Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

150Ah LiFePo4 flat under driver seat + swivelectomy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
loverofpeace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 150Ah LiFePo4 flat under driver seat + swivelectomy Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
A word of caution for other people, I read it somewhere else online, you GOTTA balance your cells individually ( exact same voltage) before starting to charge them as a group of cells.

3 out of 4 on my delivery were balanced and matching each other, I`m taking the 4th one that`s a bit higher down with a light bulb, it`s taking forever Laughing

With a H3 bulb it barely budged 0.035 Volts in a few hours Shocked
I need to be going from 3.335 V to 3.295V in my case.

You need to top balance them to effectively get the voltage to match. So like the other person mentions. Connect them in parallel and get them to 3.65V (3.6V would be safer and just as good given the charge curve of LiFePo4 batteries). After you do that you're done, you can connect them in series or whichever way. Note that it's normal for them to still be slightly "out of balance" after this again due to the charge curve they're prone to this towards the high end of spectrum but they should be close enough (definitely within 100mV of each other). They will correct themselves immediately after you discharge and charge them a bit.

The best way to do this is to fork out the $40 or so for a cheap constant current/constant voltage charger. You set the voltage to 3.6V and wait for the current to go down to 0a.

You could alternatively simply connect them in parallel and just let them sit but it'd take several days or weeks depending on the size of your battery bank.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 150Ah LiFePo4 flat under driver seat + swivelectomy Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here’s my batteries now.
13.48v / 4 = 3.37v
Not 3.65v (or 3.60)

Is this considered “balanced”?
I have done nothing specifically other than shut off the 60A DC-DC converter.
The Victron Solar controller seems to be charging them.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
yabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 150Ah LiFePo4 flat under driver seat + swivelectomy Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Here’s my batteries now.
13.48v / 4 = 3.37v
Not 3.65v (or 3.60)

Almost. To me there are close enough. Anyway, 3 digits after dot is probably too accurate for the BMS accuracy itself.
LFP cells (Lifepo4 cells) have a really flat charge curve. Especially if you charge it at fraction of C (in your case, 1C = 150A)
So, yes they will be more closely balance if you charge all the cells at 3.6V, but really there is not a lot of energy in those cell type between 3,5V and 3,6V.
I usually charge LFP cells in serie up to 3.5V per cell with an ending current of 0.1C (15A in your case).

On pic below you can see that you only let few % of capacity by charging at 3.5V instead of 3.6V and you can stay away from over charge and increase cycle life.

A good way to charge those cells and generally play with batteries is to buy a RC charger. There are 12V models and 120V models as well.
They cost are low and they are useful to charge/discharge/monitor different cell types like Lifepo4, Lipo, Lead acid, etc. because you can programme voltage and amps.

Last edited by yabert on Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
jordauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 150Ah LiFePo4 flat under driver seat + swivelectomy Reply with quote

That’s a good level of balance. You can go into configuration settings, then BMS settings, read configuration. Then you can set the battery capacity to your actual capacity. It shows 100AH now. Then set up your full charge threshold and you will get an accurate battery capacity reading. You can also set up the balance conditions and voltage to start balancing as well as the value of delta between the highest and lowest cell. The BMS should eventually balance your cells but the balance current is milliamps so it could take days or even weeks on a big battery pack like yours. The app has a high level of adjustability. I’m not sure about the android version as I’m running the IOS version and with it you have to pay for the pro version to make any changes. But it’s well worth the few dollars. If you’re using a Victron solar charge controller with Bluetooth as well then you can set it to the preconfigured lifepo4 option or create a custom profile. I set a custom profile and have my charge top out at 3.60 volts per cell. There really isn’t much point in going to 3.65 as the way discharge curve is. 3.65 is considered 100% charged. But 3.45 is about 95% charged. It drops like a rock from 3.65 to about 3.4 and then will stay in the 3.4-3.2 per cell range forever.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 150Ah LiFePo4 flat under driver seat + swivelectomy Reply with quote

I think I'm going to buy a 3.2v charger.
I'll balance my cells then pass it on.

If any of you fellers are gettin' after your swivel with an angle grinder, cut THIS too.
If you ever slide a seat off the rails, do this while the seat is off.

Kinda wondering why I shouldn't just cut the whole tab off.

EDIT- I've been under the driver's seat so many times now with this battery project.....kittens be damned, I just cut the driver-side tab off completely.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox

Last edited by Sodo on Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 150Ah LiFePo4 flat under driver seat + swivelectomy Reply with quote

sodo - have you watched Will's top balancing video? the charger he recommends takes forever, but I find that to be a small sacrifice given I only have to do this once in a battery life cycle
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 150Ah LiFePo4 flat under driver seat + swivelectomy Reply with quote

Thanks for that prod to watch Will Prouse.
I think I will buy this power supply $70.
I've always wanted one.

(.....unless you advise otherwise.....)
Takes forever?

....@ 5 amps?

My new buddy Will says is they are fairly full it only takes a few hours or a day.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71TijOn6pSL._SL1500_.jpg

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 150Ah LiFePo4 flat under driver seat + swivelectomy Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

If any of you fellers are gettin' after your swivel with an angle grinder, cut THIS too.
If you ever slide a seat off the rails, do this while the seat is off.

Kinda wondering why I shouldn't just cut the whole tab off.

EDIT- I've been under the driver's seat so many times now with this battery project.....kittens be damned, I just cut the driver-side tab off completely.

I agree that holding the catch while sliding the seat forward can be slightly annoying.

I'm lazier than you so I just walked out to my van, released the spring from the top of the catch, swiveled the catch up and out of the way for easier seat removal. 30 seconds max. and no kittens harmed. Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 150Ah LiFePo4 flat under driver seat + swivelectomy Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

I have done nothing specifically other than shut off the 60A DC-DC converter.
The Victron Solar controller seems to be charging them.

Yeah, that's plenty close enough. The BMS will take care of it from there. It's really easy to get obsessive about tiny voltage differences, but that's what the BMS is for.

As for the initial balance, the easiest was by far is to parallel them. I did this with 24 90AH cells for an electric motorcycle back in 2007, it took roughly overnight.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 150Ah LiFePo4 flat under driver seat + swivelectomy Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
I'm lazier than you so I just walked out to my van, released the spring from the top of the catch, swiveled the catch up and out of the way for easier seat removal. 30 seconds max. and no kittens harmed. Very Happy

...harumph Exclamation
Laziness is bad form and kittens are impressionable, it harms them in subtle ways, rendering them less able to compete in the world..

Also lots of folks saying self-balance works, but some forum feller says it doesn't. Wink
Well I ordered a benchtop power supply anyway (but I've always wanted one).

Here's what the BMS says today, once cell is .48v higher.
There have lots of times where ALL cells were within 1/100 volt, but it goes off-balance.

Solar panel has been in full sun for several days in a row and its off-balance every day.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 150Ah LiFePo4 flat under driver seat + swivelectomy Reply with quote

The idea only came to me when I looked at your photo and saw the end of the spring reaching over the catch. The hard work of others makes laziness possible. Kittens realize this and expect hardworking humans to feed them.

Sodo wrote:
jimf909 wrote:

...harumph Exclamation
Laziness is bad form and kittens are impressionable, it harms them in subtle ways, rendering them less able to compete in the world..

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jordauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: 150Ah LiFePo4 flat under driver seat + swivelectomy Reply with quote

Sodo, your BMS should be programmed through the app so no cell goes over an absolute maximum of 3.65 volts. You can change the thresholds in settings. Anything over 3.65 can supposedly damage lifepo4 cells. You can also adjust your cell balance parameters for how much delta between the lowest and highest cells, the voltage to start balancing at, and if you want to balance only while charging or all the time when the cells are out of balance. I set mine to all the time until the cells were very close and then set it back to balance only when charging. The balance function is only 50 milliamps if I'm remembering correctly.
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: 150Ah LiFePo4 flat under driver seat + swivelectomy Reply with quote

Yeah, I too am not understanding how one of the cells went through the safety threshold...
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: 150Ah LiFePo4 flat under driver seat + swivelectomy Reply with quote

Jordauto, baltic, thank you for your attention!
We are leaving on a trip to the Oregon desert for a few days and I'd like to get this sorted if possible.
My $63 power supply (30v10A)should be here today sometime, I may have 12 hours or so to 'balance cells' before departing.
Should I connect them in series NOW?

Here's the settings, 3.65v.

baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: 150Ah LiFePo4 flat under driver seat + swivelectomy Reply with quote

i would keep them in parallel as long as possible to equalize, then follow will's instructions to top balance (also in parallel). I would also verify the power supply voltage with a voltmeter as well to make sure it's properly calibrated from the factory.

maybe change the delay setting from 2 seconds to 1 in the BMS? it's possible it spiked really quickly
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: 150Ah LiFePo4 flat under driver seat + swivelectomy Reply with quote

Here are the default thresholds that Dacien uses on the elctrodacus...

they are more conservative than what comes pre-loaded on the chinese BMS and what I use in my setup. Having said that I would not advise anyone to m,ake changes blindly without fully understanding the parameters. A small typo or misunderstanding can end up a really expensive mistake

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 150Ah LiFePo4 flat under driver seat + swivelectomy Reply with quote

I'd like to see you post your problem on the overkill solar subreddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OverkillSolarBMS/
jordauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: 150Ah LiFePo4 flat under driver seat + swivelectomy Reply with quote

Here is the settings I'm using for the smart BMS and Victron MPPT75/15 solar charge controller. This is 2 100 watt thin solar panels in series charging a Valence 138AH group 27 lifepo4 battery that has been modified by replacing the original BMS slave board with the smart BMS. We aren't supposed to need an absorption charge but I found the battery wouldn't get fully charged on the Victron bulk charge setting. So I have absorption set to 14.46 volts which get each cell to 3.60 volts or just below.

ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 150Ah LiFePo4 flat under driver seat + swivelectomy Reply with quote

Are these setups not very "set it and forget it" types? Do they require a fair amount of babysitting?
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 150Ah LiFePo4 flat under driver seat + swivelectomy Reply with quote

ProspectiveOwnergon wrote:
Are these setups not very "set it and forget it" types? Do they require a fair amount of babysitting?

I'd say once you monitor it and it proves to be stable it is set and forget.

However, you would want to check in every now and then just to ensure health of your battery/investment.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: