Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Muffler with oil filter/pump
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
firerod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Muffler with oil filter/pump Reply with quote

I am building a 1776sp with single carburetor. I have a oil pump with the screw on filter. Does anyone know what stock style muffler will clear the filter?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler with oil filter/pump Reply with quote

I just built a 1776 and the filter/pump pushed the pulley tin into the pulley so I had to grind off a good amount of the pump cover for it to fit.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler with oil filter/pump Reply with quote

Someone can correct be if I'm wrong, but I think the main issue is if it has the extra pipe for the heat riser system?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler with oil filter/pump Reply with quote

johnnyvw164 wrote:
Someone can correct be if I'm wrong, but I think the main issue is if it has the extra pipe for the heat riser system?

This is correct.

I searched for a muffler with the heat riser tube connected to the right side. Then down into the right side exhaust outlet. They are made. But hard to find.
I managed to find a Leiristz. It wasn't cheap. Shocked
But it did fit the engine like a NOS part would. Cool

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler with oil filter/pump Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
johnnyvw164 wrote:

This is correct.

I searched for a muffler with the heat riser tube connected to the right side. Then down into the right side exhaust outlet. They are made. But hard to find.
I managed to find a Leiristz. It wasn't cheap. Shocked
But it did fit the engine like a NOS part would. Cool

Early stock mufflers ran the tube out left peashooter, the switch to right was 1971-72, based on Wolfsburg West part numbers 113251053AJ & 113251053AK.

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113251053AJ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler with oil filter/pump Reply with quote

fwiw, both of these Dansk mufflers from wolfsburgwest have the exact same part number (113251053AK), bought a few years apart.
The older one interfered with the filter pump, the newer one worked fine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I emailed wolfsburgwest and they confirmed:
"Thank you for the email.

The current muffler does have the preheat tube on the passenger side of the car, thus allowing you to be able to mount the oil filter as shown.

Old production were opposite as you are verifying yourself."
firerod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler with oil filter/pump Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies and part number. I will get the one with passenger pre-heat.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler with oil filter/pump Reply with quote

US (non california) bugs in 73/74 went to an EGR system with its filter and plumbing on the left side...so the heat riser pipe was moved to the right side...so these were the go- to muffler for filter/pump combos...of course the hole where the EGR tubing hooked up needed to be plugged or welded up...in the second pic windfish posted you can see the stub for the EGR pipe sticking out of the side of the #4 exhaust pipe just behind the box for the paper heater hose hookup....it would have been a 113 251 053 AQ, not an AK...but was probably sold as an AK "supercession" since theoretically it would still fit the earlier cars
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler with oil filter/pump Reply with quote

According to VW they changed to a right side preheat pipe for model year 1972...

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: