Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

I'd be willing to buy the Overkill for the customer support but I cannot wait an indeterminate amount of time. I ordered the Aliexpress version above.

Thanks!

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

I purchased the same BMS that Overkill sells, but from a local guy here in the Vancouver area who buys bulk orders of LiFePo4 cells, BMS units, etc from China and sells them as components or complete, assembled batteries.

I am happy with my BMS, but I now know exactly why the Overkill unit is so popular:

1. You get exactly what you thought you would get;
2. You get excellent tech assistance from Overkill (according to the people reviewing them);
3. You can get customized output wiring from them; and
4. The most important aspect - - they have an excellent manual!!! The manual addresses theory of operation, installation, and most important for me, how to use the Bluetooth capability of the BMS.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Aargh! Finally got a tracking number for Fedex from the Chinese seller - having ordered these 280Ah cells back on Dec 29th. Yup, they arrived over here in the US in February, got to within two miles of my house then vanished 400 miles away in San Dimas. Now in dispute with Aliexpress, as only the sender can claim a refund from Fedex.

Very cross, as I have all the rest of the installation done, just waiting for the battery. Loads of trips planned. Grr...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Placing my AliExpress order and is there really a benefit to paying nearly $200 more for 120ah pack?

Are Grade A really worth it between these two packs?

Grade A US Ship - $442 ($339 for China ship)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001028578361.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.5.390ec0dcWcx2I9

VariCore pack China ship - $270.48
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001573306086.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.115a3c00EDwTll&mp=1
Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

My order for 12v BMS was just canceled by seller. (Overkill Solar)
I tried to get a Daly, but it was a baitnswitch with an old model.

Does anyone know where I can get 2 12v BMS like the Overkill? or an alternative?
They are the missing pieces to the project.

Thanks
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
Aargh! Finally got a tracking number for Fedex from the Chinese seller - having ordered these 280Ah cells back on Dec 29th. Yup, they arrived over here in the US in February, got to within two miles of my house then vanished 400 miles away in San Dimas. Now in dispute with Aliexpress, as only the sender can claim a refund from Fedex.

Very cross, as I have all the rest of the installation done, just waiting for the battery. Loads of trips planned. Grr...

That's got to be incredibly frustrating!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Rorke wrote:

Does anyone know where I can get 2 12v BMS like the Overkill? or an alternative?

Thanks

Hi Rorke:

The unit that Overkill Solar sells is either the same unit as or is identical to the Xiaoxiang BMS which is supposed to be a medical-grade device. Overkill customizes these units and has prepared an excellent user manual and also provides support, which is why I would still endorse Overkill when they have stock to sell.

Here is a link to what I think is the same unit that I purchased from a local Vancouver seller who imports his BMS units from this company in China:

https://www.lithiumbatterypcb.com/product/4s-or-3s...t-current/

The reason I can't be more certain is that the company website is in Chinglish, which I have trouble understanding.

Here are pics of the label on the BMS which I actually received from my local seller:

Note that the above label includes an email address that you might try for ordering information.

Don't worry if the BMS you buy has only two wires on each side (2 black and 2 blue) because you can easily solder a third wire in place in the spare hole.
Christopholi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
Rorke wrote:

Thanks

Hi Rorke:

The unit that Overkill Solar sells is either the same unit as or is identical to the Xiaoxiang BMS which is supposed to be a medical-grade device. Overkill customizes these units and has prepared an excellent user manual and also provides support, which is why I would still endorse Overkill when they have stock to sell.

Here is a link to what I think is the same unit that I purchased from a local Vancouver seller who imports his BMS units from this company in China:

https://www.lithiumbatterypcb.com/product/4s-or-3s...t-current/

The reason I can't be more certain is that the company website is in Chinglish, which I have trouble understanding.

Here are pics of the label on the BMS which I actually received from my local seller:

Note that the above label includes an email address that you might try for ordering information.

Don't worry if the BMS you buy has only two wires on each side (2 black and 2 blue) because you can easily solder a third wire in place in the spare hole.

Would you mind mentioning the seller you use in Vancouver? Looking at options here myself.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
fxr wrote:

That's got to be incredibly frustrating!
You
Are
Not
Kidding!!!

Fedex insist the shipping label must have come adrift, so that's definitely down to the seller or their agents.

So finally, Aliexpress have said a full refund should happen, if the seller doesn't continue the dispute during the next four days.

So I'll be ordering again, preferably from somewhere with more reliable shipping. <sigh>
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

My 310aH CATL cells came in from Shenzhen Basen Technology Co., Ltd.

Order placed on 2/15/21 and came in 4/7/21.

Everything looks good. These came with studs already applied to the cells. Also has anyone ever heard liquid in their cells? This is first I've heard liquid inside them.

All voltages are 3.27 but that doesn't mean much. They're in parallel and being top balanced right now.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
My 310aH CATL cells came in from Shenzhen Basen Technology Co., Ltd.

Order placed on 2/15/21 and came in 4/7/21.

Everything looks good. These came with studs already applied to the cells. Also has anyone ever heard liquid in their cells? This is first I've heard liquid inside them.

All voltages are 3.27 but that doesn't mean much. They're in parallel and being top balanced right now.

Having read that, I've just had a look at those. I'll be ordering some as soon as the refund comes in. Smile I like the idea of the studs rather than the screws. Did they specify a torque for the nuts? I can't see that on the advert.
https://basen.en.alibaba.com/product/1600181184036...ystem.html
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

I think studs are the standard now? Mine essentially had a threaded insert on the top, along with some studs that you thread on with an allen wrench. I ended up ordering some shorter studs, to help with clearance between the lid and the batteries.

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

My 280A/h cells came with M6 studs. Upon looking at the terminals, it is clear that the flat surfaces on the terminals handle all the current and the studs (or bolts) only press your wire end terminals against the cell terminals.

That being so, I used a dab of blue Loctite on the bottom of each stud before screwing the stud into the cell terminal.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

jokeraus wrote:
Starting to make progress on my 280AH setup located over the transmission. I had an old setup here using GC2 batteries, so so heavy. But they worked fine for several years. Based on the life expectancy of lithium this will be much cheaper in the long run.

I bought these cells from a seller called XUBA on alibaba. The four cells came to just under $500 with shipping. Supposedly they are grade A EVE cells. These measure at 6.9"L x 2.9"W x 8"H. My wife and I are planning on traveling full time with me working remotely hence the reason for so much capacity.

Initial balancing and inspection. Everything looking good. Top balanced to 3.6V connected in parallel, took about 6 hours. I have yet to do a load test but based off other buyers there should be no surprises.

Where we at with this?!? This is sweet!

Last edited by shagginwagon83 on Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Where we at with this?!? This is sweet![/quote]

Jokeraus is the man for sure. He is still working on it to my knowledge.

I am working on a similar project. But I think that the box can be a little bigger.
Certainly it can be made taller, but then you would need to add a false floor to raise the level. The trade off would be a thinner mattress over new level.

There is another thread where a Samba guy, Duncan, has reworked the throttle and coolant lines. He has increased this space by 50%. That is huge.
I don't have the time or skills to do that. Maybe if it was January.

I am trying to fit in the Start battery as well. Slightly smaller Optima brand with sufficient cold cranking amps. My aux battery is identical 280ah.

Here are the basics to understand.
The box is deeper on the drivers side. The Passenger side is blocked by the starter. I would trust Jokeraus's dimensions.
The box can be cut to about 39" athwartships (across-way).
The fore-aft length looks to max out at about 11.5"
Depth is variable as mentioned.

It is going to get warm in this space. not hot. It is fine for gasoline (syncro has tank there). It might be nice for aux battery charging as is should get up to temp faster.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

That is super rad and would make use of empty space. However I intended to later down the road switch to SubaruGears trans. So that upgrade will have to wait for me.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

I don't know if I recommend the 310aH cells from Shenzen. After investigation it seems the original QR code was scratched off.

From my research EVE 280ah (or 272ah) cells are the best - however you're going to be paying twice as much for that quality. Second best would be the Lishen 272aH.

I'm going to capacity test my 310aH CATL and will keep you guys posted. If you're interested in researching cell brands/sellers I'd recommend the DIYSolar forum.

Here is the thread talking about 310aH CATL cells from Shenzen Basen https://diysolarforum.com/threads/catl-310ah-grade-a-prismatic-cells-from-basen.17359/page-5
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Thanks for that, noted.
ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Prices are starting to skyrocket. Sad
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

ProspectiveOwnergon wrote:
Prices are starting to skyrocket. Sad

Where are you seeing this at? This is why I quickly jumped from 150aH to 310aH - I worried that import tax would increase or shipping would be increased.

I feel one of the reasons why we are getting these pretty cheap is that they're not marking them as as lithium when shipped inside the USA. To Fedex - this looks like a regular package. I noticed on my package there wasn't the 'battery inside' warning label that is often on my Amazon packages that contain lithium.

The ones that I bought are about the same price
Code:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/4pcs-3-2V-LiFePO4-Lithium-ion_1600076835431.html

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Jump to:
Page 27 of 45

Jump to: