxe) bezel painted brown.

Yes, Sinclair’s speedo is a deluxe. Deluxe and standard speedos have different bezels.
50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: '50 speedometer mounting Reply with quote

Stranger and stranger Confused so can an 8-49 speedo possibly be original to a 27-07-49 car?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: '50 speedometer mounting Reply with quote

sinclair wrote:
Stranger and stranger Confused so can an 8-49 speedo possibly be original to a 27-07-49 car?

No.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: '50 speedometer mounting Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
sinclair wrote:

No.

Well that told me Laughing

So now I need to find a standard 49 clock and pod 😣
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: '50 speedometer mounting Reply with quote

sinclair wrote:
johnshenry wrote:
sinclair wrote:

No.

… I wouldda' thought that all clocks from 6/49 to 10/52, were all designed the same - for the deluxe as the brown dial-face looks the same as the speedo, by design - so you mean there is a smaller standard size clock, with standard brown bezel too?

My '50 11A, had a clock, back in '77, but I have changed that pod to a standard blank that I bought earlier this year - my first one, that i'm gunna' put an ( old looking) KDF flying logo sticker on - z
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: '50 speedometer mounting Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
sinclair wrote:
johnshenry wrote:
sinclair wrote:

No.

… I wouldda' thought that all clocks from 6/49 to 10/52, were all designed the same - for the deluxe as the brown dial-face looks the same as the speedo, by design - so you mean there is a smaller standard size clock, with standard brown bezel too?

My '50 11A, had a clock, back in '77, but I have changed that pod to a standard blank that I bought earlier this year - my first one, that i'm gunna' put an ( old looking) KDF flying logo sticker on - z

Sorry by clock I mean speedo.... Uk slang.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: '50 speedometer mounting Reply with quote

… Mr. Sinclaire, I have used that slang as well - referring to, "the miles on my clock" - thanks for the reminder.
z
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: