Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is this pipe outlet for ?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:47 am    Post subject: What is this pipe outlet for ? Reply with quote

Am fitting my engine today, and I realised there is an outlet at the front end of the right hand heat exhanger which seems to have no use. I remember now that when I took the engine apart, this pipe just had a (perished) rubber cap on it and was sealed off. There is no such outlet on the left hand side heat exchanger.
But I am intrigued as to what it is for. Is this in fact a heat exchanger off another model VW ? A bus ? A Beetle ? Or is this a real original Type 3 heat exchanger and they all have this unused outlet ?

Additionally I notice that one of the straps holding the insulation in place, although they both seem to be original, does not seem to be located in the groove in the metal protective cover plate that was seemingly made for it.

Anyone able to shed any light on this item ?

Thanks
G

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: What is this pipe outlet for ? Reply with quote

It is for the warm air to the air cleaner to prevent carb icing. Mine does not have that.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: What is this pipe outlet for ? Reply with quote

Yup, carb pre-heat hose fitting. Uses some of that 1 inch flex hose up to the air cleaner adapter box (mixer box) with the summer/winter controls on it. Most of the later heat exchangers don't have it (at least in the USA), due to having FI.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: What is this pipe outlet for ? Reply with quote

Plug it again if you aren't using it.
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this pipe outlet for ? Reply with quote

Aha - Yes. Gotya !! I wondered what went onto that outlet from the air filter box ! I will get some hose and join them - Not that I need it in tropical Queensland, but might in Alaska !!!
Thanks all for input - Another problem solved. Smile

Just took the doors over to an "expert VW man" this morning, so hopefully that will be done in the next few days. Now I am off to do the wiring with an auto electrician. Inserted a 30 amp fuse in the line between the battery and the regulator yesterday, so that was another job done. Tick.

Giles
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: What is this pipe outlet for ? Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:

Do you have the upright pipe that is near the head (pointed up toward the tin) capped off too? Just asking as that's a heat rise (goes into the exhaust) for the single carb manifold pre-heat like a bug uses. It gets one on the right HE, and 1 on a fitting for the left side, but that fitting is attached to the muffler.
Just thought I'd ask, as I don't see any bolts or a plate capping it off in your pic.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this pipe outlet for ? Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
Inserted a 30 amp fuse in the line between the battery and the regulator yesterday, so that was another job done. Tick. Giles

Why did you do this?
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: What is this pipe outlet for ? Reply with quote

Do you mean this upright pipe with the 2 bolt blanking plate on top, Bobnotch ?
If so, here is a pic of it while I was dismantling the engine,

After your reminder last night, I checked the engine today, now it is in the car, and you can see it is still in place - A bit shinier and cleaner now than it was !!

I hope this is the one you meant ?

G
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: What is this pipe outlet for ? Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
Qldelsie wrote:
Inserted a 30 amp fuse in the line between the battery and the regulator yesterday, so that was another job done. Tick. Giles

Why did you do this?

Safety, really. Because this line from the battery that goes via the regulator and a few other items is totally unfused until it reaches the fuse box, so any short could mean several items are fried before the fuse blew. It was a suggestion from on here, from Bobnotch, I think. Am also putting another similar inline fuse in another spot, but my diagrams are all down in the car in a workshop at the moment and I can't remember where !
G
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: What is this pipe outlet for ? Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
Do you mean this upright pipe with the 2 bolt blanking plate on top, Bobnotch ?
If so, here is a pic of it while I was dismantling the engine,

After your reminder last night, I checked the engine today, now it is in the car, and you can see it is still in place - A bit shinier and cleaner now than it was !!

I hope this is the one you meant ?

G

Yup, that's the one. Good to see you capped it off.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: