Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1800cc Type 4 engine rebuild - 74 westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1800cc Type 4 engine rebuild - 74 westy Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
I prefer metric too. Unfortunately all my tools are in inches. I feel like I finally am getting a sense of these measurements. I might consider switching to metric micrometers if I ever splash for a good set. You can also google converters that will give you a closer conversion than the rounded ones in manuals.

I'm a big fan and employ the same process. Takes a lot of the guesswork out of things!
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1800cc Type 4 engine rebuild - 74 westy Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
take a photo of the rod halves on one rod, the bearing saddles specifically. I'll tell you where the scribe marks are. You have to know what to look for.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is the clearest one I could get. They all have similar markings. I just have a really tough time getting the image to be usable and the lighting correct. The markings are so light...as I said above, barely discernible. They are completely concentric and go around the entirety of the rod and cap.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1800cc Type 4 engine rebuild - 74 westy Reply with quote

For reference this is a similar photo of an NOS Type 4 rod.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1800cc Type 4 engine rebuild - 74 westy Reply with quote

well, during my time as a machinist I did I dunno, maybe 8,000 - 10,000 rods. I can see neither good quality crosshatch or scribe marks in either of those photos.

The device that measures the rods for size has a carbide point on it. The machinist spins the rods around that device by hand to check for size and runout. The hone that sizes the rod is done in a way that cross hatches the inside of the rod just like a cylinder. Usually there is a fine lite line, about 1/8" to 1/4" inside the rod big end where those carbide points rode. Sometimes unreliable shops will wash a rod, check the size and if they feel it is acceptable, sand the inside with sand paper to make it look like someone worked on it. Neither of your photos show the lines. Scott, yours has a yellowish coating on it which may be hiding yours. The other one I would measure carefully before using. Measure both sides. Some machinists will only measure one side and assume both are the same. That is not always true - a machinist that doesn't have the right rhythm may cause the rod to flare a bit like a horn so one side is larger than the other. Or if the rhythm is wrong, the rod may look like an hourglass when carefully measured, with the outside being wider than the inside or vice versa. That is hard to detect when measuring - one has to watch the stones for wear to be sure they are wearing evenly. Please measure those rod big ends.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1800cc Type 4 engine rebuild - 74 westy Reply with quote

The rod in my photo has cosmoline on the journal. I cleaned only the end where the cap attaches.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1800cc Type 4 engine rebuild - 74 westy Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
The rod in my photo has cosmoline on the journal. I cleaned only the end where the cap attaches.

It is possible these are scribe marks

orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1800cc Type 4 engine rebuild - 74 westy Reply with quote

Those are some damn fine scribe marks. I could just lick them.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1800cc Type 4 engine rebuild - 74 westy Reply with quote

I don't know what the factory process was in the late 60's to late 70's. Machine shops use a hone. The carbide tips leave a fine mark where they measure. The mark should go all the way around and measure both sides about 1/8" to 1/4" inside the edge. It is possible that the factory used a pass fail device to measure them - meaning a series of rods like wrist pins that they slid the big end over. If so it would be one too large won't fit, one goes in easy, and one is barely tight - sort of like we use feeler gauges. Wrist pins are fitted to the small end by feel.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1800cc Type 4 engine rebuild - 74 westy Reply with quote

I found a really good youtube of how a rod is properly resized. He uses two hands to measure the rod. I used one in a way that I could measure it all the way around. You have to measure across the part lines like 8:55 - 2:55 and 9:05 - 3:05 plus 12 to 6. If the rod is pinched it will be across one side of the part lines. Then you flip the rod over and do it again to be sure both sides are the same. This guy has a really good rhythm - he has been doing it awhile. You can seem him work the outsides of the stones a couple times every few passes to keep them from wearing uneven. Otherwise the center of the stones wears faster because you pass over them twice as often as the outside, and the stones would no longer be even.

Link

white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1800cc Type 4 engine rebuild - 74 westy Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
Those are some damn fine scribe marks. I could just lick them.

Shocked That's a good thing right? Laughing
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1800cc Type 4 engine rebuild - 74 westy Reply with quote

Steve, thank you! I really appreciate your input. It has forced me to pay greater attention to detail, even after I have felt like I'd taken anal to another level. Smile This is all really great information, and I hope not only to gain from it, but that others will be able to in the future as well. Once again, thanks!

Today I spent a little time chamfering the edges of the rod bearings:

After that was done, both the rods and the bearings were put back into the ultrasonic for one last cleaning, before final assembly. They are all squeaky clean and free of all debris, oil, or contaminants.

After Steve's posts today, I wanted to go back and take a little closer look at the rods. As you'll see from the picture below, there are indeed cross hatch markings from the hone. Consequently, this picture is of the #3 rod. The one in the pictures earlier in the thread are of #1. You'll also take note of the same "scribe" markings in approximately the same place/orientation as the other:

Once again, I apologize for the poor quality of the pictures earlier in the thread. For some reason, every time I would try to snap the picture, either the flash would wash the image out, by overexposing the subject, or it would go out of focus. Mad Rolling Eyes

Anyhow, I feel pretty confident after putting on glasses and really taking a closer look, that everything checks out. The "forty yard stare" just wasn't cutting it. Embarassed Laughing This getting old stuff sucks!!!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1800cc Type 4 engine rebuild - 74 westy Reply with quote

Damn, I missed this one.

Have you thought about ( sorry) opening the case and doing the mod to the oil drain plug case stud to prevent the saddle breaking problem?

Case open is the time, of course. Sorry about that.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1800cc Type 4 engine rebuild - 74 westy Reply with quote

I sometimes watch videos like that just to see how these things are done. Once I was thinking of buying a small lathe but imagined sooner or later it would end up with a trip to the ER. The farthest I’m going down this rabbit hole is maybe a nice set of micrometers, but it’s helpful to know when something is done right.

When I brought my damaged heads to clean up the sealing surfaces of the head, he used a rotary grinder. It’s good to know the service your asking for and the machining required.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1800cc Type 4 engine rebuild - 74 westy Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Damn, I missed this one.

Have you thought about ( sorry) opening the case and doing the mod to the oil drain plug case stud to prevent the saddle breaking problem?

Do you have a link for that?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1800cc Type 4 engine rebuild - 74 westy Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Damn, I missed this one.

Do you have a link for that?

I’ll dig it up. It might be raygreenwood in the type 4 forum, or in one of his microdots.

That will give you a good start, and then you can find someone technical to really discuss it.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1800cc Type 4 engine rebuild - 74 westy Reply with quote

or just own a torque wrench and use it.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1800cc Type 4 engine rebuild - 74 westy Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
or just own a torque wrench and use it.

There's that too. I do the same when changing the oil on my Subaru.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1800cc Type 4 engine rebuild - 74 westy Reply with quote

Smile
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1800cc Type 4 engine rebuild - 74 westy Reply with quote

In the end, after measuring as best you can,
The final test of rod fit will be how they feel.

Once assembled, torqued and lubed,
They should all fell the same,
And fall with a sort of slowed/dampened glide if you lift the small end and let go of it.

Any with bad measurements should stand out in the different way they feel moving on the journal.

If that makes any sense..

In the end, it's the same with the mains as well.
If you have it right, there's a certain nice feel that gives you a good feeling about it..

What’s That Noise?!?
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1800cc Type 4 engine rebuild - 74 westy Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
In the end, after measuring as best you can,
The final test of rod fit will be how they feel.

Once assembled, torqued and lubed,
They should all fell the same,
And fall with a sort of slowed/dampened glide if you lift the small end and let go of it.

Any with bad measurements should stand out in the different way they feel moving on the journal.

If that makes any sense..

In the end, it's the same with the mains as well.
If you have it right, there's a certain nice feel that gives you a good feeling about it..

The feel part of it...that can be tough for newbies. When something is obviously wrong, sure. My last build felt good like that even with a bent crank...But...I never tried the crank all by itself torqued in the case. I think that it’s a good idea to test the cam and crank by themselves in the case. With the short block all assembled, there is probably too much mass to feel the “rightness” of one part. The rod thing...all falling slowly the same schmoozy way under their own weight, I did get that one. It’s a beautiful thing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: