Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What would you do?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: What would you do? Reply with quote

Im at a cross roads here. I have to sell a bus. Ive been preaching for a long time that the white 74 was meant to be a flip and that the 77 is the keeper.

But........ Crying or Very sad

So I've been driving the 74 this past month. It's so easy to drive, its lighter, more nimble. Granted this is in residential traffic. The 77 is more powerful and has more room inside with a pop-top.

As you can tell Im kind of torn. For those that follow here a lot - both my bus builds on here are pretty lengthy. Ill post the links below for those not famliuar with all this.

In a nut shell, the 77 is a monster. Big motor, raised, big tires, full poptop Westfalia - so many goodies - to much to flat out list unless I write up the for sale sheet. Laughing

The 74 is a 50k bus. Almost zero rust, like new in lots of ways. OG motor and fresh rebuilt auto trans. New everything else, fresh clean and very easy to drive. An OG survivor.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416201&highlight=1974url

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=419653&highlight=1977url

I have had both these buses for the better part of 10 years. But I really need to let one go. I thought it was the white one, but now Im second-guessing it all.

What would you do if you had to choose one?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

Jason, are you ready to part ways with one of them?!

I can't help you. Both of these buses are straight bitchin' rides.

Think on it man, for a while. It's hard to find well-cared and maintained buses anymore.

Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
78BusGA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

Do you see yourself in the future doing more off road camping than city driving?

It's a toss up I can tell. I'd be torn too.

The practical side of me says keep the '74 for the light more agile feel, lighter weight and more practical hauler interior.

The adventurer would definitely keep the '77, though it's use would be more curtailed to more sporadic times and events.

If you have other practical daily drivers, keep the 77, otherwise I'd keep the '74, pull the smaller engine and keep it in storage, drop in a rebuilt 2.0 and enjoy the best of both worlds. And if the wheel and sire size are the same, I'd swap the silver rims onto the '74... but thats just me lookin at the two.

Just be damn picky you you sell one of them too, so you know it will be honored and maintained well for it's condition.

It sounds like you need/want to simplify and keeping the '74 simpler bus would also lower maintenance and repair.

Tom H.

My '74 Super 1303 thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=764902&start=60

My '78 Kombi Bus thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=769385&highlight=

'72 Superbeetle (retired), '78 Bus Kombi 2.0FI, '74 1303 Superbeetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

Personally I would keep the 77, but that's just my opinion. Both are good, solid Buses!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

Yeah its tough to call. I have Type 3 stuff going on - notchback. So its just not smart to have so many Vdubs at the moment. The $$ is always appreciated as well. I have to sell one for sure as space is a premium.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

Benjamin Franklin. He an old colonial white guy but his suggestion still stands.

Take a piece of paper and draw a line down the middle. No we aren't making a paper airplane. On one side write pro and the other side con. Start filling the sheet in. On one side write the pros of selling the 1977 vs the 1974 bus. Then on the other side write the cons. Eventually the piece of paper will tell you what to do.

I don't want to get really technical here but we have two sides to our brains. One side is more touchy feely and the other side more logical. The touchy feely side remembers things by smell, touch, colors, that is where grandma's pantry smell or that of a certain Christmas tree is hidden. The other side has the logic - Christmas 1980, 1981, 1982, where the tools are kept. There is nothing logical for example about sniffing an air vent of a VW bus but boy does it bring a plethora of feelings about the things going on in that engine. Maybe it is time to sit in each bus and let the smells and feelings tell you what your touchy feely side has to say in this. And if the two sides don't agree, then let them make a bargain with each other.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

I guess a little peek into the future is a good place to start, any plans on family expansion?, if yes the pop top will be mighty handy, if no then travel light and stick with the tintop.
Either one is capable, I prefer light and nimble these days myself, no need to haul the whole campsite along for just an afternoon picnic, if it's an extended stay there's still ways to cope with not being able to stand up, I know a guy on here that has a tent or ten. Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

If you are working on a notch then what would be the need for the tin top in terms of being lighter and more nimble?
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

I don't like pop-tops so I'd keep the '74.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I guess a little peek into the future is a good place to start, any plans on family expansion?, if yes the pop top will be mighty handy, if no then travel light and stick with the tintop.

I guess I'd say this also. Which one works better for what you want a bus for?

Personally I like tin tops and roof racks, but I wouldn't prefer an auto trans. But what I would do doesn't really matter. Pick whichever bus suits what you see yourself wanting from a bus. Both are awesome busses.

Good luck!

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
JaimeH Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

Put them both up for sale. Keep the one that doesn't sell. Let fate decide. You'll be happy either way.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
If you are working on a notch then what would be the need for the tin top in terms of being lighter and more nimble?

Keep the 77. The notch is the lightweight fun car. Then when you drive the camper. It would be fun in a different way. Plus you can stand up in it to use the Gatorade bottle. Ohhhh wait, that’s right you own all the yellow buckets Laughing

Don’t forget Busdaddy I called dibs last year on your 72 Campmobile when you get tired of it Wink

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

Keep the Notch of course

Take the stuff off the 1974 that makes it nice to drive and either swap it or sell the 1974 and buy the road tires and stuff that makes the 1977 fun to drive.

Does that make sense?
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

Hello,
It looks like the 74 has come a long ways since you got it( a lot of nickels, dimes and time)... Both are nice buses. I only went 4-5 pages on links...
But, if you think you can get 50k for it,(with poop pail thrown in).... I'd be saying hasta la vista auto trans 74....
Yet, it's not my bus too sale... It's like me driving my 71 full westy survivor around the last two weeks(wow, this is pretty cool) all the mechanical work has been done. But, I know I won't keep it for ever. Heck, sell yours for 50k and buy mine for 25k.
50k is a lot of money right now with all the stuff going on. That value may not hold for much longer, time will tell. A classic vehicle is an luxury item....just something to think about...
Good luck with "your" choice. Only you can make that call. You'll still have the other one; whichever, one it may be.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
I have to sell a bus

says who? Audi A4, Audi TT, Deluxe, Westy, Single Cab, Volvo XC70, sharTTruck, Blazah, and a Thing. that's 9 cars...registered and insured between 2 people...

do you need the money, or the space? space is easy...120 bux a month and you're in a storage unit. shuffle cars at will. if you need $$ the late pop top camper is king here. a straight up tintop no matter what...deluxe, kombi,etc isn't going to pull the dollars like a pop top.

it's not about need, it's about have. every time I have sold a car I was "invested" in....my heart sank. I always made way more than I had into said car...but I knew the cost to duplicate the car would be x10 down the road.

it killed me when I sold my jetta coupe

I sold it for $$ to get the business started. I turned that car into a tire machine, tire balancer, a/c machine and a down payment on insurance...I still miss it every day.

so, ask yourself...if you sell it...whichever "it" it is, do you think you'll want another one? if "it" scratched the itch and you're done...then sell it and move on. if you are going to miss "it" and build another one 'some day' keep it and figure out storage...boat and RV guys spend a fuck of a lot more than car guys do storing something.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

it killed me when I sold my jetta coupe

I bet that thing was a blast!!! Total sleeper. Wonder how many d-bags you dusted in that thing?!?! Laughing Laughing Laughing
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

Jason, I might have to recuse myself on this one. I'm only slightly biased. Wink

Pretty sure it was Busdaddy that said something along the lines of "stock never goes out of style."

I think you know which way I lean. Cool
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

If you plan on using one of these buses on camping excursions, then keep the 77'.

However, the automatic is also sweet with the low mileage and originality. I couldn't have a tin top camper bus as I'm 6' 4" and love the pop up on my Westphalia.

Tough call for sure..

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

white74westy wrote:

I bet that thing was a blast!!! Total sleeper. Wonder how many d-bags you dusted in that thing?!?! Laughing Laughing Laughing

not to derail, but it was a ABA "tall block" build with a ton of work..knife edge crank, lightened flywheel GTI big valve head, TT cam...the works. that fucker rev'ed like a chainsaw and would blister the tires in second gear if you were just creeping thru a parking lot and decked it...all motor, no nitrous

I started with a 50 wet shot and ended at 100 wet shot. I almost put the car into the guardrail after I got it all dialed in....I was hooking a on ramp at about 70 and gave it a sniff. both tires broke free and about sucked me into the guardrail.

anyway, it "looked" stock (you can see the nitrous solenoids on the passenger side by the fuel distributer) I won a lot of bets with that car...

it was a neat car. very stripped down...no a/c, no sunroof, p/s it was basically the absolute cheapest car you could buy.

lot's of "coupe only" parts like the drip rails...mine were perfect, but back when those cars were en vouge I could get 800 bux for a pair a drip rails. anyway....that ship has sailed.

that's why I ask the question...if you think you will "build another" some day...don't sell it. you already know what you have. starting over sucks

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

Keep them both.

Seriously - I would lean to keeping the 74. 77 Westy's aren't that hard to find and the 74 is so clean and original.

You know you will regret selling it.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: