Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1959 Mango walkthru metal rehab.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Mango walkthru metal rehab. Reply with quote

Nice!

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Mango walkthru metal rehab. Reply with quote

andre b wrote:
nice clean work Popcorn I like what I see in the back grounds too.cool stuff

I follow you on Instagram and have been digging all of the 50's and 60's American cars you have been finding lately. Also all of the VWs you come across are incredible.
Much appreciated!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Mango walkthru metal rehab. Reply with quote

German Krew wrote:
Nice!

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Mango walkthru metal rehab. Reply with quote

More progress:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The inner dogleg did not want to fit. I ended up cutting it in half, and removing about 1/4" from it. Now it fits. The seat pan did not want to fit either, but after some hammer treatment, it now belongs to the bus!

A big issue (I thought) was the E brake/shifter housing. I thought that I destroyed it when I removed the floor. I expected it to resemble the 60-67 housing. I looked for a replacement but only found the later ones. This is what I was working with:

After doing some digging, and looking at the replacement floor, I realized that I had everything I needed:

So I made these:

I just need to prep them and they should be good:

Then on to the drivers side. The parts pile is shrinking.
karl h
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Mango walkthru metal rehab. Reply with quote

awesome work!
86 Caravelle
04 new beetle vert
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Mango walkthru metal rehab. Reply with quote

karl h wrote:
awesome work!

I just read your thread on the panel you're working on. Looks like you are doing justice to that bus.
Thanks karl h!
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Mango walkthru metal rehab. Reply with quote

I’m hoping that someone can confirm what I am thinking. I believe that the e brake lever in the early buses is cocked off to the passenger side. Is this correct? This looks seriously off to me, but is it?

Thanks in advance!
CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Mango walkthru metal rehab. Reply with quote

Yes cocked and new pin shafts are now equipped with zerks! Someone here on samba sells them
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Mango walkthru metal rehab. Reply with quote

CaLiBus wrote:
Yes cocked and new pin shafts are now equipped with zerks! Someone here on samba sells them

Much appreciated! I know I used some extreme measures to get the original pin out, but did not think I bent that bracket. I believe Jeremy rock jock has those pins. I got one for our 63 bus they are very nice.
Thanks Calibus!
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Mango walkthru metal rehab. Reply with quote

I started working on the drivers side dogleg. The B pillar was a little tweaked, and the dogleg did not meet it quite right.

A little banging and it fits:

Just to give you an idea, these were the tools I used to get that seam straight. I was wishing that I had a hammer with a vertical blade. I was thinking a hatchet would work perfect for the curved corner. It did. The hatchet is my favorite tool today:

I welded the dogleg to the A Pillar. Now I'm going to try and fit the inner dogleg. Hopefully it fits better than the passenger side one.
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Mango walkthru metal rehab. Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
More progress:
A big issue (I thought) was the E brake/shifter housing. I thought that I destroyed it when I removed the floor. I expected it to resemble the 60-67 housing. I looked for a replacement but only found the later ones. This is what I was working with:

After doing some digging, and looking at the replacement floor, I realized that I had everything I needed:

So I made these:

I just need to prep them and they should be good:

Then on to the drivers side. The parts pile is shrinking.

I know you like to make your own parts, but.......

https://www.alanhschofield.com/ourparts/prod_65331...051DB.html
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Mango walkthru metal rehab. Reply with quote

Navydave73 wrote:

This 59 is a little too early for that part. I wonder if the earlier version is available for someone without his fab skills?
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Mango walkthru metal rehab. Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
Navydave73 wrote:

This 59 is a little too early for that part. I wonder if the earlier version is available for someone without his fab skills?

I saw the schofield one any yes it’s the wrong year. I believe Thesamba member Jeff Gagnon makes these parts. They look nice. I just figured I would try to make a set. Hopefully they will line up.
Thanks!
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Mango walkthru metal rehab. Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
Okie Adam wrote:
Navydave73 wrote:

I saw the schofield one any yes it’s the wrong year. I believe Thesamba member Jeff Gagnon makes these parts. They look nice. I just figured I would try to make a set. Hopefully they will line up.
Thanks!

You’re both right, i have a 59 made in 58 and there was a lot of 59 things that wouldn’t fit. I’m working on a 60 single cab now, just swapped the roof and used panel bonding adhesive.

Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Mango walkthru metal rehab. Reply with quote

[quote="Navydave73"]
Burlyhammer wrote:
Okie Adam wrote:
Navydave73 wrote:

Thanks!

You’re both right, i have a 59 made in 58 and there was a lot of 59 things that wouldn’t fit. I’m working on a 60 single cab now, just swapped the roof and used panel bonding adhesive.

Cool truck! Is that a Classic Steel Bodies roof?
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Mango walkthru metal rehab. Reply with quote

[quote="Burlyhammer"]
Navydave73 wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:
Okie Adam wrote:
Navydave73 wrote:

Thanks!

I think BBT sold by Wolfsburg west. It looks like classic steel is using BBT metal also. It comes with a metallic silver weld thru primer. Excellent fit. It is the same source as the 23 window roof i put on my other project last year. There was an article in Hot VWs a couple months ago about how the Belgian company found a place in Thailand to make their metal. Pretty cool article and the metal is spot on so far.

I did an A pillar and front window frame for a friend recently, the a pillar was from Klassic Fab and it lined right up. The window frame from BBT/WW looked too small but when i put in place and forced it a little, it popped in and was a perfect fit.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Mango walkthru metal rehab. Reply with quote

[quote="Navydave73"]
Burlyhammer wrote:
Navydave73 wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:
Okie Adam wrote:
Navydave73 wrote:

Thanks!

I think BBT sold by Wolfsburg west. It looks like classic steel is using BBT metal also. It comes with a metallic silver weld thru primer. Excellent fit. It is the same source as the 23 window roof i put on my other project last year. There was an article in Hot VWs a couple months ago about how the Belgian company found a place in Thailand to make their metal. Pretty cool article and the metal is spot on so far.

I did an A pillar and front window frame for a friend recently, the a pillar was from Klassic Fab and it lined right up. The window frame from BBT/WW looked too small but when i put in place and forced it a little, it popped in and was a perfect fit.

I am going to replace part of the roof on this bus and the piece came from CSB. It has the silver weld through primer and looks identical to your roof. It makes sense that they all come from BBT. The piece I have is the rear section. I laid it on the roof a while ago to check the fit and it looks dead on. I appreciate the info.
Thanks Navydave73!
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Mango walkthru metal rehab. Reply with quote

The drivers side dogleg is done:

I was hoping that the seat pan would drop right in:

Nope.
Had to do some flexing, but got it in and I’m happy with it. The seat pivot bracket is in too. Ready for the floor!
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Mango walkthru metal rehab. Reply with quote

Making progress! The most difficult part is finishing one area before moving on. Front floor is now "done"

Very sad day. This weekend I broke my spoon while pounding on it:

The doors both fit nicely. Moving on:
1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Mango walkthru metal rehab. Reply with quote

Looks amazing, keep it up. I love watching this thread and seeing a mango stay on the road
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 18

Jump to: