Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Car of the Century, by JT Garwood
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Car of the Century, by JT Garwood
trustworthy account of information
52%
 52%  [ 12 ]
only partially accurate
26%
 26%  [ 6 ]
not sure
21%
 21%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 23

ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Car of the Century, by JT Garwood Reply with quote

… in volume 1, for 1956, the chart shows seat frames, gear shifter and emergency brake handle, for a standard model as being BLACK, L41 - I believe, this is incorrect, based on 2 pictures, I have seen, as follows > WHO OF US IS PERFECT - Godlike?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For 1955 Garwood says and SecondAirForce says (in his 9/55 standard) and up to 12/55, all interior painted appointments, including seat frames, shifter and hand brake lever were L41. black - for STANDARD models... I believe this is accurate info.

i'll make this note in my copy of - Car of the Century.... FYI - Can you confirm?

Many thanx - Z
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK

Last edited by ZENVWDRIVER on Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:17 am; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Car of the Century, by JT Gerwood Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
Yustrn wrote:
I went to vote and did not see the "Who gives a shit" selection. Without that this poll is fake news.

… maybe no one cares, but me - thanks for your kind thoughts though - z

Unless you are restoring to a museum level does it really matter and who would know?

But if that's your thing... go for it.

I'm more familiar with late model cars but found that VW used a number of different vendors and switched them in the middle f a day not less than a model year.

My 74 has a AL78 alternator which was late 73 model and early 74 model, but has a 75 dash pad.

And I do restore distributors and have found 383s with both solid and wire cap clips with the same date code. I've seen 1951 with both and 1952.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Car of the Century, by JT Gerwood Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
Yustrn wrote:
I went to vote and did not see the "Who gives a shit" selection. Without that this poll is fake news.

… maybe no one cares, but me - thanks for your kind thoughts though - z

Unless you are restoring to a museum level does it really matter and who would know?

But if that's your thing... go for it.

I'm more familiar with late model cars but found that VW used a number of different vendors and switched them in the middle f a day not less than a model year.

My 74 has a AL78 alternator which was late 73 model and early 74 model, but has a 75 dash pad.

And I do restore distributors and have found 383s with both solid and wire cap clips with the same date code. I've seen 1951 with both and 1952.

Gottcha'Glen - I can understand, why some don't care
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Car of the Century, by JT Gerwood Reply with quote

Straight from the horse's mouth, in a letter dated 10 March 1988:

"...The wheel rim colors in the first 60 volumes [sic] were based on refinishing charts used by dealers. The charts were revised thereafter but there still may be errors. We did ask for folks to let us know if they saw any and you're the first to mention this..."

I mentioned this to him when the original rim colors on my coral red '57 did not match his charts.

I am assuming the first printing run of Volume One was limited to 60 copies and that he incorporated the updated color charts in his second (1987) printing.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Car of the Century, by JT Gerwood Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:

"...The wheel rim colors in the first 60 volumes [sic] were based on refinishing charts used by dealers. The charts were revised thereafter but there still may be errors. We did ask for folks to let us know if they saw any and you're the first to mention this..."

I mentioned this to him when the original rim colors on my coral red '57 did not match his charts.

I am assuming the first printing run of Volume One was limited to 60 copies and that he incorporated the updated color charts in his second (1987) printing.

I have relied on Mr. Garwood's volumes for 40 years and feel with ALL that information, there are bound to be some errors - I just don't know what they are, but sure would, like to know. I want to update my 2 volumes.

You have been very kind to supply this information and I remember Garwood numbered each volume, individually, placing that number on the box, the book came in - I believe both of mine, were over #60 (and I sorta' remember that, at that time). I used my number one volume, so much, that the box just about disintegrated and I was short sighted in remembering to record the production number...

… can you pick one of the errors, in your copy and advise us - then, i'll compare it to my volume and see if it is correct or not and make a notation.
i'd like to continue using my books for reference - I really care about volume one MUCH more than 2... one thing at a time, but welcome all incorrect information.

Thanks again, z
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Car of the Century, by JT Garwood Reply with quote

Quote:
… can you pick one of the errors, in your copy and advise us - then, i'll compare it to my volume and see if it is correct or not and make a notation.
i'd like to continue using my books for reference - I really care about volume one MUCH more than 2... one thing at a time, but welcome all incorrect information.

The specific instance I reported was on page 405, where the wheel outer rim color for a L351 Coral Red Beetle was listed as L351 Coral Red, not L74 Rusty Brown.

The correct colors are listed here for 1956-62 model years:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/berater_12.php

By the way, the copy number is also printed/stamped at the top right corner of the second page of both volumes...
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Car of the Century, by JT Garwood Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:
Quote:

The specific instance I reported was on page 405, where the wheel outer rim color for a L351 Coral Red Beetle was listed as L351 Coral Red, not L74 Rusty Brown.

The correct colors are listed here for 1956-62 model years:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/berater_12.php

By the way, the copy number is also printed/stamped at the top right corner of the second page of both volumes...

My volume 2 is numbered on page 2 at 0533, but that page is missing in my volume 1. So no number - darn... thank you very much for the reference info. I'll check it out today.
Also checked out page 405 and my copy reflects the updated (correct) information - so, I must have a volume AFTER one of the original 60 - thank you for all the info you supplied.
z
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Car of the Century, by JT Garwood Reply with quote

I've always seen the knobs, window winder handle ends, shifter knob and heater knob in black
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Car of the Century, by JT Gerwood Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:

My Copy on page 405 says L351 Late Coral Red as L74 Red Brown for the Wheel Outer Rims.. must be newer too
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Car of the Century, by JT Garwood Reply with quote

It's not like many people own these references. There are none for sale in the classifieds, so there
can only be a small number of people who could even respond to this poll.

Heinz Nordhoff
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Car of the Century, by JT Garwood Reply with quote

They have been out of print since the mid-1990s.

The last printings were shrink-wrapped and had white covers; these have the fewest errors. They may not have a copy number on the second page.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Car of the Century, by JT Garwood Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
It's not like many people own these references. There are none for sale in the classifieds, so there
can only be a small number of people who could even respond to this poll.

… I am learning, you may be correct, that many do not own The Car of the Century reference books, even though hundreds of copies were sold, back in the '70s and onward - I would like to update my copies and thought others might like to also - updating the incorrect information, to make the volumes as correct a source as possible...

...Garwood has to have spent a lotta' time researching, to make his volumes as complete as they are. There are a few incorrect bits of information mentioned in this thread, which will be helpful, but from the way, the hardcore ''38 to 10/52 (split-era) guys were chastising me for referring to these great volumes, I thought there wouldda' been a lot more info submitted …

… Seems like mosta' those early, split era, hardcore-guys are like little children, just shooting their (proverbial) mouths off with little Garwood-knowledge - they do have interesting forums and I guess, i'll just have to endure their childish-ways when participating in their conversation.

I was afraid this might happen - that putting this subject in any other type one category, other than in the split-era category, might have reaped, more fruitless results - I did enter a subject note in that category, referencing this one, to be more inclusive, but our fearless leader, Everette, did not see it that way and "locked" that thread - he may not be as dedicated to correctness as I had hopped and may actually be more inclined to be like the hardcore-split-children,but it's his sight and his rules, we must follow, if we wanna' be here at all.

I am sorta' disappointed that the contributions are not more numerous, but like you alluded, Mr. Baron, maybe there are not many with copies of this reference, after all - I thank you, for your thoughtful input... z
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Last edited by ZENVWDRIVER on Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Car of the Century, by JT Garwood Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:
They have been out of print since the mid-1990s.

The last printings were shrink-wrapped and had white covers; these have the fewest errors. They may not have a copy number on the second page.

…. Yes, I also have this (less interesting) 1961 and later volume 2, of Car of the Century. I bought it much later than my volume one, justa' have the complete set - and yes the number is on page 2 - mine is #533 - I thank you very much for your contribution... z
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Car of the Century, by JT Garwood Reply with quote

Let's put it this way Zen, this is my reference library, and I don't have Garwood!

Heinz Nordhoff
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Car of the Century, by JT Garwood Reply with quote

I really applaud your effort zen to identify errata with garwood and other sources. garwood should be credited with the work he did to try to unearth and record info for the benefit of those following. it is easy to shout it down but more constructive to offer corrections.
there is an ocd part of me that often feels the same about all the info on the samba, which is growing outwards like a hydra all the time, and I want to distil it, delete duplications and categorise it in neat order.
so I'm with you in spirit but perhaps we will find more peace by relinquishing our striving for authentic perfection!

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Car of the Century, by JT Garwood Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
Let's put it this way Zen, this is my reference library, and I don't have Garwood!

Hey "Blue Baron" and all! Way off topic here for a second, but in looking at the photo of your reference book stand, I see what looks like two walking canes with those small European destination plaques nailed to them. In my much younger days of wandering around Europe for a couple of summer seasons with a Euro-rail pass and a youth hostel book in my backpack I started collecting those plaques at lots of destinations. I noticed them mostly mounted onto walking canes, hiking staffs and climbing ice pick handles. Anyway, my question: what is the "name" or general description of those plaques, in English and if possible in German? I somehow remember folks referring to then as "Stocknagel" or something similar to that. Anyone know what I'm asking about. Thanks, you can now all go about this topics business...

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Car of the Century, by JT Garwood Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:

... NICE reference to your very complete-looking library - we hava' lot of the same publications, but not as neatly organized -

Must tell you, I would be very sad, if I had all of your publication-collection and did not have the best one of all - Car of the Century - not very attainable any more - think you're outta' luck Sad But better to have an incomplete collection, than none at all...
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Car of the Century, by JT Garwood Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Blue Baron wrote:

Hey "Blue Baron" and all! Way off topic here for a second, but in looking at the photo of your reference book stand, I see what looks like two walking canes with those small European destination plaques nailed to them. In my much younger days of wandering around Europe for a couple of summer seasons with a Euro-rail pass and a youth hostel book in my backpack I started collecting those plaques at lots of destinations. I noticed them mostly mounted onto walking canes, hiking staffs and climbing ice pick handles. Anyway, my question: what is the "name" or general description of those plaques, in English and if possible in German? I somehow remember folks referring to then as "Stocknagel" or something similar to that. Anyone know what I'm asking about. Thanks, you can now all go about this topics business...

Bill Bowman

Hey Bill - here is one-na' those cane-plaques on my '55 113 dash - above the ash tray and to the left of the lighter knob - believe it or not, but some non-planner drilled a hole for a lighter in the curved-sculptured area and later realized the lighter's not gunna' work there and left the hole for me- covered the hole, with that cane-plaque...

1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Car of the Century, by JT Garwood Reply with quote

bullibill - stocknadel, sometimes stocknagel or wanderstock abzeichen - plenty available on the 'net

bluebaron - what's that book 'is your volkswagen a sex...'

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Car of the Century, by JT Garwood Reply with quote

Thanks for the above reply about the cane plaque name, wow, my memory isn't that far gone, I was close!

The name of that book (I've got one too) is "Is your Volkswagen a sex symbol"

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: