Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Roach
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Roach Reply with quote

Quote:
I picked up a pair of 6 ton 2' tall jack stands.

everyone should own a set of these jack stands, the little 2 or 3 ton don't go high enough. My buddy has 4 of the 12 ton for his car, so much more space under the car, and the base is super stable. You just need a floor jack that can reach.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Roach Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I bought some 10 ton jack stands after wrestling with moving the body from a body cart to smaller jack stands/jacks to get the pan back on the car. I use hockey pucks from Amazon to use as buffers between the jack and the body.

They were expensive for jack stands but cheaper than a trip to the ER.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Roach Reply with quote

vwfye wrote:
I used a ratchet strap last night to put tensio on the set up. This morning, it had released! Woot!!! Next is to unbolt the pivot pins and then start fitting it all to the updates subframe.

The cart is HF 500lb unit. That makes it all so much easier. I should have bought one years ago!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: The Roach Reply with quote

vwfye wrote:
vwfye wrote:
I used a ratchet strap last night to put tensio on the set up. This morning, it had released! Woot!!! Next is to unbolt the pivot pins and then start fitting it all to the updates subframe.

The cart is HF 500lb unit. That makes it all so much easier. I should have bought one years ago!

Nice. Glad to hear you got it out.
I have a couple of those carts for moving stuff. In fact I've got a spare engine sitting on one at the moment.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: The Roach Reply with quote

Any hints on rwmoving the driver side pivot bolt? No real room to hit the allen wrench with the 3lb sledge. A long breaker bar just tries to flip the unit and a torch will melt needed things.

Thanks!
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Roach Reply with quote

Bought a HF 17mm 1/2" drive allen wrench. Figure if it breaks while doing the job, it was worth the sacrifice. 4ft breaker bar and the transmission strapped to the table finally got it to move! Now, the PB Blaster soak...
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Roach Reply with quote

Oh the joys of custom things...

I was hoping to get the new subframe mounted to the IRS transmission tonight, but...

vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Roach Reply with quote

My goal was to have my subframe together, before New Years... 14 minutes to spare! Nothing is torqued, tightened or cleaned up, but it is installed!
Good night!
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Roach Reply with quote

vwfye wrote:
My goal was to have my subframe together, before New Years... 14 minutes to spare! Nothing is torqued, tightened or cleaned up, but it is installed!
Good night!

That’s a win!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Roach Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:
vwfye wrote:
Good night!

That’s a win!

Agreed. Who knows, we might see this car sitting on all 4 tires and an engine getting stuffed soon. Now that would be a huge goal to see completed. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Roach Reply with quote

Never, ever, live in a house while it is a construction zone AND try and build a VW.

That is all...
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Roach Reply with quote

vwfye wrote:
Never, ever, live in a house while it is a construction zone AND try and build a VW.

That is all...

I learned that lesson last year...the car lost to the house every time. Something that should have taken a couple of weeks is now coming up on a year.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Roach Reply with quote

Yesterday, I spent hours trying to solve an issue with the rear shocks not fitting in the lower pockets. All kinds of complicared things... none cheap or off a shelf. Grrrr...
Then, after hours of looking for parts, I found the answer and it was so... simple. Doh! Raise the bolt hole at the pocket for the lower shock eye. Ah-ha!
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Roach Reply with quote

So, my shocks didnt fit the lower shock mounts... panic! After hours of complicated or expensive or both solutions... doh!!! Raise the bolt holes in the mounts. Doh! Doh! Doh! That with shorter springs should let my rear ride height as wanted.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Roach Reply with quote

vwfye wrote:
So, my shocks didnt fit the lower shock mounts... panic! After hours of complicated or expensive or both solutions... doh!!! Raise the bolt holes in the mounts. Doh! Doh! Doh! That with shorter springs should let my rear ride height as wanted.

Looks good. Cool
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Roach Reply with quote

Did you know that a t3 IRS transmission does NOT have mount holes in it to mount it to frame horns?
I do now! Doh!!! Razz
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Roach Reply with quote

vwfye wrote:
Did you know that a t3 IRS transmission does NOT have mount holes in it to mount it to frame horns?
I do now! Doh!!! Razz

Yup, the holes are either filled by aluminum "plugs" or aren't drilled at all.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: The Roach Reply with quote

Just one more issue I wasn't aware of. I will see if there are plugs or I will have to drill.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Roach Reply with quote

vwfye wrote:
Just one more issue I wasn't aware of. I will see if there are plugs or I will have to drill.

That's how you tell if it's a genuine type 3 IRS trans, complete with T-3 gearing. Wink
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Roach Reply with quote

The 4 mounts on my IRS transmission looks like they are filled with lead?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 16

Jump to: