Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Play in generator shaft
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Play in generator shaft Reply with quote

Hello folks, I seem to have some back and forth play in my generator shaft. It's a rebuilt unit (I paid dearly for) and seems to be of good quality and works other than this play I'm getting. It's not the pulley or loose generator strap and pretty sure it's not a loose fan either. But seems to be slowly getting worse, I have about 7k miles on it so far.
Anyone experienced this before and if so, were you able to fix it? I'm leaning toward getting another generator altogether but wanted to check with the experts first. Thanks for any help or suggestions. Very Happy
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Play in generator shaft Reply with quote

"Rebuilt" generators are a crap shoot. If they fail a bearing, they will wear the end plate bearing housing oblong, which should make the housing a throw-away. There's also supposed to be a bearing sized springy washer before the bearing on one end to control end play. "Rebuilts" seem to be have a history of bad housings and missing washers. Only way to tell is to disassemble it and have a look. You'll need a three-armed bearing puller to do it right. The housing wear is usually obvious on inspection.

The old axiom, "you get what you pay for" is no longer true (not that it ever was). The correct saying is "you don't get what you don't pay for". The difference is significant...
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Play in generator shaft Reply with quote

which direction is the play? in and out or up and down?
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Play in generator shaft Reply with quote

The play is in and out, like end play.
Thanks for the replys. I sure tried to get the best rebuilt one I could find but you never really know until you try it, for a while.
The in and out play is what is odd to me and not sure where the issue would be.
I'm about ready to hit the "buy" button on another one but it's a rebuilt (by Bosch) too and I know the newer rebuilt by Bosch ones are not the best.

Anyone have a good lead on a good nos or rebuilt one? Very Happy
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Play in generator shaft Reply with quote

I think that there are settings in Bentley for in and out movement. They are set with shims. If the movement is too excessive even with shim adjustment then I believe that the issue is a spacer has worn too far into the end plate or something like that. Colin was here a couple years ago and we went thru this. I seem to recall we had to do some work on the generator to reduce end play.

At this point your best bet is to keep your eyes open for good complete 38 amp cores. preferably with pulleys etc.
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Play in generator shaft Reply with quote

Thanks SGKent and I agree I should probably get another one. I'll still take it apart and try and figure out what happened.
The good generators are getting hard to find.
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Play in generator shaft Reply with quote

71whitewesty wrote:
Thanks SGKent and I agree I should probably get another one. I'll still take it apart and try and figure out what happened.
The good generators are getting hard to find.

lots for sale lately. There is a core in classifieds for $22. Probably with postage under $50. I'd start with that one. PM the seller and ask him how much play is in the shaft. If it works electrically great. If not you still get the other parts and one you can practice on. Make sure anything you buy is 38 amp. Parts are different.
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Play in generator shaft Reply with quote

I just wanted to follow up on this. I have replaced the generator with a good used one bought off The Samba and it's working great now.
The one I took off I bought as a rebuilt and it looked fantastic when it arrived. I forgot what I paid but might have been $300 off an eBay site, I wanted the best one I could find so I went with went with one of the most expensive ones I could find...lol!! Anyway, the back bearing was just shot. Both vertical and horizontal play. The generator still works but for sure needs at least new bearings. I'll probably put it on the shelf with the other worn out parts I've been collecting. Laughing
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Play in generator shaft Reply with quote

71whitewesty wrote:
I just wanted to follow up on this. I have replaced the generator with a good used one bought off The Samba and it's working great now.
The one I took off I bought as a rebuilt and it looked fantastic when it arrived. I forgot what I paid but might have been $300 off an eBay site, I wanted the best one I could find so I went with went with one of the most expensive ones I could find...lol!! Anyway, the back bearing was just shot. Both vertical and horizontal play. The generator still works but for sure needs at least new bearings. I'll probably put it on the shelf with the other worn out parts I've been collecting. Laughing

Lots of rebuilt stuff where looks are deceiving. It all depends on who does the work and how careful they are.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Play in generator shaft Reply with quote

Good idea taking it out of service. Bearing wear doesn't just make annoying noise, it can tear up a lot of other parts on the way out!
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: