Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery Question - 74 Westy - Jump Question
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dr8track
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject: Battery Question - 74 Westy - Jump Question Reply with quote

I need to jump start my bus and I have a question about my battery. The way its wired has me a little paranoid about which side is positive and which is negative. I can't pull it out far enough to be able to see if there's a - and + indication on the battery. What has me confused is that there's a red cable running to the back terminal which I would normally assume is positive.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The confusing part is there's a red connector attached to the black cable. Which has me wondering why a red connector was placed on that black cable?

I may just have to pull it out to confirm which side is negative and which is positive, but regardless,, if that black cable does go to the negative side it still makes me wonder why they placed a red connector on it.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Question - 74 Westy - Jump Question Reply with quote

I see a + on the battery below that red connector, the one opposite the red cable, if the bus runs and charges like that it's somewhat safe to assume that's positive.
Time for some black tape on that negative cable, before someone who's trying to help mixes them up and cooks you alternator. And that red bolt on terminal on the + side is going to cause you issues, invest in a real cable with a swaged on end before it strands you.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Question - 74 Westy - Jump Question Reply with quote

^^^^ what Mark said. The + is clearly visible. Also another way of telling is the negative bolts to the frame behind the battery.

NEVER assume the colors are correct. Always look for the + and -. Then triple check yourself before you attach cables. Always. I've come close a couple times in my life to accidentally reversing them, and that triple check saved me. Also learn to attach the negative to the frame and not the battery. You attach it last and unattach it first to avoid blowing yourself up with a battery explosion.

Get a pocket flashlight, a real one - I keep several small maglites around. Also get a pocket mirror if you need to look at something from an angle.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Question - 74 Westy - Jump Question Reply with quote

And once you figure out which post is Positive, spritz a bit of red spray paint on that side of the battery.
It will make it much easier to identify in the future.
(Can't remember who recommended that to me, but 'thank you' to whoever it was!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Question - 74 Westy - Jump Question Reply with quote

what SG said. confirm that the neg is bolted to the body of the Bus. Just reach in and feel along the cable.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Question - 74 Westy - Jump Question Reply with quote

dr8track wrote:

I may just have to pull it out to confirm which side is negative and which is positive, but regardless,, if that black cable does go to the negative side it still makes me wonder why they placed a red connector on it.

Do yourself a favor and pull it anyway. Disassemble those battery clamps and clean up the corrosion on the cables, reassemble, coat with dielectric grease (after assembly) to help stave off corrosion in the future. That positive cable looks a little crusty. Trace back the negative cable to the body, unbolt, clean up the mating surfaces so you get a good, solid connection.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Question - 74 Westy - Jump Question Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:
dr8track wrote:

Do yourself a favor and pull it anyway. Disassemble those battery clamps and clean up the corrosion on the cables, reassemble, coat with dielectric grease (after assembly) to help stave off corrosion in the future. That positive cable looks a little crusty. Trace back the negative cable to the body, unbolt, clean up the mating surfaces so you get a good, solid connection.

I would not even bother cleaning those connections and just remove and replace both cables.

I bought a set here for my 59 and cost was about $35.
https://www.batterycablesusa.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dr8track
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Question - 74 Westy - Jump Question Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info gentlemen. Very helpful as always. And now I have a new project on my list. Laughing
dr8track
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Question - 74 Westy - Jump Question Reply with quote

Check out the monstrosity I pulled off the NEGATIVE side of my battery. It must be about 3 feet long.

I'm taking the advice of several of you and getting all new cables and also repairing the battery pan. Its so rusted through that it's surprising it didn't fall through the large hole onto the highway.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Question - 74 Westy - Jump Question Reply with quote

For the record, the battery cables from the factory were black for the positive and the woven wire "strap" for the neg side.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dr8track
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Question - 74 Westy - Jump Question Reply with quote

Well I guess that could explain the black positive cable. I saw some of those woven wire versions online. They were quite spendy. Anything better about those vs the traditional version?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Question - 74 Westy - Jump Question Reply with quote

https://www.busdepot.com/113971235c It should bolt to the area right in front (front side of bus) the battery on the wheel well.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Question - 74 Westy - Jump Question Reply with quote

Also there is the chassis ground over on the drivers side at the front of the transaxle. Also a woven wire strap. Take your 13mm wrench down there and take it off. Clean it up on the bench wire wheel and reinstall it. Everyone uses Fluid Film on them now (and the + battery cable at the starter connection) to keep them nice and non-oxidized. It really works well.
dr8track
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Question - 74 Westy - Jump Question Reply with quote

Thanks for the chassis ground and Fluid Film tip. I'll do some searching and find that strap. Found some new battery cables and will be installing those as soon as I finish the battery tray.
I found something interesting when I pulled out the battery. I'm wondering what was originally plugged into this?

Could this have been for the old mechanical fuel pump before it was replaced with the electronic one?
blacka1vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Question - 74 Westy - Jump Question Reply with quote

Blower fan I believe. Also if the blue wire has black stripe I think that’s your oil pressure sender wire.
dr8track
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Question - 74 Westy - Jump Question Reply with quote

Well here's the latest in my ongoing battery saga. Since I decided to replace the battery cables I took the battery out and took it to Les Schwab for testing. They determined the battery was bad and gave me a free replacement. It was still under warranty. I installed the new cables in the same manner as the old ones. I set my battery in place on the new battery tray, attached the positive cable making sure it was nice and tight.
I then began hooking up the new negative battery cable. I could hear a clicking somewhere as I get the cable in position. I tightened it down snugly. Turned on a dome light to see if power was back. Nothing. Went to the cab and noticed the battery light was on. Key in ignition but not turned on.
Disconnected the negative battery.
I didn't try starting it because I feared i might damage something.
Now I'm wondering what the issue is. VR? Alternator?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Question - 74 Westy - Jump Question Reply with quote

were you sure + went to the starter and - to the chassis?
dr8track
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Question - 74 Westy - Jump Question Reply with quote

Ok, new development. I hooked the negative back to the battery. Tried the accessories (head lights, dome light) and they DO work. I didn't have the dash knob engaged previously which supplies power to the light in the sleeping area.
Batterey light still lit with no key in ignition. Put the key in and turned over the engine, but did not start it. Now the battery light is off.
I went ahead and started it up and all seems well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: