Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

End play .0026 Let it go?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject: End play .0026 Let it go? Reply with quote

So I didn't pre measure my end play before assembling block and now I get .0326 without shims (good movement without flywheel). All my shims are .010 and. Tried a few combinations to see if any were slightly thinner but always end up with .0026 with 3 shims.

This is a stock 1600 SP doghouse with new Silverline bearings. Going in a 64 bus that doesn't get high RPM but will see long trips.

My choices are:
Let it go at .0026
Go with 2 .36mm shims for .0044
Add a .010 steel gasket and put 2 .32mm and a .34mm for .004 (doesn't seem to be any .34mm in Canada at the moment)

Leaning towards letting it go at .0026 as it is so close but always though it was better to be loose than tight.

Opinions?
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: End play .0026 Let it go? Reply with quote

Machine the flywheel and set at .005

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: End play .0026 Let it go? Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:

No place I trust enough to do it correct around here. I would need to ship it to someone and shipping is a pain. If I was to cut anything it would be the bearing but hoping not to pull the block apart.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: End play .0026 Let it go? Reply with quote

In that case, use two shims
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: End play .0026 Let it go? Reply with quote

Do not let it go. With tight end play you risk ending up needing a line bore later. Ask me how i know. I went with .003 and this happend:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is what happens when things expand and there is no room, the shims get eaten up and the rear main grabs and turns then you need a line bore.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: End play .0026 Let it go? Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

No place I trust enough to do it correct around here. I would need to ship it to someone and shipping is a pain. If I was to cut anything it would be the bearing but hoping not to pull the block apart.

Then you know your answer. Run it.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: End play .0026 Let it go? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
In that case, use two shims

That's what I would probably want to do!

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: End play .0026 Let it go? Reply with quote

Another vote for 2 shims
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: End play .0026 Let it go? Reply with quote

I had the same issue. I looked through the businesses on here and started calling. I found someone that had .007 shims. I bought 3. Two were new with .007 inked on them and the third was an obviously spun used one. What you gonna do. I really only needed one of them anyway. The one that’s left over is being saved for another motor.
But definitely call around .007s are our there.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: End play .0026 Let it go? Reply with quote

Thanks! Two shims it is.

Ordered a few of each thickness to have on hand. I was a bit surprised all mine were the same.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: End play .0026 Let it go? Reply with quote

Use two shims and recheck!

If you run it at that clearance, I can tell you what will happens next.

I run mine 0.005" -exactly or thereabouts. a little loose is better than too tight.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: End play .0026 Let it go? Reply with quote

The thin shims get beat up faster also. Better to run at nominal clearance with correct number. Just means more work. If it goes bad, well look at the pic above.
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: End play .0026 Let it go? Reply with quote

Factory spec is 0.07-0.13 mm (0.0027-0.0051”) so you are right at the lower limit. I’ve run 0.002” without issues, so it depends on how comfortable you are with pushing the factory limits.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: End play .0026 Let it go? Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
So I didn't pre measure my end play before assembling block and now I get .0326 without shims (good movement without flywheel). All my shims are .010 and. Tried a few combinations to see if any were slightly thinner but always end up with .0026 with 3 shims.

This is a stock 1600 SP doghouse with new Silverline bearings. Going in a 64 bus that doesn't get high RPM but will see long trips.

My choices are:
Let it go at .0026
Go with 2 .36mm shims for .0044
Add a .010 steel gasket and put 2 .32mm and a .34mm for .004 (doesn't seem to be any .34mm in Canada at the moment)

Leaning towards letting it go at .0026 as it is so close but always though it was better to be loose than tight.

Opinions?

Try Concept 1, they carry most shims in stock: https://store.concept1.ca/Engine-Air-Cooled/?subcategory=Flywheel

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: End play .0026 Let it go? Reply with quote

neil68 wrote:

Try Concept 1, they carry most shims in stock: https://store.concept1.ca/Engine-Air-Cooled/?subcategory=Flywheel

That's who I ordered a few of each from. They are out of .34mm but two .36mm should work perfect.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: End play .0026 Let it go? Reply with quote

neil68 wrote:
Factory spec is 0.07-0.13 mm (0.0027-0.0051”) so you are right at the lower limit. I’ve run 0.002” without issues, so it depends on how comfortable you are with pushing the factory limits.

Yes.
I hardly ever build stock engines, but I never run anything with less than 0,09 mm. Most engines I set up for about 0,11 mm. (0,00433")
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: End play .0026 Let it go? Reply with quote

The engine I am building now had three .010" shims as well but I still have .008" end play and I will not accept anything looser than new spec on a fresh rebuild. Setting up a new engine to "worn out" spec is just foolish in my books because this is the first spec to go off in my experience from normal wear. I shoot for .003. In your case I would have taken a 1/2 thou off the thrust bearing with fine sand paper on a piece of glass and called it a job.

I too ordered a variety shim pack from Concept 1 but they tell me in stock, 1 week delivery and I only live 3 hours from them. It may be longer for you.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: End play .0026 Let it go? Reply with quote

too tight is a no go.

If your going to run any higher rams, loose is better--.008" is fine.

Here's a though for the HP guys..How many shims are there in a flanged crank set up Wink
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: End play .0026 Let it go? Reply with quote

eye wood get right shims....but what you have mite work Shocked remember mites are on chickens asses..and it mite not work.... it's yours do as you think you can afford.
SRP1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: End play .0026 Let it go? Reply with quote

Do whatever you need to do to get it to .005" the factory range should have been..004-.006". Get it to .005 and it will live a very long life.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: