Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What would you do?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

I have thought on sell them both, let fate decide on the one that sells first.

I don't camp hardly ever. I won't drive more than up to LA from San Diego. I think Im in this place because Ive been driving the 77 for 10 years, Ive only recently been driving the 74.

Here is the kicker on the 74. Its build date is the same birthdate as my soon to be wife. Exact.

If Im seemingly leaning to the 74, well you are right. Not for its zippy personality, because the n notch will run circles around it.

I don't know. Tough call. That 77 is just stacked. Really stacked at this point.

Back to thinking. Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
livingskies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

If you can afford to keep both and if you have space to keep both, keep both. Otherwise you may find yourself with regrets down the road. It doesn't sound as if your VW habit is out of control - three VWs isn't too many, IMO. I'm at that number too, and still would like to pick up a split window bus again and a later water cooled bus. (Please don't tell my wife.)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

is this about money?
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

i sold a toy to a guy at work, with the only caveat that if he ever needed to sell it, i would be 1st in line to buy it back for what i sold it for. I know that means little besides a gentelman agreement....
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

Sell the 74, keep the 77.
Reasons? Just what my gut says. The both are awesome, and if I'm being honest, on aesthetics, I think the 74 is better looking, yet for functionality the 77 has it in spades. I'm all about using them so the 77 wins.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
nebe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

I’d part with the ‘74. If you are building a notch, you will have another lightweight fun to drive vehicle. That ‘77 looks amazing.

Like Skills, I sold my bus to start a business and it was like selling a child. It took me 15 years to get another one on the road. I had to do it but looking back I never would have .. instead I would have figured out another option. Once you sell it, it’s GONE. THINK HARD.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

This is all good advice guys.

The regret game. I've already owned some amazing VW's. Enjoyed them and moved them on. I won't regret the sale. More like look forward to the next purchase.

Money. Yes and no. I don't need it, but as we all know it sure helps. I usually have little regret because I know most of my $ value will return. Taking out my labor, I'm always ahead. Freeing up a large chunk of cash would be nice.

Space. I sure don't have what I used too - but this again is a choice I've made. Growing up in Poway, we had a half-acre yard. When I started to get into Type 3's I had no less than 4 to 5 in the yard and as many as 40 to 50 pass through my hands between the ages of 17 to 25. I had lots of parts, plenty of projects and started to look like Sanford & Sons. My tastes have refined for sure. Even in my 20's, it was about quality over quantity. I now have a two-car space I built to simplify things.

I've been driving the 74 this week to the beach, daily. Today we are going to Mission Beach for a bike ride. Just using it for transportation, not hanging out in it. I've enjoyed the drive for sure. By week's end, Ill device, I hope. Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

I would be torn as well, especially with the builds you have accomplished on both. As I get older, hittin' 50 in a month and my body not being as "bendie" as it used to be the pope top sure would be nice. I want to get back into camping with the missus as well and being able to stand up inside would be awesome. That being said I have a white '74 hardtop Westy too, all OG and in very good shape and that is likely what I am stuck with.
'85 Vanagon Westy - George In the Stable 2020-?/'74 Weekender - Ophelia In the Stable 2007- ?/'69 Beetle Convertible - SOLD 2017-2020/'67 Beetle - September SOLD 2013-2016 Sad /'67 SO42 Westy - Sage SOLD 1996-2001 Sad Sad/'69 Transporter - Baby Blue SOLD 1995-1995/'72 Westy - Nelly - SOLD 1990-1995--STOP FRACKING
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

Maybe think more about how you would use the thing as you get *cough* older..

I was first all about the poptop because i was new.
Then all about the poptop because i was camping with two kids.
Now,
I'm totally over the poptop thing.
When it's just me and mom and the dog, i might even get a different bus.

Same with the stick trans.
It was all a part of the experience,
But now,
Stuck in traffic all day,
An auto would be so nice.

Plus, my tastes have been going more and more towards stock.
A tame stock motor is nice to have sitting in traffic.
How often do you end up out on the open road to let it really sing?

The 72-75 era campers are going to be super treasured in the end if original.
VERY few original examples will survive intact.
'76-'79 are rather common by comparison.

So,
I'm thinking it's pretty obvious how my vote goes... Wink

What’s That Noise?!?
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

I'm not going to be much help in deciding but I would sure like to buy either one of those buses. Actually I'd like to buy both because I think they compliment each other well. I would have a real hard time deciding between the two though.
I've been watching both the builds and have been real impressed with the detail and quality of workmanship. Someone's going to get a real nice bus whether it's white or orange. Very Happy
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

They’re both so sweet. Your a victim of too many good options.

I will add that the Westy blue plaid and white are my favorite color combo of all time. Love, love love that combo! But, I’ve owned a white bus before and it’s not friendly on the road dirt, oil and grease that buses seem to attract so easily as well as rust pits are visually magnified on it. It’s a whole new level of care to keep a white bus pristine, IMO.

You should be proud of what you’ve built, your great at this hobby. I hope you make someone’s day that can care and respect them the way you have and get to fixing another one as well as you do.
1960 211 Panel American Camper Conversion
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

Move to New Hampshire and buy some land in the mountains and start tripping over them. Oh, wait, thats someone else.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

Another angle, not for the risk adverse.

I’ve long termed loaned cars to friends so that they get used and I don’t have to store / pay fixed costs.

Think of it as a temp sale with a concrete buy back option, accept the statistics of accidents and wear and tear, mitigate by choice of friend.

God knows there are enough people who need wheels.

I’ve loaned my T4 to a friend with three wonderful girls , going through a nasty divorce, for trips to ADK. Makes me warm inside knowing the T4 is making some kids happy

Find that family friend who is coming of a lease , blew a transmission on their Kia, needs wheels and let your car service someone else for a few years.

Lend to Robbie so he can camp in comfort.

Drive it to NH and go visit Jeff in summers.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Another angle, not for the risk adverse.

I’ve long termed loaned cars to friends so that they get used and I don’t have to store / pay fixed costs.

Think of it as a temp sale with a concrete buy back option, accept the statistics of accidents and wear and tear, mitigate by choice of friend.

God knows there are enough people who need wheels.

I’ve loaned my T4 to a friend with three wonderful girls , going through a nasty divorce, for trips to ADK. Makes me warm inside knowing the T4 is making some kids happy

Find that family friend who is coming of a lease , blew a transmission on their Kia, needs wheels and let your car service someone else for a few years.

Lend to Robbie so he can camp in comfort.

Drive it to NH and go visit Jeff in summers.

Last time I loaned the 77 to someone, it came back with a broken slider handle and cabinet latch. There were kids involved. Mad

I'm going to keep the 77 and sell the 74 on as originally planned. The 77 and I have been through some stuff together. I made it a unique, albeit funky one-off of VW and aftermarket stuff. It may be worth more in parts? Laughing

I don't drive the buses enough to be a real pain, which is the real bummer for me. Its uncomfortable long term on the road. Not having to flail my feet around to shift gears is nice. Being a fickle dude from time to time, Im sure Ill flop around on selling the 77 eventually. Maybe get back into T34's for a bit. They have increased a stupid amount in value over the years.

To all, thanks for playing along with me. I appreciate the solid advice and praise for the work that's been done on these buses. Having a solid group of good guys like you, giving first-hand peer advice is indispensable.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

Good. Now go out and camp this summer before you dive into the Notchback project.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

Damn, that's a tough call. I would think it would come down to which will serve you better. Do you want to camp, or do you want something more of a utility vehicle that will haul stuff?

SGKent wrote:
Benjamin Franklin. He an old colonial white guy but his suggestion still stands.

Take a piece of paper and draw a line down the middle. No we aren't making a paper airplane. On one side write pro and the other side con. Start filling the sheet in. On one side write the pros of selling the 1977 vs the 1974 bus. Then on the other side write the cons. Eventually the piece of paper will tell you what to do.

I don't want to get really technical here but we have two sides to our brains. One side is more touchy feely and the other side more logical. <snip>

That BF method works for me (and I provide decision making support for a living), with this added bit: At the end of making the list of pros and cons, and the choice is still not obvious, flip a coin. If after the flip you immediately feel a bit disappointed, then you know to go opposite the flip.

And the stuff about the "two sides of the brain" is metaphorical only. My daughter (neuropsychology PhD candidate there in California) says that the "two sides of the brain" business is all bunk. Just FYI. That said, we still may feel two ways about something. There is the practical side that appreciates the machine, and the more wistful side that sometimes just make you sigh contentedly. Sniffing the air intakes on a Type 2 can make both of these work at the same time.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

Quote:
my daughter (neuropsychology PhD candidate there in California) says that the "two sides of the brain" business is all bunk.

it all depends on viewpoint. The evidence is overwhelming that we have two hemispheres that handle different tasks. The difference between individuals is not as clear cut as the text books. Someone looking for a definitive black and white definition between hemispheres won't find it and that is likely the position your daughter has. Marilyn Zdenek wrote an outstanding book, named "Right Brain Experience." In it she has one go thru a series of exercises over a period of a month or so to develop the right hemisphere. It is a remarkable book. The first time I read it some 35 years ago, I learned that I store events in my mind in two ways at least. One way is chronological - like a library index - the Dewey Decimal system. Say I need to access records in my memory on my stepmom's family. I access 1959, Alabama, items under trip to Pine Apple. That brings up certain memories. But there is a whole 'nuther set under smells, pine trees, exiting pantry. Same for my mom's family - 1954, train trip from Union Station DC to Kentucky with mom, events surrounding Grand Dad's farm. That brings up certain memories. But under musty dark root cellar, climb down ladder, uncertain because mom and her sisters whispering between them as quite scared, door opens and grand-dad looking down, pass Stephen up to me to see the tornado, mom saying "Stephen tell your grand dad to get down here," uncertain feeling but awe, "are you sure it is Ok Grand dad? Mom wants you in down there with them," there is a whole 'nuther set of memories that don't come up in the the Dewey Decimal logical set. I actually have memories of things about two or three weeks before I was born in that "feeling" system, and some from the first few months of life that are only kept in shades of light, ocean waves, and sounds, and voices and faces of my parents. Being able to harness the energy of both hemispheres is what we all need to strive for. So - yes we have two halves but the actual use of those halves is a lot more complex than people realize. Your daughter's position is contrarian. It would be just as easy for her to take the other side of this if the argument was the opposite. You remember your bus in logical things, and feelings both. If I say, VW smell, you think of the engine smell coming off the airvents - or maybe the heater. It is like climbing into an old military gasoline prop aircraft - the smell of the leather and hydraulic fluid brings memories that are unique.
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

I want that 74
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply with quote

What a decision to make.

You have got two superb buses, the white one especially and that looks absolutely amazing in finish and the detail.

Your decision has been made, only you know whether its right or not.

You still have the 77 which looks great in itself!

We have the 73 kombi and the 77 Westfalia ourselves, which I am doing my best to keep original. I know which one will be THE keeper for us. The westy by far as its got original interior, 90% of its service history, currently the original motor from new and I dont bang my head when I stand up in it Very Happy
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: