Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Our "New" '72 Super Sunroof
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
super72leo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Our "New" '72 Super Sunroof Reply with quote

Hello!
My partner and I just bought a 1972 Super Beetle, and wanted to share.
"Leo" was well-loved in the 1990s: painted, engine/trans rebuilt, etc.
After being rebuilt by the seller's mom, she left the car to her son, and didn't leave the garage again for 15 years.

Everything works!
This is my first aircooled vw, while my partner has had 2 71/72 supers and a square.
For both of us, this is the most complete older car we've ever purchased.

Not sure how to upload videos yet, but the first start was pretty exciting!

Here are some pics after it was uncovered and going onto a flatbed to a friends house to "shakedown" before driving to Seattle.
Very excited to say, after replacing the 2 soft lines and fuel pump, and adjusting both passenger-side drums, Leo made it 100 miles home!
Keeping the speed limit on the interstate, and holding the corners on our backroads too.
Not bad for 15 years parked -- certainly exceeded our expectations.

In the last 10 minutes of the drive, the passenger side ball joint and tie rod started to give up, but made it home with no incident.
Replaced ball joint and tie rod, and then drove it to Olympia and back with absolutely no issues.
Little gassy, but otherwise no complaints.

Wish I'd had a Beetle sooner!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
super72leo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Our "New" '72 Super Sunroof - More Exterior (Walk Around) Reply with quote

Here are some better photos of the outside.
I've included some trouble areas to document where we are starting out.
Was originally Marina Blue, not sure what color it is now, but it is blue in the light, and almost purple in shade.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
super72leo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Our "New" '72 Super Sunroof - Interior Photos & Engine Reply with quote

68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Our "New" '72 Super Sunroof Reply with quote

Congrats on the new purchase ,nice looking super.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Our "New" '72 Super Sunroof Reply with quote

Looks like a nice Beetle. Do you & partner intend to perform your own maintenance work as well as minor repairs? In good tune the car can do 80 mph all day on the highway. The layout of the MacPherson strut front suspension and semi-trailing arm independant rear axle was basis for the suspension on the Porsche 924, so that should give you confidence for driving it briskly on curvy roads.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Our "New" '72 Super Sunroof Reply with quote

I like the color, and it looks like it’s in great shape. However, don’t go 80 mph in it. I’ve gone over that in a Karmann Ghia, but not in a Bug. They just don’t seem safe at that speed.

Have fun.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
super72leo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Our "New" '72 Super Sunroof Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Looks like a nice Beetle. Do you & partner intend to perform your own maintenance work as well as minor repairs? In good tune the car can do 80 mph all day on the highway. The layout of the MacPherson strut front suspension and semi-trailing arm independant rear axle was basis for the suspension on the Porsche 924, so that should give you confidence for driving it briskly on curvy roads.

We do! Luckily we both do our own maintenance on our van fleet (we're glaziers), and the Beetle has been a DREAM comparatively LOL. (If you haven't had the pleasure of doing even a tune-up on a small block van, its a fun time).

Today we're adjusting the valves (probably should have done that first, but it wasn't clattering), and cleaning the oil off the bottom of the case to get a better idea where its coming from. Common leak points for VW engines that have been sitting? Main seal? Front seal?
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Our "New" '72 Super Sunroof Reply with quote

Super72leo, I thought that it might be Enzian Blue. Yours is a beautiful color and sounds like you two found a great deal!

I have a '74 Super Beetle Sun Bug and am in process of gathering all components to rebuild the front end and suspension (bushings, front and rear sway bars, Bilstein shocks & struts, steering dampener, tie rods, etc.) and then see how it handles on these mountain roads.

I'm looking forward to updates on your Super Beetle.

Last edited by creative native on Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Our "New" '72 Super Sunroof Reply with quote

Congrats! Beautiful blue. I don't think it's enzian blue, though, too dark. My '72 Super was enzian blue.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
STEAK_BUG72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Our "New" '72 Super Sunroof Reply with quote

Nice super there. Like the sunroof. I have a 72 super also. Some similarities I noted. Mine was originally marina blue then painted dark blue. I’ve seen that many times here. Also have an Alpine head unit in my rig. Just got the piece to properly trim it out so still have to do that. Just redid the front end on the car. New centre link, ball joints, all new bushings, all tie rod ends, steering damper and idler arm bronze bushing. NO SHIMMY!!! Very Happy
Have fun with it and drive that beast!!!

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Our "New" '72 Super Sunroof Reply with quote

Enjoy driving that bug! How nice to buy a bug and be driving it around right away. Since it's been sitting reach around and feel inside the fan shroud for mice nesting material. One of my bugs was like that and also sucked in some tarboard, which gets out of shape over the years. After overheating it once, I found those issues so I dropped the motor, disassembled the tin to clean it all out, power washed the long block, torqued the heads and put it back together. With the clean motor I can see where it is seeping. Some from the oil cooler, some from the pushrod tubes, some from the main seal. All the usual suspects. Like you, valve cover gaskets were freshened up when tuning it. I'd replace the fuel lines and vacuum hoses, they get dry and cracked on the inside from sitting just like the soft brake lines and wheel cylinders.

It is unanimous, as I also like the color. It is nice to see that it was fully disassembled for paint, so likely it was cared for at the time. Smile
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
super72leo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Our "New" '72 Super Sunroof Reply with quote

Been about a year since we brought “Leo” home

Since then, we’ve:
-Rebuilt carb & all your favorite tube up goodies like valves, belt, etc
-rebuilt brakes and all new brake hoses
-new fuel hoses
-New bushings
-new tie rods & ball joints
-new steering dampener
-new sunroof seals, serviced drains & relubed
-window cranks
-shifter rod/linkage bushing
-repaired front carpet & new boot
-new fresh air fan switch
-repaired a slew of electrical oddities (25 amp fuses in every slot, lights randomly not working, etc)
-painted wheels
-probably more than is slipping my mind.
Still haven’t bought tires— (tires are 18 and it’s probably time), so that’s likely next.

Anyway, really loving bug life and wanted to come back and share some pics!.

And a video from this past winter:
https://youtu.be/fFoNoFz1AFs
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Our "New" '72 Super Sunroof Reply with quote

Your dark shade of blue with the amber turn signal lenses, especially illuminated, is such a classy combination, I think.

It is looking great and I'm glad you posted an update.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Our "New" '72 Super Sunroof Reply with quote

Fantastic!!!! Very Happy Drool

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Our "New" '72 Super Sunroof Reply with quote

The seemingly minor work of painting the wheels, and correctly in silver instead of any other color such as white, makes a big visual difference. Good going.
super72leo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Our "New" '72 Super Sunroof Reply with quote

Time for another update!
Can’t figure out the reply thing from mobile but wanted to say thank you for the kind words!
Re: the wheels, I’m definitely a fan of the “aluminum” Rustoleum professional, it worked great for our work van too.

Picked up another 1972 1302S Sunroof— this one Kasian Red and cosmetically and mechanically rougher than Leo but structurally as good if not better. The original repaint seems quality but the most recent respray is… not excellent.

And this time— no engine. Transaxle looks good, no slop, shifter has a clear reverse and 4 gates so I’m optimistic!

Taking the car home was more challenging with no motor— WD40 and a come along eventually got it onto the deck. The blue beetle rolled after backing off the brakes but THIS car has lived outside and was pretty well seized up. By the final PULL onto the trailer, we had 3 wheels moving but the front driver side was still putting up a fight.

After quick 1 hour tow home and we started troubleshooting the stuck wheels. We introduced penetrant to the brake adjusting screws and eventually were able to back all 4 off. The car came off the trailer EASY! (Note to self: next time 30 minutes with a jack & wd40 in the driveway before loading is A LOT easier than dragging a stubborn Beetle).

Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Our "New" '72 Super Sunroof Reply with quote

super72leo wrote:
Time for another update! ... Picked up another 1972 1302S Sunroof ...

^ ^ ^ Cool
Lemons 4 Gigi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Our "New" '72 Super Sunroof Reply with quote

Looks good!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Our "New" '72 Super Sunroof Reply with quote

Choosing a solid, unrusted Beetle for the next car will work out very well for you. Note that the red Super's wheels are more deep-dish than on your blue Super Leo. There was a transition midway thru the model year, with the red having the later wheels that are 4.5" wide and 34 mm offset. You can spot this visual difference easily by sighting along and across the outer edge of the rim and noting how deep the hubcap seating surface is in relation. There should also be "ET34" approx. 1/4" high stamped into one of the flat sections of the rim between any 2 of the lug bolt holes. ET stands for the German words for "press-in depth" Einpresstiefe. The wheels on Leo could be 4.5" or even 4.0" with a lesser offset (less "deep dish"), such as ET40.

A find like the red one would be just like what I'd look for "if" I were to consider another project. As it is I have 2 Beetle rolling shells that are solid and rust-repaired; I'm just too lazy to continue with them at the moment.

Glad to see two '72 that have correct, and matched taillamp height. My visual guideline is that the bottom of the taillamps are "hand-width" higher than the top of the bumper. Many times in photos or at VW meets I see '71 or '72 that have their taillamps lower than usual, indicating lower mounting holes in aftermarket fenders. "2-finger" higher than the bumper.

Red's outer mirrors look like Vitaloni Californias or clones, which were popular in the '70's and '80's. They don't look that effective because the mirror area should come up higher for a clear line of sight above the bottom of the window ledge. If you rotate the mirror and arm upwards at the mounting base, then it's a "tilted oval" which looks strange. Hopefully the original factory mirror hole is still in the driver's door so that you can easily fit a factory-style mirror. Or find a different style aftermarket mirror that has the mirror housing raised up on a post so that you don't have to look down as much to view the mirror glass. But such work is very low on your "to-do" list.

What are your plans for an engine on the red one? Stock 1600, or mild performance? Try to build one yourself using all-new parts or a used core, have one built, or buy a running, complete used one in good condition and install it yourselves?

Quote:
this one Kasian Red
Kasan, without an "i".

Have you bought new tires for Leo yet? Several years ago a colleague in the office restored a '70 Ghia, and bought Nexen 165/80 tires. He was happy with them. I just fitted Vredestein Sprint Classic 165/80 to the 4.5" wheels on the front of my '77 Beetle. About 50% more expensive than the Nexens but after the first drive I'm happy with their "performance" and looks.
super72leo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Our "New" '72 Super Sunroof Reply with quote

Rome wrote:

What are your plans for an engine on the red one? Stock 1600, or mild performance? Try to build one yourself using all-new parts or a used core, have one built, or buy a running, complete used one in good condition and install it yourselves?

Have you bought new tires for Leo yet? Several years ago a colleague in the office restored a '70 Ghia, and bought Nexen 165/80 tires. He was happy with them. I just fitted Vredestein Sprint Classic 165/80 to the 4.5" wheels on the front of my '77 Beetle. About 50% more expensive than the Nexens but after the first drive I'm happy with their "performance" and looks.

Not sure on engine yet -- will probably decide based on what shows up locally. Ultimately looking for another 1600dp but would be willing to practice a rebuild on something else.

Haven't ordered tires for Leo yet but I definitely like the Vredesteins. Originally was going to order Nexens from Amazon but Tire Rack has good pricing on Vredestein 165/80 if you're willing to wait a month.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: