Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sputtering once warmed up
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jvaleski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Sputtering once warmed up Reply with quote

An unfortunate pattern has emerged. First thing in the morning, I take my 356 out for a 30 minute spin to a cafe. After a 20 minute coffee, I get back into the car, fire it up, and drive back home. About 5 minutes into the drive the car starts to stumble a bit while at constant speed (55mph or so). After around 10 seconds, everything is back to normal. Then, after a minute or so, the stumbling/sputtering starts back up, and calms down after 10 seconds or so. This goes on until I get home (sometimes stalling completely at stop lights when I come down from speed).

It’s as though the car is fine until *after* that first drive, and then, the rest of the day (intermittent short errands) it drives w/ that stumbling/sputtering.

Obviously I’m doing a poor job describing the stumbling/sputtering; let me try harder. When it starts doing this, giving it more gas on the throttle is met with nothing, and in fact it seems to exacerbate it a bit. It’s as though it’s only running on two pistons or something... severely underpowered, and as though there are gaps in firing or something. It sounds sputtery instead of the usual purr.

When it breaks out of those sputtery spells, everything seems (power... sound) fine.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what could be wrong? Thank you in advance.
RolandD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Sputtering once warmed up Reply with quote

Blocked vent for the gas tank?

Roland
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Sputtering once warmed up Reply with quote

Failing condenser?

Actually I had what sounds like the same symptoms. I replaced all of the ignition consumables and still had the issue. It finally went away when I replaced the whole distributor. I’m still not sure what is bad about the old distributor, but I plan to have it professionally restored.
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Sputtering once warmed up Reply with quote

kpf wrote:
Failing condenser?

Actually I had what sounds like the same symptoms. I replaced all of the ignition consumables and still had the issue. It finally went away when I replaced the whole distributor. I’m still not sure what is bad about the old distributor, but I plan to have it professionally restored.

That's my guess. Sounds like distributor problem.
Years ago I bought a 69 911t targa with new rebuilt engine. Paid $5000 it was in good shape. I could not get the engine run right (same symptoms). Took it to a shop and was told motors bad. Called guy who sold to me and we agreed to cancel sale. I later learned it was a $5 condenser. To this day I could shoot myself knowing the value now.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Sputtering once warmed up Reply with quote

jvaleski wrote:
An unfortunate pattern has emerged. When it starts doing this, giving it more gas on the throttle is met with nothing, and in fact it seems to exacerbate it a bit. It’s as though it’s only running on two pistons or something... severely underpowered, and as though there are gaps in firing or something. It sounds sputtery instead of the usual purr.

When it breaks out of those sputtery spells, everything seems (power... sound) fine.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what could be wrong? Thank you in advance.

Well this sounds like Distributor or Coil or Spark Plug wires Or Condensor or Points or Plugs to me.
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Sputtering once warmed up Reply with quote

I had that exact problem.

It turned out to be rotted bits of fuel line rubber trapped behind the needle valves of both Zenith carbs. Cleaned the crud out; the sputtering went away.
jvaleski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Sputtering once warmed up Reply with quote

Thank you all for your insight/ideas/thoughts.

I replaced the coil and the condenser, and unfortunately the issue persists.

It’s actually gotten worse as the outside temp has increased over the past couple of days (summer’s here!). Yesterday it completely stalled out... had to let it cool overnight.

So, it definitely seems connected to outside temperature and temp in general. First thing in the morning, it runs great for awhile, and then, downhill from there.

I’m starting to wonder if there’s an issue w/ the fuel pump... if the temp increase is causing trouble there... boiling of fuel?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Sputtering once warmed up Reply with quote

Perhaps check some basic's Like Fuel Pressure and Float levels. When Zeniths get heat soaked a 356 won't start very good even with everything else working but they will eventually start if you don't pump them just hold the throttle open and crank. When was the last time the fuel pump got a new diaphragm?
jvaleski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Sputtering once warmed up Reply with quote

How do I check those things?

I don’t know about the diaphragm.
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Sputtering once warmed up Reply with quote

RolandD wrote:
Blocked vent for the gas tank?

This is easy to test. If you open your gas cap, do you hear a hiss of air rushing in or out? Check this when the car sputters out. You should also be able to test this after the car has simply been sitting in the sun for a while because as the gasoline warms it expands. If the vent is clogged, the tank will become pressurized.

I had a clogged vent and noticed it because of the sound when opening the cap. Strangely enough, it hadn’t caused any running issues.
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Sputtering once warmed up Reply with quote

To test fuel pump pressure, you will need a fuel pressure gauge that can measure in the 1-5 psi range, a “T” fitting, and some extra fuel line. Presumably your fuel pressure is sufficient when the engine is cold, so you should test after it sputters out. Maybe someone here can tell us if cranking with the starter is enough to generate fuel pressure. If so, you’ll need a helper to crank while you read the gauge (or vice versa).

To measure the float level, you will need a caliper or small metal ruler. Check your shop manual for the correct procedure, but generally you run the car briefly to make sure the float bowls are full, then remove the tops of the carburetors and measure from the surface of the fuel to the top of the bowl. The manual will provide the proper range.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Sputtering once warmed up Reply with quote

Water in the carbs and pull the plugs and see what they look like, Black sooty = float too high, bad plug bad wire bone white = fuel starvation, and tan = everything ok fuel wise.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Sputtering once warmed up Reply with quote

This is me checking it on my 36 horse engine. You will need some kind of extra fitting to maybe hook up to the fuel pump with it disconnected from the carbs. It should idle long enough before it runs out of gas. I think the 36 horse fuel pump may use the same fittings. And the Fuel Pressure gauge is just a cheap one from the auto parts store. Mine had too much fuel pressure.

Link

saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Sputtering once warmed up Reply with quote

How old is the coil? Is it positioned correctly (terminals down)

What is the running temp of the car when it dies?
Yes as outside temp goes up so does the car. However...
Do you have a fuel filter on the car? A clear one will indicate if gas is making it to the bowls. It could be a vapor lock but not likely. The lines run behing the shroud then alone the intake. Not a tremendose amount of tempurature change.

Another thing you can try is once its hot and dies pull the air cleaner off squirt some gas down the bowl and see if restarts. Squeeze small amount of gas down throttle bodies to see if it still runs. Be shure to have something to snuff out possible fire since these are natorious for that.
ensys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Sputtering once warmed up Reply with quote

I should think a plug reading or two could be illuminating.

The business of air temps makes me think in terms of a rich condition that runs well in cool dense air, but which chokes on thinner hot air.

Just a thought.

S.J.Szabo
jvaleski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Sputtering once warmed up Reply with quote

well, this remains an issue. I appreciate everyone's suggestions and thoughts. I haven't been able to check fuel pressure. I'm starting to wonder if the 356 motor (dual zenith carbs) in my '65 beetle body is struggling with the VW fuel lines and fuel take venting/pressure, and somehow as things warm up it's drawing too much/little fuel from the tank. totally guessing here though, I have no actually clue.

things I've adjusted:
- I noticed the gas vent near the gas cap was pinched, so I opened that up; no change.
- I've had the timing tuned; no change.
- I've had the fuel pump rebuilt w/ a new diaphragm/gasket kit; no change.
- I tried a new condenser; no change.
- I've checked the distributer points/gaps (all good there); no change.
- I've tried different octane fuels; no change.
- I've tried wrapping the fuel lines with aluminum foil (I read somewhere else that shielding them from heat might help with potential vapor lock); no change.

in an attempt to trigger any ideas/solutions, and now that I've been living w/ the issue a bit longer, let me describe it again.

when the engine's cold (after a couple of hours of non-use), the car starts great and runs great for 15 minutes or so. at that point while cruising along (3rd or 4th gear) it start to sputter a bit. after a few seconds, it smooths out again. if I keep cruising, it'll happen again in a few minutes, and the cycle continues.

when I downshift on my way to a full stop, the downshifts sound great. once stopped, the engine will generally die (unless I'm able to catch the throttle in time once I can get my foot off the brake pedal) and I can usually crank it back to life with full throttle pumping. from there I can usually move through the gears while it's sputtering.

once I get it parked and switch the engine off, after about five minutes of sitting, it's just dead. it turns over, but never catches. I then have to wait a couple of hours for it to cool down.

I've added some videos of me playing with warm re-starts... you can clearly hear it NOT firing properly. these are basically the sounds it makes when it's struggle at speed too.

Link

Link

Link
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Sputtering once warmed up Reply with quote

- I've tried wrapping the fuel lines with aluminum foil (I read somewhere else that shielding them from heat might help with potential vapor lock); no change.

Aluminum is a conductor, not an insulator. Don't trust condensers if they are Turkish or Brazilian made. Check your fuel lines and make sure there is not a piece of crud in your fuel tank. Good luck!
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Sputtering once warmed up Reply with quote

Take a sparkplug wrench with you and when it starts to sputter pull off to a safe place and pull a plug from each side and see if they are wet I think you may have a float needle that's not shutting off the gas and the carb if overflowing flooding half the motor.
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Sputtering once warmed up Reply with quote

ensys wrote:
I should think a plug reading or two could be illuminating.

The business of air temps makes me think in terms of a rich condition that runs well in cool dense air, but which chokes on thinner hot air.

Just a thought.

I agree with both of these points.

You’ve worked with the ignition components except for plugs and wires. Simply looking at the plugs might help indicate whether there is too much or too little fuel (although weak ignition can look like too much fuel).

Should probably check valve adjustment since that is the first step in a tuneup. Read the plugs and then clean/gap or replace them. Inspect the wires and make sure they connect well at both ends. Might be worth changing the plug wires as a test, or if you don’t know their age.

Finally concentrate on the carburetors. Inspect the float and needle, and measure the fuel height. If you find any sediment in the bowl, you probably need to chase that down before you go any further, and then clean out every orifice in the carburetors. Tune the carburetors according to the manual. If you have chokes, make sure they are functional and tuned correctly.
RolandD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Sputtering once warmed up Reply with quote

Our beekeeping work truck is a 1977 grumann with a chevy 350. But this is a Porsche forum???? . It DOES have one Zenith 32NDIX carb on it. Last summer it sounded like your car on hot days. Turns out the fuel was boiling in the fuel pump(Poured water on it and it ran). The fix was an electric fuel pump near the tank.

Crazy Roland
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: