Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How can I fix this leak...?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I fix this leak...? Reply with quote

I believe the kits come with two paper gaskets because the same kit is used on Buses of the era but Buses use both paper gaskets because of the reduction gearboxes that Beetles don't have.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I fix this leak...? Reply with quote

… even with new seals, my newly re-done ass leaked - twice - so, I asked a friend for a real-good axle bearing and he gave me a nice NOS one and I re-built that whole sucker again - that was at least 5 years ago - that was it! Needed a new bearing - the race was worn... on the '60 SC
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cb1990s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I fix this leak...? Reply with quote

Thanks. Have looked at videos. Was wondering why the kits come with two paper gaskets when all the vids seem to show one used in install.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I fix this leak...? Reply with quote

In your photo behind the wheel showing the oil spray, the oil is coming from the weep hole at the bottom where the axle meets the backing plate. Clean all of the oil off, drive it for a few days then reinspect. Do look at the videos.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I fix this leak...? Reply with quote

Videos here
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk01x1FHG3J...amp;uact=5
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
cb1990s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I fix this leak...? Reply with quote

Kafer_Mike wrote:
Bad rear axle and/or hub seals. Do them them both -- http://www.vw-resource.com/rear_seal.html

Where exactly is the rear ‘axle’ seal? From what I’ve been reading it does indeed seem that there is in fact no paper gasket seal behind where the axle bolts onto the backing plate. All the seals and sealing components are in the front.
Kafer_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I fix this leak...? Reply with quote

Bad rear axle and/or hub seals. Do them them both -- http://www.vw-resource.com/rear_seal.html
cb1990s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: How can I fix this leak...? Reply with quote

What’s the cause of this leak? I’m 95% sure it’s transmission oil as it smells when I wiped some on my finger and smelt it (so not brake fluid). But why is it leaking out the back...? I have read that there isn’t a gasket on the rear of the plate, only inside the hub... this diagram

seems to show that too.

I have bought a new rear hub seal kit to replace that but do I need to take the whole hub off to address the leaking behind it...? And will I need to remove the brake cylinder fully for that? Thanks.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: