Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flipseat Table clamp bolt source?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject: Flipseat Table clamp bolt source? Reply with quote

Not sure why I even checked it now since I'm up to my eyeballs in other, more pressing stuff, but the bolt for the table clamp in my flipseat is seized. Looks like it rusted up. Also looks like they ran it through backwards.. .can someone confirm that? If it's in correctly, I've been working on the section.. lol

It's not THAT bad, but a week or so of heat cycles (heat gun, not a torch... don't want to melt the knob) and PB Blaster and nothing... not even a twitch, except for the knob attempting to work itself loose..

I haven't given up on this one, but it's looking less and less likely that I'll be able to free it up so I'm starting the hunt for a replacement. I'm assuming that just the knob/bolt will not be available by themselves, so I'm wondering if there's a modern, off the shelf stand in for the OG version? If I can find that, then I know I can get this out and back into shape. Heat, vise grips, and more PB Blaster followed by a cleanout tap and it'll be good to go..

Anyone got a lead on these (OG or new replica)?

thanks (and a couple of pics of my frustration)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Flipseat Table clamp bolt source? Reply with quote

One side of the clamp is going to have threads, the other side will be tread-less. Keep using the penetrating oil and rap on the side of the threaded side of the clamp daily for five or so minutes with a light hammer. Vibration should break up the rust, allowing the penetrating oil further and further inside the threads.

Did same with an old walk behind David Bradley tractor. Took over a week to get the threads of the clutch to move and soon adterward work completely free.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Flipseat Table clamp bolt source? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
One side of the clamp is going to have threads, the other side will be tread-less. Keep using the penetrating oil and rap on the side of the threaded side of the clamp daily for five or so minutes with a light hammer. Vibration should break up the rust, allowing the penetrating oil further and further inside the threads.

Did same with an old walk behind David Bradley tractor. Took over a week to get the threads of the clutch to move and soon afterward work completely free.

That tracks with what I was seeing, so it definitely seems like it's in backwards.

10-4 on the hammer and penetrating oil.. pretty much what I've been doing along with heat. I need to see if I can find some pics of the table in action to make sure I'm looking at it right and working on the correct end. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Flipseat Table clamp bolt source? Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:

10-4 on the hammer and penetrating oil.. pretty much what I've been doing along with heat. I need to see if I can find some pics of the table in action to make sure I'm looking at it right and working on the correct end. Laughing

Are you also trying to rotate the knob BOTH ways? You want to get it to move either direction to just loosen it the tiniest bit. Once you get any movement you have almost won the battle.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Flipseat Table clamp bolt source? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

Are you also trying to rotate the knob BOTH ways? You want to get it to move either direction to just loosen it the tiniest bit. Once you get any movement you have almost won the battle.

For sure. Any motion is good motion. (Un?)fortunately, it's not the first time I've had to deal with a stuck bolt.. just the first time I don't have a replacement part available if I screw it up. Very Happy

If I had a spare, I'd just hit it with the oxy-acetylene torch to get is super toasty or just cut it off and drill it out... My two favorite tools - brute force and ignorance - won't really work this time. Laughing
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Flipseat Table clamp bolt source? Reply with quote

Might try one of these also:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trk...elt+wrench
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Flipseat Table clamp bolt source? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Might try one of these also:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trk...elt+wrench

In this case, more torque isn’t my friend. The knob is already a tad loose. If I had a replacement part, I’d throw a pipe wrench on it. Sadly, slow and steady is the order of the day (unless someone offers up an OG replacement Laughing )

And yes, I’m a little disappointed in myself... I almost never turn down the opportunity to add to the toolbox. Don’t tell anyone! Very Happy
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Flipseat Table clamp bolt source? Reply with quote

Have you thought about removing the knob to prevent damaging it? I assume it’s a square peg with a split pin of some type?
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Flipseat Table clamp bolt source? Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
Have you thought about removing the knob to prevent damaging it? I assume it’s a square peg with a split pin of some type?

That was an awesome thought and I literally went straight to the garage to check. But no, the knob appears to be molded to the bolt. Definitely no pin. I’d have felt incredibly dumb if there was (grateful, but dumb).

And the heat is allowing it to rotate even more (like about 1/3 of a turn), so I’m back to soak, tap, crank, swear, wait, repeat...I got the handle sort of locked back on, but I don’t want to push it...
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Flipseat Table clamp bolt source? Reply with quote

Soak with Kroil, rotate both directions until you get some movement.

You can also mix up some acetone/ATF 50/50 which is a great cheap penetrate.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Flipseat Table clamp bolt source? Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
Soak with Kroil, rotate both directions until you get some movement.

You can also mix up some acetone/ATF 50/50 which is a great cheap penetrate.

I've got PB Blaster and usually have good luck with it.. I've heard about but never used ATF/acetone... I may switch to that since it might be thinner and penetrate better. May have to visit Project Farm on YouTube for comparison. (if you've not found that guy yet, go check it out!)

The only thing I've got going for me is that I'm in exactly zero hurry (as long as I don't let myself get frustrated), so *theoretically* this will eventually come loose. For now, it's just giving me the big middle finger... Laughing
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Flipseat Table clamp bolt source? Reply with quote

time, soaking in your anti-seize of choice 505/50 atf + acetone (makes good cheap anti seize) *tap* repeatedly (no beating on it or screwing up threads) with hammer should eventually break the hold that rust seems to have on it right now
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Flipseat Table clamp bolt source? Reply with quote

If you do end up giving up and breaking out a torch - submerge the plastic knob in ice water while heating it up.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Flipseat Table clamp bolt source? Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
If you do end up giving up and breaking out a torch - submerge the plastic knob in ice water while heating it up.

Yeah, I was pondering how to keep the handle cool.. Ice water isn't a bad plan... holding everything in place with the handle in water might prove challenging, but it's certainly a possibility. My other thought was clamping a big chuck on aluminum on the bolt just in front of the handle..

I'll keep whacking at this (literally) for a while longer. If the PB Blaster doesn't get me anywhere in another couple of weeks, I'll move to a new penetrant. Hoping I don't have to move back to heat.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Flipseat Table clamp bolt source? Reply with quote

Got to not only have the handle in cold water, but also some of the shaft. Just the handle cooled will result in the shaft melting the plastic inside.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Flipseat Table clamp bolt source? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Got to not only have the handle in cold water, but also some of the shaft. Just the handle cooled will result in the shaft melting the plastic inside.

Yup... that was my thought with the chunk-o-aluminum... maybe a combination of the aluminum and ice water
Box on Wheels
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Flipseat Table clamp bolt source? Reply with quote

Have you tried moving the washer back a little and then using a needle nose vise gripe to pinch the two open parts together where the pole slides in? Years ago I had accidentally unscrewed mine all the way and had a bear of a time putting it back in. When I tightened the gap I was able to wiggle the screw back and forth until it came out and was able to thread it correctly afterwards.
67 Titian Red SO-42 Pop-Top walk-thru Westfalia
64 Safari Beige Sunroof Notchback
97 993 S Coupe
97 993 Cabriolet
04 996 C4S Coupe

God, guts, and guns made America great!
Live free or Die
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Flipseat Table clamp bolt source? Reply with quote

Box on Wheels wrote:
Have you tried moving the washer back a little and then using a needle nose vise gripe to pinch the two open parts together where the pole slides in? Years ago I had accidentally unscrewed mine all the way and had a bear of a time putting it back in. When I tightened the gap I was able to wiggle the screw back and forth until it came out and was able to thread it correctly afterwards.

I haven't tried that, but it's a good suggestion. Since the bolt was put in backwards (likely for exactly the same problem that you had), I ass-u-me-d that it wasn't binding... easy enough to give the two sides a squeeze... I'll try that today...
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Flipseat Table clamp bolt source? Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
Box on Wheels wrote:

I haven't tried that, but it's a good suggestion. Since the bolt was put in backwards (likely for exactly the same problem that you had), I ass-u-me-d that it wasn't binding... easy enough to give the two sides a squeeze... I'll try that today...

Nope.... there's light coming evenly all around the end that's going through the un-threaded hole so it's not jammed in there. you have no idea how disappointed I am.. except that did confirm that this is in the wrong way and I've been working the correct section...
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Flipseat Table clamp bolt source? Reply with quote

Without cutting into the pretty black nob, could you hacksaw at an angle a slot in the steel side that is bound and lightly pound a chisel tip into the kerf. Then weld the steel back together and chase it with a tap.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: