Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Family owned 66 Ghia convertible intro
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Family owned 66 Ghia convertible intro Reply with quote

Howdy. Super excited about the Ghia, but I think the story is a bit cooler. My step dad bought a 66 Ghia convertible new from the dealer in New York State. He drove it fr about 10 years, then gave it to his sister and her husband who were moving to CA. My uncle has driven this from 1976 till about 3 years ago commuting in LA. I just sent to Ca to tow it home. It is a 66 convertible Ghia. I think the body is in rough shape, but mechanically pretty sound. I just replaced the battery (6v), replaced the fuel lines and fuel filter and she started right up. Took her for a cruise around the town. I was impressed with the little 1300.
I have owned a fair share of split window, bay windows, a bug and now have a Vanagon. I am very unsure of all of the controls on the dash. I tried the search and didn't find an owners manual or anything that pointed me in the right direction on what they are and how the controls are used. Can anyone point me in the direction?
The body is rough, but I think she'll clean up well. She is missing lots of trim on the body and the front bumper. I am at first focusing on safety- runs, drives, stops, then over time, I will be getting into body work.
I am trying to figure out the following:
I need to figure out how to put the top up- it seems stuck down
what the controls on the dash are

I am sure I will be asking lots of questions, I do not know many around here with Ghias, mostly busses. Here
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Family owned 66 Ghia convertible intro Reply with quote

I admit my favouring bias with the ‘66 model but that’s because I have one too.
The samba has copies of the owners book and this link takes you to the 66 book.....
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/8_65ghia.php

keep an eye out in the classified advertisements because they sometimes appear there for sale

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Family owned 66 Ghia convertible intro Reply with quote

Welcome. What a great history. A true survivor. Please post more pictures. Would be great to see interior and engine.
The 66 has many 1 year only features. The horizontal dash trim bar for example.

There should be a hook on both sides of the top that holds it down. The manual will have information.

There is a large section of Owners Manuals among other literature. Go to the "Technical" tab at the top right.
You'll find lots of helpful information there. Also, under the "Forum Index" go to the "Ghia" section and there's some
great threads with lots of helpful information.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Family owned 66 Ghia convertible intro Reply with quote

This is gonna be fun!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Family owned 66 Ghia convertible intro Reply with quote

Here's the hook that Marcdeb mentioned. This photo is looking at the passenger side hook; there's a matching one on the driver's side. The hook nose stops the top frame from pushing upwards due to body jolts over bumps, and the tendency of the top to slightly puff upwards due to the headliner padding. To release the hook, push downwards slightly on the top frame, then push the chrome nose outwards.

One of the first things you should do when you attempt to release the compressed top frame, is to apply 3-in-1 oil onto the various top frame hinge /pivot points. Work the top up slowly. Once you have it attached to the windshield header and the inner handle locked, push the car out into the sun for several hours to warm up the top material. Then spray a very light mist of water evenly over the top so that the water evaporates. This helps work out any wrinkles in the top from the long storage period.

Looking forward to updates and photos. Also any sliver of original papers or service receipts as to which dealer in NY it came from.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Family owned 66 Ghia convertible intro Reply with quote

Ah a Flagstaff man...I have lots of happy memories of stop-offs in Flagstaff over the years, apart from a couple of sleepless nights bunking down near the railroad tracks. Laughing

Got the popcorn ready, Popcorn settling down for an entertaining ride. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Family owned 66 Ghia convertible intro Reply with quote

Sputnik, thanks for the link. That answered most of my questions on the controls. Pretty great owners manual.

Rome & Markdeb- my roof is down and it seems it doesn't have those "latches" I am going to be looking into those today. This Ghia came to me in a middle of another project that I need to finish, but I am just thinking about the Ghia and want to get it safe and functional. Not enough hours in the day.

Here are a few more pictures. The 1st picture was of the controls I was wondering about. I looked in the owners manual and there is no mention of the circular "switch" (or something) lower than the headlight and wiper switch, but above the fresh air controls. What is it?

2nd picture is of the exterior of the drivers side roof, there is no latch anywhere and it seems to be broken or missing. I will investigate more.

3rd pic is of the dash. looks pretty original to me.

Last picture is of the passenger side interior roof parts. Also seems to be missing the latch or it is broken off.

This should be a blast of a project. I just gifted all of my air cooled parts because I have the vanagon syncro and I am totally content with it and didn't need more projects. All of a sudden this came along, and now I have to rebuild my parts stash again and I have a project again. Super stoked!

I do all of the work myself. Last summer I put a Bostig conversion in the Syncro. It's a Ford Focus engine, lots more reliable than the water boxer, a bit more power. This summer, I am doing all the body work on my passenger side of the van. I am a teacher and usually have summers to work on my projects.

Upon looking at the owners manual, there is a convertible boot, I do not think I have one. This brochure came with it and that got me wondering to what are the parts suppliers you all use. I know there are lots, but who has great quality products? In my splitters I have always used West Coast Metric and for my vanagon needs, I usually use Van Cafe.

Flagstaff is a pretty cool place and I think it's perfect for a convertible!
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Family owned 66 Ghia convertible intro Reply with quote

Here is a photo of the engine compartment. The hose connecting the carb to the oil bath is broken. My battery lock down is missing the "top".

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Family owned 66 Ghia convertible intro Reply with quote

Thank you for the extra pictures. Love the "Driver / Survivor" appearance. So cool. I can't tell what is on the dash below the Wiper control??

If your top has been down a long time, it may need a bit more effort than you think to get it to move. And then lubrication.
You should be able to lift gently on one side first and then the other and watch for movement or obstructions.
I don't know if the headliner could get pinched between moving parts making them tight and hard to move.

I have not tried JBugs for parts, but I've purchased from Airhead / KGPR as well as CIP1 and have been satisfied with both.
Cip1 is very reasonable on pricing and runs periodic sales.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Family owned 66 Ghia convertible intro Reply with quote

TopBud wrote:
...there is no latch anywhere and it seems to be broken or missing.

These latches are available from the aftermarket
https://airheadparts.com/vw-part/convertible-snap-catch-141-871-901/

Marcdeb wrote:
TopBud wrote:
...there is a convertible boot, I do not think I have one.
What are the parts suppliers you all use.
..I've purchased from Airhead / KGPR as well as CIP1 and have been satisfied with both. Cip1 is very reasonable on pricing and runs periodic sales.

I'll toss in a vote for these two, and add Sewfine for interior stuff. They'd be a good source for that convertible boot: https://sewfineproducts.com/
I'll also add CB Performance and Aircooled.net for quality parts and good service.
https://www.cbperformance.com/Default.asp
https://vwparts.aircooled.net/
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Family owned 66 Ghia convertible intro Reply with quote

That switch "remnant" on the left is the shaft of the 4-way flasher switch. You can pull the switch out. The round, red translucent plastic knob is missing.

It would be the same part as for a 1966 Beetle and Bus, shown below. The knob simply screws onto the shaft. The 1967 knob would have a black rubbery layer around the outside of the knob, so that the '66 knob is a 1-year only.

You can see the "stem" of that retaining hook in this photo, coming down directly above the square-shaped metal frame. The "J"-shaped head is broken off. The part that rcooled linked above would be correct; it simply bolts onto the top frame.
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Family owned 66 Ghia convertible intro Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the helpful information. I am stoked that you all provided links. That makes everything so much simpler. I appreciate it.

I pulled the carb and disassembled it, I am soaking it in parts cleaner for the night. If time allows, I will put it back together tomorrow with a rebuild kit. That should fix my idle issue.

I will post some pictures of how the roof sits now, I think there are some missing pieces. I am just not too sure. I may try to get it up in the morning.... I am always a bit hesitant to just force it. I would hate to "break it" or get it stuck in an up position, then I wouldn't be able to drive it..
Thanks. I plan on posting my progress on here and asking questions. Thanks for the recommendation of suppliers.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Family owned 66 Ghia convertible intro Reply with quote

You should look through my thread where i've placed lots of '66 specific details. These roof pictures you might appreciate.

Nicholas
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Family owned 66 Ghia convertible intro Reply with quote

Rome wrote:

It would be the same part as for a 1966 Beetle and Bus, shown below. The knob simply screws onto the shaft. The 1967 knob would have a black rubbery layer around the outside of the knob, so that the '66 knob is a 1-year only.

Actually the Ghia knob is slightly different than the bug and buss knobs. The 66 Ghia emergency knob has a different shape as seen here. It's more concave when viewed from the side, as opposed to the beetle knob which is a little bloated looking

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Family owned 66 Ghia convertible intro Reply with quote

TopBud wrote:

3rd pic is of the dash. looks pretty original to me.

That is amazing that all of the original one-year-only dash trim is still in place and none of it is broken. You also have the one-year-only radio bezel, as well as the rare 66-67 ashtray. All of that is original and nearly impossible to find. Be careful removing that trim! It is thin brittle plastic.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Family owned 66 Ghia convertible intro Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info so far. I have been busy with trying to get my van done so I haven't touched the Ghia. I plan on spending some time this weekend.
I am pretty psyched about the original trim being intact. I do not think I will remove the dash trim. I'll probably just work around it for now. In the am I will post some more pics as we dive into it!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: