Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Inner scraper replacement
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Inner scraper replacement Reply with quote

I got intimately familiar with the door last week. My regulator broke and I had to figure out how it comes out. Hopefully the new one will be here this week so I can have a functioning window again. Your pictures look very familiar now.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Inner scraper replacement Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
I commented about my window scraper replacement in another thread but I'll do it again here: my 69 uses a 7 clip design but two of the center clips are closer together than the rest. I have never seen this design duplicated on any aftermarket scraper, plus all the vendors say the 7-clip design is for 65 thru mid-68 and that I am supposed to use the mid-68 and up "4 clip" scraper but I've tried installing one of those and it bent all to hell because of its flimsiness where those extra clips are missing. Was 69 some sort of one-off year for scrapers?? Confused

I wish I could help but I have no idea. Good luck.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Inner scraper replacement Reply with quote

I commented about my window scraper replacement in another thread but I'll do it again here: my 69 uses a 7 clip design but two of the center clips are closer together than the rest. I have never seen this design duplicated on any aftermarket scraper, plus all the vendors say the 7-clip design is for 65 thru mid-68 and that I am supposed to use the mid-68 and up "4 clip" scraper but I've tried installing one of those and it bent all to hell because of its flimsiness where those extra clips are missing. Was 69 some sort of one-off year for scrapers?? Confused

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Inner scraper replacement Reply with quote

VW1300 wrote:
Thanks, I need to do this on the driver's side

Just a heads up the new seals stick to the glass. Rubber some baby powder or body powder on the seals to eliminate this issue.
VW1300
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Inner scraper replacement Reply with quote

Thanks, I need to do this on the driver's side
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Inner scraper replacement Reply with quote

vwoldbug wrote:
Thank You

You are welcome.
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Inner scraper replacement Reply with quote

Thank You
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Inner scraper replacement Reply with quote

I just replaced the inner scrapers on our 65'. It was a pain. But the inner scrapers had worn out to the point that they were scratching my arm when I would cruise with it on the door sill. I did not replace anything else. They are in good enough shape for a daily driver.

A few notes, the WCM scraper for the drivers side worked great. Passenger side was a different story. It would not work no matter what I tried. I ordered a CIP1 version for the passenger side and it worked great. I know hard to believe the CIP1 was better ,but that was the case for me.

Here are some pics:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

While the regulator was out I cleaned the track out with brake clean and then regreased it. Sorry no pics. My hands were dirty.

I hope this helps someone out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: