Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cross Country in a 66 Square
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

Nice.

Good to see you chasing out all the hidden little rusted spots these cars all seem to hide.

What are your plans for finishing out the interior?

If your original door panels, carpet, etc. are still in reasonable shape,
It would give you a far better end result to clean and preserve these pieces vs. using the new aftermarket junk parts that are available now.

I'd hope they even saved window scrapers, door seals, window seals, window trim, etc.
Originals in good shape are far more desirable than aftermarket,
And they're free! Very Happy

What’s That Noise?!?
grenadeAcorn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Nice.

Good to see you chasing out all the hidden little rusted spots these cars all seem to hide.

What are your plans for finishing out the interior?

If your original door panels, carpet, etc. are still in reasonable shape,
It would give you a far better end result to clean and preserve these pieces vs. using the new aftermarket junk parts that are available now.

I'd hope they even saved window scrapers, door seals, window seals, window trim, etc.
Originals in good shape are far more desirable than aftermarket,
And they're free! Very Happy

Door panels are good, seat covers will get replaced and im sure all the rubber. So yeah probably going to go through all the same struggles you are
1964 Ford Galaxie 500 FB (this one either)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

IIRC,
TMI did tool up to make those unique ‘66-only seat covers.
Roll-over top seams, textured centers, smooth outer.

Best be getting going if you want a set made.
You’re likely to talk to trolls bent on selling you their generic not-really-any-year mutant cheapies before you can get someone who knows.

Took me a couple of years to get the right seat covers for my ‘67,
But they eventually did it..

What’s That Noise?!?
grenadeAcorn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
IIRC,

You’re likely to talk to trolls bent on selling you their generic not-really-any-year mutant cheapies before you can get someone who knows.

That's good to know, another option may just be to repair; they are in pretty good shape with only the drivers side bolster needing a fix.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

grenadeAcorn wrote:
Clatter wrote:
IIRC,

That's good to know, another option may just be to repair; they are in pretty good shape with only the drivers side bolster needing a fix.

That's good to hear.
Sometimes those vinyl repair guys can work some real magic.
Repaired originals are going to be better than even the best stuff from TMI.

How are the carpets?
That's one of those things most regular VWs would be a no-brainer to replace,
However,
Like a lot of other things, it's a different game for the type 3.
Carpets are one of those things that can really look great with a good cleaning.

Fortunately,
TMI headliners aren't that bad.
You'll want to re-use or dye the pinch-welts around the door openings if you want to to be correct,
As they are two-tone to match the door panels and headliner.

What’s That Noise?!?
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

carpet = call Lenny
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grenadeAcorn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
grenadeAcorn wrote:
Clatter wrote:
IIRC,

That's good to hear.
Sometimes those vinyl repair guys can work some real magic.
Repaired originals are going to be better than even the best stuff from TMI.

How are the carpets?
That's one of those things most regular VWs would be a no-brainer to replace,
However,
Like a lot of other things, it's a different game for the type 3.
Carpets are one of those things that can really look great with a good cleaning.

Fortunately,
TMI headliners aren't that bad.
You'll want to re-use or dye the pinch-welts around the door openings if you want to to be correct,
As they are two-tone to match the door panels and headliner.

I don't think the carpet is worth saving to be honest is was unraveling in a few spots but I cant remember if i paid that much attention to it.
grenadeAcorn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
carpet = call Lenny

Thank you
grenadeAcorn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

Taking care of some of the things I can on this thing while Chris is working his magic; Tires removed from the wheels,

Now the question is, where is the best place I can send these things for polish and detailing?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

nynone4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

I've had good experiences with Alex Magro on Fuchs wheels. He has some ads here on the site. I'd recommend him.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

grenadeAcorn wrote:
Erik G wrote:
carpet = call Lenny

Thank you

Take it to your local Upholstery Shop & install square weave etc carpet as it will Fit & be edged just how you want it!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grenadeAcorn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

nynone4 wrote:
I've had good experiences with Alex Magro on Fuchs wheels. He has some ads here on the site. I'd recommend him.

Thank you!!!
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

grenadeAcorn wrote:
Taking care of some of the things I can on this thing while Chris is working his magic; Tires removed from the wheels,

Now the question is, where is the best place I can send these things for polish and detailing?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Two of those wheels are not like the others. Looks like you have one set of early deep 6's. You can tell by the pedals and the cutouts. If you look you can see how around the cutouts for the "windows" it slightly curves up vs being totally flat like the other two. In addition to that, the window that has the valve stem has a small raised portion right around the valve stem that is shaped like a heart. If you set them right next to each other you'll see the differences.

My 64 1500 S Notchback project here
My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
nynone4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

Any more progress pics on the car? Hope it's going well for ya!
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

How is this going?
Drewbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

This thread is a WILD ride! I got super excited when I first saw it. Ive taken my '72 FI square on 2 road trips now and love to hear about other people taking aircooled VWs across the contry. Then I saw what happened and was flooded with a range of emotions. But Im glad that all is working out and its going to be very nice whn all done and put together.

My short story: I bought my Squareback from the son of the original owner in Seattle back in Oct, 2020. flew up, took it around the block a few times, exchanged money for title and promply hit the road back to Phoenix. Then later in May 2021 I took a trip to Mount Rushmore. 2100+ miles round trip. One of the best road trip Ive done. and plan to do more in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

I, too, am curious as to how this is coming along. Sorry to see what occurred during your trip, but this looks like its going to be a gorgeous Squareback!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

Since he hasn't answered/been here in a year, I will post what I saw on facebook.
He pulled his square out of Reed's Shop before they got it painted.
He was upset that he had $20K insurance money & cash in the new roof/bodywork and it wasn't finished?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Since he hasn't answered/been here in a year, I will post what I saw on facebook.
He pulled his square out of Reed's Shop before they got it painted.
He was upset that he had $20K insurance money & cash in the new roof/bodywork and it wasn't finished?

$20k? For a few K More he could have my squareback
(Nope! Not and ad! Car not for sale)

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross Country in a 66 Square Reply with quote

@Mike Fisher, that is a shame. I do not know the story, but if that is accurate, it is unfortunately seemingly typical of far too many auto restoration and body shops.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: