Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

buspor63 wrote:
Howesight wrote:

I think that using up that 310Ah will be more of a chore than re-charging. So far, I am not seeing any appreciable net discharge in my 280Ah battery, but it is early days and I have just been running my TF-65 fridge at 25F plus some use of my CDH. But so far, I am seeing that I would really have to work at creating loads that would use up the 280Ah of capacity. I suspect that the 30 amps from the Victron might well be enough

So, what I gather here is, spend more on batteries and the DC/DC and skip the solar and solar charge controller.

It really depends on your usage and needs.

Add up how many days you want to camp at a time times the daily power use you will have each day and see what that number of Amp Hours is.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:

Do you think it would overheat the alternator by continuously pulling 60 amps?

I plan on running a subaru 135amp alternator.

Also, for what it's worth - I DO 100% agree that 60amp is overkill. But the Renogy unit has this feature:

The DC-DC battery chargers feature 50% current limiting from the rated specification when
connecting the LC Terminal to a 12V source. Current Limiting is instant and recommended to
be connected to the same location as the D+ ignition cable.

So my thought is I'm going to 90% of the time run it at 30amp mode. However IF I need to - I can run it 60 amp mode.

My thought also is the unit will last longer given it's running at 50% most of the time.
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Great video;

https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2019/10/07/careful-alternator-charging-lithium/

BK
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
xoo00oox wrote:

Do you think it would overheat the alternator by continuously pulling 60 amps?

I plan on running a subaru 135amp alternator.

Also, for what it's worth - I DO 100% agree that 60amp is overkill. But the Renogy unit has this feature:

The DC-DC battery chargers feature 50% current limiting from the rated specification when
connecting the LC Terminal to a 12V source. Current Limiting is instant and recommended to
be connected to the same location as the D+ ignition cable.

So my thought is I'm going to 90% of the time run it at 30amp mode. However IF I need to - I can run it 60 amp mode.

My thought also is the unit will last longer given it's running at 50% most of the time.

Hell, get real fancy and put a temp switch on the alternator that stops the dc/dc when things get too heated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Ah yeah looks like I signed myself up for a project. I guess a microcontroller to interface with obd2. Basically if I need the 60 amps, RPM has to be above 2k for last 30 seconds, else set current to 30 amps.

Might as well throw in a temperature sensor and smoke sensor. Ironically the wires are already ran from the dash to the engine bay.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

buspor63 wrote:
Howesight wrote:

I think that using up that 310Ah will be more of a chore than re-charging. So far, I am not seeing any appreciable net discharge in my 280Ah battery, but it is early days and I have just been running my TF-65 fridge at 25F plus some use of my CDH. But so far, I am seeing that I would really have to work at creating loads that would use up the 280Ah of capacity. I suspect that the 30 amps from the Victron might well be enough

So, what I gather here is, spend more on batteries and the DC/DC and skip the solar and solar charge controller.

No, that's not the message I meant to convey. First, I am impressed (so far) with how long my 280Ah battery will run my power-hungry TF-65 fridge (set at 20 degrees F), charge some rechargeable lights, and run a few sessions of testing my CDH (an 11 amp draw on start-up). But if you buy the Redarc or Renogy DC-DC chargers, both units have a built-in MPPT solar charge controller, so you do not have to get a second device for your solar panels and you can bring and use those panels on longer stays in one location.

I was also very impressed with how quickly my 40-amp rated Redarc BCDC1240D charger replenished my 280Ah battery from alternator power. When the LiFePo4 is discharged to, say, 85% capacity or below, (just estimating for now pending my State of Charge meter install), then the Redarc commences charging at 43 amps. That's a lot of power! Four drives to and from my office over two days (40 minutes times 4) brought my batteries up to an indicated 95%. The solar equivalent of the 43 amps just mentioned is right around 600 watts. I only have 300 watts of solar panels and plan to only bring 200 of that due to space constraints (the 2 100-watt units fit in the luggage rack).

We do mostly weekend camping with a few longer trips. At this time, even for a 4-day weekend, I can't see how we could burn through 240 amp hours (assuming I leave 7% room at the top and 8% at the bottom of the SOC curve) with the electrical draws that we use. We don't use an inverter or any induction heaters or the like - - just lighting, mobile phone charging, the refrigerator, and laptop charging from time to time. YMMV.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Okay, well, just found a box on my porch.. Even though it was raining, I had to get some initial findings done, kids seemed to be willing to jump in too! Definitely a hungry device...

5 devices (4 phones and 1 TV) pulling 'net from the roof.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Famous Quote:

"And it would have worked if it weren't for those meddling teenagers".
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Is that a Starlink? I assume you just let it rest on the roof - how difficult do you think would it be to pack/unpack daily (for example, if stored on a Pelican box for transportation)?

Also, could you please explain what's your reading and what are your findings? It is a power-hog?

I'm registered for the service but it's not due to be available in our area till 3Q I believe.

bobbyblack wrote:

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Starlink, ya. Mobile'ish I guess. I think deployment would take you about 3 minutes. If you made a decent travel box, it would be okay. I am not sure of how to 'ask it' to change its pole position, which would make forming a case a trick. Maybe near the end of a campout you'd orient the base so that would then get the antenna to then fit it in a foamed in box.. Hard to imagine right now.. Needs much more contemplation.

Amway, I don't know how to interpret much from the 3 1/2 hours it was out, I decided that the rain and wind were justification to put it back in the garage. So, a couple shots of battery state.

The engine run time was under 4 minutes so I am not sure what to make of the two following screen caps. From the last few times I watched, the dc-dc charger might have given it close to 38 amps.

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Dammmnnn that Starlink tho!!

I'm signed up. Curious what amps it pulls and how hard it was to install on top of your van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

I just set it up there over my skylight so I could watch it move to locate sat trajectories.. I saw 15 amps for a good 7 minutes while the motors did their job. I'm not sure how much the motors do after it acquires an optimal angle. The least draw I saw was 9 amps with all android devices disconnected and TV off.

When it got windy I set it in the luggage rack and found it easy to secure to the footman's loops, maybe 30 seconds there using Velcro strapping. The cable was easy enough to bring in the lower front edge of the slider, no problem or pinching with the door closed. I think a network jack could be jerry rigged in a Westy hookup box easy enough.
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Curious, how do you power the antenna? Does it require an inverter or can it use 12v?

bobbyblack wrote:
I just set it up there over my skylight so I could watch it move to locate sat trajectories.. I saw 15 amps for a good 7 minutes while the motors did their job. I'm not sure how much the motors do after it acquires an optimal angle. The least draw I saw was 9 amps with all android devices disconnected and TV off.

When it got windy I set it in the luggage rack and found it easy to secure to the footman's loops, maybe 30 seconds there using Velcro strapping. The cable was easy enough to bring in the lower front edge of the slider, no problem or pinching with the door closed. I think a network jack could be jerry rigged in a Westy hookup box easy enough.

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

pnwkayaker wrote:
Curious, how do you power the antenna? Does it require an inverter or can it use 12v?

Looks like industry standard POE (I think 48V) but the supplied transformer is 110V, so it would take an adapter of some other sort. Perhaps the website has options. I was more focused on a roof mount or pole mount option when I was looking, and didn't notice a section for 12V adapter. I have a bit of over-the-top inverter in my rig, as I was having a hard time sourcing a DC television... Also my laptop, and several other of my 'tools' are easier to use 110V ac than to find and purchase DC alternatives.

Edit: Looked at my account, no, I don't see anything listed for power supply options. Although I do see some articles on upcoming versions of this for boats, or RV's so, I would guess there will be more options later.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

I need to order a BMS for my new batteries. I can confirm that they have M6 studs.

I was holding off on ordering the Overkill BMS since it comes in 2 sizes, M6 and M8. But now the Overkill unit is sold out and no projected restock.

So, anyone got a good reference on a BMS that does the proper job and has bluetooth to an app?

TIA.

The Western Syncro build
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

So, anyone got a good reference on a BMS that does the proper job and has bluetooth to an app?

TIA.

Page 11 on this thread.

gtinseth wrote:

I found the same BMS hardware that Overkill uses on aliexpress for $58 shipped at https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32858179124.html? Click on the 4SLFP120A UARTRS485 button to get the fully loaded version. This works with the same app that Overkill uses (probably because it is the same BMS).

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
dobryan wrote:

TIA.

Didn't Brandon mention the OverKill was just a name slapped on the same units from another provider? Like 10 pages ago? For like less than 1/2 the cost?

I'll look back, and edit if I find it.

I remember something like that but I did not see it when I looked again.... but this is a long topic.

The Western Syncro build
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

I remember something like that but I did not see it when I looked again.... but this is a long topic.

Page 11

Ya, I misremembered the original poster of the AliExpress unit.. edited my above post.
ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

So then...why buy OverkillBMS? Does it provide any benefit aside from stateside shipping?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

ProspectiveOwnergon wrote:
So then...why buy OverkillBMS? Does it provide any benefit aside from stateside shipping?

I got the Overkill, I like the "if you can break it, I will replace it, forever" part. Not sure AliExpress feels the same on that..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Jump to:
Page 26 of 45

Jump to: