Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

39 PICT 3 from ebay
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:43 am    Post subject: 39 PICT 3 from ebay Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

h

ttps://www.ebay.com/itm/224784869969

Was reading a older post from 2019 about a 37pict a member bought from ebay. Figured I would give it a go prices are down everyone is looking for sales.

Overall its surprising clean. This one doesn't have the first progression port exposed so that's encouraging. Did find a few brass chips floating around the idle circuit its going to need a complete tear down like all the cheap copy's.
The Venturi is 26mm so it needs to be bored it to at least 30mm. The gaskets are made from card stock so they go right in the trash. But it did come with a 127, 132, 2 137s and a 140 main along with 50,55,60 idle jets. Once a custom intake is made and the carb reworked for 95 bucks its what I expected.
Its uses the 34pict 3 bowl gasket and standard bolt spacing You will have to cut a 34 base gasket bigger of course.

I do make gaskets as a side hustle and have over 100 yards of Fel-Pro material from .015 to .062 thick along with the basic type 1 Gaskets in stock can ship USPS for 4 dollars Just PM me I can do gaskets for any project if you have a gasket I can copy and send you duplicates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 39 PICT 3 from ebay Reply with quote

Are you going to sand down the ridge on carb upper part? The stock solex carbs don't have the ridge.
This video has nice info on tuning a 39mm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL1BfkRol2o

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: 39 PICT 3 from ebay Reply with quote

Can’t wait to hear how it performs.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: 39 PICT 3 from ebay Reply with quote

Unless you do something radical to the rest of the intake system, not much more than what a 34 will support, if any.
Wrt jetting. Bear in mind that the jetting of the engine in the video can not necessarily be used on the next engine. That engine is semi big and has a semi agressive cam etc. AND 3D programmable ignition.
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: 39 PICT 3 from ebay Reply with quote

I read chatter on Samba about a 39mm PICT so I thought I'd give it a shot, I know Ebay would refund my money if I wasn't happy. For those not fluent in carbs, that means the venturi is 5mm (almost 1/4") larger than stock, which flows much more air. I bought this and installed it on my '65 bus w/1904 (w/ CB 2280 cheater cam) to replace the 34PICT and it works great, and gives at least 5+ HP, enough to feel. Really surprised at how well it runs, the only minor modification was the fuel inlet was setup for 1/4" hose rather than the 5.5mm that VW uses. It is a no-name Chinese unit with nothing cast into the body at all, it's crazy that a $105 carb works this well!

Most of the adjustments had to be tinkered with, which is expected. It comes with a bunch of different size jets, I thought a 138 would be a good place to start so I pulled the main jet and it had a 138 in it. I've only put about 50 miles on it, but the 1904 loves it!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184986216721

'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263

Last edited by Bruce Amacker on Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 39 PICT 3 from ebay Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Unless you do something radical to the rest of the intake system, not much more than what a 34 will support, if any.
Wrt jetting. Bear in mind that the jetting of the engine in the video can not necessarily be used on the next engine. That engine is semi big and has a semi agressive cam etc. AND 3D programmable ignition.

Do you think that a high-flow center section would be sufficient, or would the endcastings need to be worked up as well? Only thing that keeps me from trying a larger centermount carb is the voodoo of modifying the end castings. Lots of talk but little in the way of explanation regarding the work they need.

Part of me has a perverse desire to grab two of these 37 or 39 PICT carbs, delete the cutoff solenoids, and make some adapter plates to mount them on Kadron manifolds, with some sort of modified Berg linkage. Think

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 39 PICT 3 from ebay Reply with quote

I have not seen all models of the chinese 39 Solex. The ones I HAVE seen all have a 28 mm venturi, so 2 mm larger than stock 34 Solex.
Depending on the level of detail to both engine, end castings and air cleaner, such a 1904 engine will gain some midrange torque and a few ponies up top. It will level out around 80 hp. The air cleaner simply can´t supply anymore air

Ling. You ARE sick Rolling Eyes While possible the dual PSIT thing has no bearing.

Wrt the CB/Empi hi flow center section, yes, it can make a difference, if the enginbe can breathe. The air cleaner is the first point of attention. either a gutted´n modified stock or some sort of decent aftermarket. Then the center section, then the end castings. For a street engine set up (No desert race and the likes) anything above approx 88 hp requires modification of the end castings. anythings possible within reason, but my take is that anything above 1800 cc benefits from the CB end casting.
Slapping a 37 or 39 mm carb on a CB manifold along with modified end castings can give you some 10 nm more torque over a stock 34 w. 28 mm venturi. Dependant on engine and combo you can go up to about 120 hp without too much trouble. From roughly 1900 cc & up it becomes interesting to look at a larger center section. (I´m working on that. Wensing already has a 39 mm I.D. center section available, but it is too large fr medium size engines (IMHO) Mine will be approx 36 mm I.D. to suit medium size engines with both 37 & 39 mm carbs better.) Then 120ish hp is possible. Still with almost stocklike idle around 900 rpm on say a 2109/2165 cc engine. My 2165 stocker plus bus engines typically pull 115-120 hp and around 190 Nm torque. - I built a prototype last year to sort of see how far I could go and what it would pull (bus engine potential and still 2165 displacement) I got to 130 hp and 210 Nm torque, still with very nice idle @ 875-900, but the last 10% power is too expensive unless you absolutely want.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 39 PICT 3 from ebay Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:

Ling. You ARE sick Rolling Eyes While possible the dual PSIT thing has no bearing.

I said Perverse, not Sensible Laughing

I had a 1200 with dual 30PICTs years ago, on homemade welded manifolds. It was really nice, actually. Similar vein to that but with old dual port take-off steel kadron manifolds would be an interesting jaunt into diminishing returns.

Would be a fun, challenging project that would be a definite waste of time with the Chinese IDFs being so affordable now though.

For the center section setup though, I look forward to seeing more. Very interesting what you guys can do with them.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 39 PICT 3 from ebay Reply with quote

I have already port matched the end castings and opened the inlets to 1.400
Put them back on with my 34pict and stock center section Im currently running.

Using a AFR gauge it needed more accl pump (picked up a flat spot) and at WOT I went from a 130 main to a 135.

My end castings had a .080 difference on the inlet side so clearly they were made at different times or is that normal? That was really killing power.

Its a 1776 with stock heads 3 angle valve job 100 cam trimill exhaust and a custom high flow air cleaner so once I do a high flow center section and the 39pict it should be a sweet little motor.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 39 PICT 3 from ebay Reply with quote

Its too bad there isnt more methods to improve flow in the end castings. Im guessing 10 to 15% should be not too hard to do.

I would be happy to pay someone to do a little work on mine. Booger cleanup is about all I found so far. The CB pieces are huge, too big unless you have a bigger motor and 44 or 48 weber or similiar, maybe 40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 39 PICT 3 from ebay Reply with quote

Extrude hone porting

Nothing New but you gotta pay to play $$$
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: 39 PICT 3 from ebay Reply with quote

DesertSasquatchXploration wrote:
Extrude hone porting

Nothing New but you gotta pay to play $$$

Doesnt do squat. - Well, it does, but nothing to write home about. My above general guidelines are dynoproven, and works. If you want to "buy" your way through it Wensings end castings are the solution. They are approx 33-34 mm I.D. and will support 115-120 hp out of the box. But they are not really interesting until 1900 cc minimum.
In the OP´s situation, a CB centersection would be a good choice, but reworking the end castings for more wohnt be worth it because the engine below will not really be able to exploit it.
Without trying to sound like a broken record I will say this agian:
Building a stocker plus that will run is relatively easy.
Building a stocker plus that idles like a top fueler and pulls fair to even quite decent is relatively easy.
Building a stocker plus that will make power and still have stockish behaviure, meaning easy to work with , easy to drive and still gets off the lawn in a hurry if you ask for it is much more difficult. One of the most overlooked things in that matter is not understanding the choice of camshafts. You CANNOT go by the same rules as the salesmen have showed down people thoat for the last 30 or more years if you want to do a succesfull build. Even cams that looks like they are "similar" can be VERY different in behaviure. That´s the first to understand. Then there is all the rest Cool
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: 39 PICT 3 from ebay Reply with quote

The Guido Wensing end castings are the real deal, I have had a very good experience with mine with my Single IDF setup I use sometimes. Noticeably better fuel distribution to each cylinder as well, at idle and lower loads.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: 39 PICT 3 from ebay Reply with quote

The only way I would even consider the HiFlow CB intake is if they let me do the carb mounting holes myself. I understand its drilled for 30 and 34 pict but yikes! Looks like they had a liquid lunch, To get burs that bad the drill is beyond dull.

But its not built for the 39pict anyway.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 39 PICT 3 from ebay Reply with quote

DesertSasquatchXploration wrote:

The only way I would even consider the HiFlow CB intake is if they let me do the carb mounting holes myself. I understand its drilled for 30 and 34 pict but yikes! Looks like they had a liquid lunch, To get burs that bad the drill is beyond dull.
I did´nt say it was plug and play, but it still outflows the factory one with quite a margin. The two extra holes can easily be closed with some JB weld. Not a problem.
But its not built for the 39pict anyway.
For the time being only the Wensing Center section is. but it is too large for a 1776 displacement.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 39 PICT 3 from ebay Reply with quote

If I were to build a new intake to take advantage of the improved end castings using my 34pict and open the Venturi to 28MM.

The most common 16 gauge tube sizes found here in the states I can get easily are...

1 3/8 OD = 31.7 to 32mm ID (stock)

1 1/2 OD = 35mm ID

1 5/8 OD = 38mm ID

1 3/4 OD = 41.2mm ID

Using 1 1/2 OD for both parts looks like the best approach from what you are saying or is it crucial to maintain 34MM down to the horizontal connection?
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 39 PICT 3 from ebay Reply with quote

Even though it may sound right a 1½" tubing will be too much for a 1776 displacement. 32 mm works greeat. Also, there are a couple of distribution improvements built into the CB/Empi one, and one restriction (when looking at it for a 37/39 carb bore.)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 39 PICT 3 from ebay Reply with quote

Ok well im quite surprised with the improvement after the port matching and inlet cleanup on the end castings. CB is out of stock on the manifold I can hunt one down used. Should I open the stock 34pict venturi to 28mm or leave it alone?
I have a lathe so that's no trouble but its hard to put the material back on.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 39 PICT 3 from ebay Reply with quote

The CB Center section is exactly 32mm ID for the horiz runs. It, to my understanding has improved flow due to the inverted Y in the center.
Jubilee Kafer 1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: 39 PICT 3 from ebay Reply with quote

With the 39mm carb, with a larger diameter intake manifold.
What would be the ballpark upper limit of engine cc, using a GTV single spring head ?

Thanks

Last edited by Jubilee Kafer 1985 on Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: