Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cross Country in a 66 Square
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
grenadeAcorn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

3100 Miles in a newly purchased 1966 Squareback!

For some reason I think its a good idea and pretty much will be the longest I have driven in an Aircooled VW.

I purchased the car a few weeks ago sight unseen from a reputable vw reseller for my awesome wife and our 23rd Anniversary.

She loves it; but having it home in Washington would be pretty nice.

So we have decided to make a week long adventure of it: Danville VA to Bellingham WA!

Planning Seeing the sights, take back roads, winging it and enjoy the journey.

Myself, my wife and our 6 year old back seat nag-ivator.

Plane tickets bought, spare parts ordered, new tires installed, Oil change and valve adjustment in the works.

We set out July 3rd, wish us luck and we will be sure to take some pics along the way!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

I did out and back (around 9000 miles) this past September in my '65 and it went great!

Would love to do it again.
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

Nothing like a long road trip !!
Make sure you have some good music - Especially for the 6 year old navigator !!
Enjoy !
(My sister lives in Anacortes !!)
G
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

It will be awesome! Just an FYI... once the temp hits 98, just close the vent windows or it will feel like a hair dryer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

vwfye wrote:
It will be awesome! Just an FYI... once the temp hits 98, just close the vent windows or it will feel like a hair dryer.

In this type of weather is when the pop outs really make a difference. You get full air circulation without it blasting you in the face. Just keep a nice steady pace, down shift on the grades, and everything should be fine.

Great looking car Very Happy
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

What about these things ? Are they any good ?
G

sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

ProTip: if you can find 'em, try to get yourself a Kool Kooshion or equivalent:

When I was a kid we had a '77 Plymouth Volare wagon with blue vinyl interior and no A/C. So I remember these cushions from growing up - they keep your butt off the vinyl seat and allow air to circulate under, greatly increasing hot weather comfort.

These used to be available on Amazon but they seem to be out of stock at the moment.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:

When I was a kid we had a '77 Plymouth Volare wagon with blue vinyl interior and no A/C. So I remember these cushions from growing up - they keep your butt off the vinyl seat and allow air to circulate under, greatly increasing hot weather comfort.

These used to be available on Amazon but they seem to be out of stock at the moment.

That's why I went with velour seats in my Notch. I hate sitting on vinyl in the summer months (when I normally drive my car). I suffered with a velour center, vinyl outer edges seats in my T-34 going out and back to Colorado. The worst was back, as it was 100 in Colorado, and 115 in Kansas.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
grenadeAcorn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

Thanks Guys, we are looking forward to the trip, My wife being more nervous about the flight than the drive; Thanks for the tip on the Kool Kooshion
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

grenadeAcorn wrote:
Thanks Guys, we are looking forward to the trip, My wife being more nervous about the flight than the drive; Thanks for the tip on the Kool Kooshion

I don't blame her for being nervous about the flight. I get nervous about flying anyway.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

A water spray bottle comes in handy to squirt yourself to keep cool. Paper Maps I am suggesting cause not all electronic maps are true. Attempt to take the two lane highways as they are way more interesting. An example is on the freeway its like oops there goes another Dairy Queen verses driving through the small town you have many options to stop. Small museums are great across the country. Done several trips in the air cooled. Look ahead for stuff to visit like this in Hutchinson Kansas the underground salt mine. Nice stop for a couple of hours.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
A water spray bottle comes in handy to squirt yourself to keep cool. Paper Maps I am suggesting cause not all electronic maps are true. Done several trips in the air cooled. Look ahead for stuff to visit like this in Hutchinson Kansas the underground salt mine. Nice stop for a couple of hours.

Agreed as a paper map allows kids to follow along on the journey (while they're awake). I know I did that as a kid. Very Happy

I was going to suggest staying out of Kansas this time of year, as it'll be hotter than Hades, or at least Hell Michigan. Wink The eastern half of the state isn't bad, but the western side is another story. Going across Nebraska (while nothing but miles and miles) will probably be a little cooler. Going further north (SD or ND) might be the way to go. Some interesting things to see there like Mt.Rushmore, or Crazy Horse mountain (saw both of them when I was a kid), or the "Bad lands" of SD.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
grenadeAcorn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:

Found some, Thanks for the tip
grenadeAcorn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

5 more day until we begin the trip!

We already registered the car in Washington state, have the license plates in hand.

Box of spares arrived on location.

The seller is awesome and had the new tires I sent installed and his trusted mechanic give the square a once over, oil change, valve adjustment and belt replace.

old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

AAA and Visa. Everything else is gravy.

As for spare parts; sometimes it's not about being able to do the repair on the road but about being towed to a local shop with the appropriate spare part in hand that would allow to repair to happen without waiting days for parts to arrive.

Also, I'm digging the rims on that car. One day I will go through the effort of putting 5x130s on mine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grenadeAcorn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
AAA and Visa. Everything else is gravy.

As for spare parts; sometimes it's not about being able to do the repair on the road but about being towed to a local shop with the appropriate spare part in hand that would allow to repair to happen without waiting days for parts to arrive.

Also, I'm digging the rims on that car. One day I will go through the effort of putting 5x130s on mine.

HAHA, True story, also better to have them and not need them than to not have them and need them!

Thanks, they do just look right on the car; fortunately the PO has done some nice subtle modifications.
grenadeAcorn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

Well

Been a while, trip went south rather quickly.

first 700 miles or so went great, car drove great and it was a blast driving the backroads from VA to Indiana.

Second day in, developed an oil leak that looked like coming from the oil cooler area, shortly after front brakes started making that dreaded metal on metal sound.

Lost an entire day replacing the front brakes and replacing the oil cooler seals.

Got back on the road that night about 10:30 pm, car started running pretty rough: unsure if it was induced during the oil cooler fix yet, quite possible.

But noticed we were still having an oil leak anyway so didnt attempt to figures out the problem and decided to throw in the towel and arrange a transporter to pick it up and bring it the rest of the way.

Left it at the subaru dealer in Evansville ID and it was just picked up this past monday.

fast forward to today, found out that the transport driver drove the roof of our new pristine condition square into a bridge overpass caving the roof in above the windshield.

quite the F ing circus this turned out to be: HAHA

I do want give a huge thanks to David: cant remember your last name (of Evansville ID) a complete stranger and awesome fellow vw dude who just happened to be in the Oreilly Parking lot at the same moment we pulled in looking for brake pads and Oil cooler seals.

This guy stayed with us on a super hot day helping us get the front brake pads changed and get on our way; cant say enough how we appreciate you!

David also introduced us to Johnny Walker (not the drink) Who took 5 hours of his evening on a sunday and replaced the oil cooler seals on our square.

Johnny has his own VW repair business outside of Evansville and is one of the nicest down to earth folks we have ever met!!

Even with the crap we went through: Id have to say id still do it again, maybe a little less crazy next time.

Start of trip, morning after picking up the car; Stayed in a hotel the first night after quickly discovering the headlights didnt work and not wanting to be caught at dark (ended up being the fuses)

Travel the first day was great, 10 hrs cruising the back roads from VA to KY, Pic of the mobile navigation setup, Phone, and topo maps on the I pad paired with sat communication via a Garmin In reach.

1st stop on the road, Bardstown Ky, stayed in the old Jailers Inn B&B, watched the 4th of July fireworks, cool little town, nice people.

Morning after, day started out great, pic in front of the Inn Bardstown

Here is Johnny Walker doing his thing replacing our oil cooler seals.

Where we left the car after throwing in the towel, Evansville ID

[/img]
grenadeAcorn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

And the damage

Driver said he drove into an overpass after having to exit the freeway due to construction.

The car is still in transit and is due in by monday.

Im having him drop it off at a Classic Collision shop here locally.

He has had the nerve already to tell us he wants to handle it right away when he arrives and not involve his insurance. Seems to think the damage isnt that bad, Pretty sure this is going to be a roof replacement.

Unknown to him we have already opened a claim with ours and they are going to go after him.

Good thing we covered it fully before the trip.

DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

So sorry to see this. I've got a roof for you here in Cleveland, the price is right unless the insurance is paying for it (I think it is!!)
Sorry, I've never heard of a shipper screwing up so bad!

I've got a new windshield here as well.
But since you are back in Washington, just contact BooKooZ for local!

Last edited by DQDan on Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
grenadeAcorn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

DQDan wrote:
So sorry to see this. I've got a roof for you here in Cleveland, the price is right unless the insurance is paying for it (I think it is!!)
Sorry, I've never heard of a shipper screwing up so bad!

I've got a new windshield here as well.

Thanks Dan; we are pretty bummed!!!

So far ive located on 70 square locally with a good roof for 1k, I think the roof is the same, ive also got a line on three others im checking out today, they are all within 20 miles of me so thats a good thing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: