Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

The body of the battery should be negative.

I'm not trying to hurt your feelings but, based on what I see in some of those pics, it seems that maybe not enough care was taken in securing, installing or handling of the batteries.
Perhaps the damage was done during the removal process but there are a lot of nicks and tears in the plastic film on your batteries beyond where your primary damage is.

If the battery body were to contact a dissimilar metal then galvanic corrosion could occur eating away at the body until all your juice oozed out making matters even worse.

There is usually some form of electrolyte in LiFePO4 batteries.
This can range from a liquid to more gel like.
Some liquid types are absorbed into a porous material.

Either way, whatever happened sure did make a mess and wreck those batteries.

I think this helps to illustrate why the LiFePO4 chemistry is considered safer than other lithium chemistries.
You might not have been so lucky, if you want to call it that, with something else.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

vwhammer wrote:
The body of the battery should be negative.

I'm not trying to hurt your feelings but, based on what I see in some of those pics, it seems that maybe not enough care was taken in securing, installing or handling of the batteries.
Perhaps the damage was done during the removal process but there are a lot of nicks and tears in the plastic film on your batteries beyond where your primary damage is.

If the battery body were to contact a dissimilar metal then galvanic corrosion could occur eating away at the body until all your juice oozed out making matters even worse.

There is usually some form of electrolyte in LiFePO4 batteries.
This can range from a liquid to more gel like.
Some liquid types are absorbed into a porous material.

Either way, whatever happened sure did make a mess and wreck those batteries.

I think this helps to illustrate why the LiFePO4 chemistry is considered safer than other lithium chemistries.
You might not have been so lucky, if you want to call it that, with something else.

Agree with all of that, except the case is positive.

Also, fairly certain 99.9% of us are running prismatic, not cylindrical. Some fluid is normal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Hey Alika:

Sorry to see what happened to your LiFePo4 cells! I knew nothing about these cells before twigging to how great they are at the current price point and started reading a lot on them. Looking back at your earlier posts about your installation, and with the knowledge I have now, a few things jumped out at me:

1. Did you use a BMS? I did not see one mentioned in your post.

2. The plastic coating on the LiFePo4 cells is not adequate to protect the cell casing from electrical contact - - it's barely enough protection to allow for transport from China. As we now know, a lot of work needs to be done to insulate the cell casings electrically.

3. Your Cyrix Li-Ct 230A DC-DC unit might have allowed over-voltage from your alternator, thus damaging the cells;

4. In my Syncro Vanagon, I get accumulation of water in the box under the driver's seat when the van sits in steady rain. She is a garage queen now, but when camping in the rain, I get water in this area. I think it is from my door seals. Water on or near the aluminum casings on these LiFePo4 cells will degrade and corrode the casing, accelerated by the presence of electricity.

5. The aluminum casing on the prismatic LiFePo4 cells is very thin. It can't really take any impacts for any length of time.

Here's what I did to protect my 280Ah cells which, due to their size, but using the same thin aluminum casing as the smaller cells, are even more vulnerable to physical damage than your 150Ah cells:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I put thin plastic cutting boards bewteen each of the cells which you can barely see in the pic above.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Regardless of if this is what caused Alikas problems or not, This has brought up a very important thing. Don’t let theses cells sit on or near anything metal, they need to be insulated. The entire case is positive! That blue film is too thin to rely to be insulation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Hello!

I'll try answering every question:

They were not in service, just the negative end connected to chassis, the Cyrix Li-CT not connected to anything yet on the charging source end. Just sitting there waiting for me to get to them.

I didn't know care was needed to install these, I was one of the first ones to buy them last year, dropped them in, forgot about them and had to deal with other things first to get my Syncro road worthy. So no water intrusion either. The van is like new with 17K original miles.

I put bamboo spacers between the cells but the bottom and sides were not protected.
So the explanation is clear as crystal now, the insulation got damaged 🙄

The whole assembly was well clamped, but I guess vibrations killed the plastic film fast, which I didn't know was essential. There also was a threaded coupler between cell #1 and 2 and outside cell #4 which was rubbing at the base sides.

That's some sketchy cells to play with, and the battery box under the seat doesn't allow much insulation room.

FML
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Oh, and I do read voltage between the positive lug and the body. Body is negative. That's crazy.
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Well crap. That really is a bummer but at least you likely sorted out the primary cause.

Unfortunately you became the guinea pig for all of us in this instance.

Live and learn, I guess, even if it did cost you a fist full of Benjies.

Also unfortunate is the fact that all the cells will likely need replaced.

4x4 build
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/volkswagen-vanagon-4x4-conversion.162055/
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Yeah, it blows. I had already bought a sketchy battery before that and decided it was a bomb...that's why I went with these cells which were my primary option a long time ago, but none matched the dimensions I was looking for at the time.

I posted ( read bitched) on my stories on IG and had one Vanagon member telling me they stopped to use them. I got a few sketchy looking pictures of exploded cells that caught on fire.

I might go back to them later, for now I'm against the wall and batteries don't ship to Hi.... I bought a GW battery for now to get me going, will install it in CA once I get there.
What a PITA!!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
Yeah, it blows. I had already bought a sketchy battery before that and decided it was a bomb...that's why I went with these cells which were my primary option a long time ago, but none matched the dimensions I was looking for at the time.

I posted ( read bitched) on my stories on IG and had one Vanagon member telling me they stopped to use them. I got a few sketchy looking pictures of exploded cells that caught on fire.

I might go back to them later, for now I'm against the wall and batteries don't ship to Hi.... I bought a GW battery for now to get me going, will install it in CA once I get there.
What a PITA!!

That does suck. Sorry for your troubles.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

jokeraus wrote:
Nice install!

It should be pointed out it has been discovered on these type of batteries with a metal battery case they can be connected to ground, so all contact surfaces should have some padding to keep from anything crazy happening.

I owe you a beer. Please PM me and I'll drop beer money into your paypal.
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Wondering about others who have taken full auxiliary battery systems and converted to LifePo4 systems.

I don't want to muddy up this thread, so wondering if that is worthy of a new thread to focus on what you have already running and need to swap out/add to get to a safe and well functioning LiFePO4 aux system. I've read (and learned) a ton on this thread, but there still seem to be lots of questions about what is and isn't necessary anymore when converting setups. I guess that thread would be more around the other devices vs. the actual cells.

Or should I just keep that conversation here?
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

I just received my cells this past Saturday from AliExpress. I had ordered 16 100ah cells on March 2, so it took 2 full months. I never got a tracking number, they just showed up and when I look back at my AliExpess account it still shows them as awaiting delivery.
It seems that there is a big demand for these Lifepo4 cells now and they are out of stock in many places and the price seems to be creeping upward.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Crooked Designer wrote:
Wondering about others who have taken full auxiliary battery systems and converted to LifePo4 systems.

I don't want to muddy up this thread, so wondering if that is worthy of a new thread to focus on what you have already running and need to swap out/add to get to a safe and well functioning LiFePO4 aux system. I've read (and learned) a ton on this thread, but there still seem to be lots of questions about what is and isn't necessary anymore when converting setups. I guess that thread would be more around the other devices vs. the actual cells.

Or should I just keep that conversation here?

I think this thread is the right place to discuss "conversion" from lead-acid to LiFePo4. Months ago, after this thread twigged my interest in LiFePo4 batteries, I stumbled onto this resource which I found to be very useful as it contains all the info you need and none you don't need, even though the text is almost ten years old:

http://nordkyndesign.com/category/marine-engineering/electrical/lithium-battery-systems/

Since the NordKyn article was written, a number of better LiFePo4 charging systems and BMS units have been released and some DC-DC chargers, some combining alternator-sourced charging with solar-panel-sourced charging have been brought to market.

In a nutshell:

1. LiFePo4 systems are expensive, so you have to be careful not to do anything that will damage them or reduce their life span.

2. Overcharging LiFePo4 system will damage or destroy a cell or cells. This includes even low-voltage "trickle" charging if the battery/cells are already full. If you are using an alternator-powered appraoch, you must use a quality DC-DC charger that is designed to charge LiFePo4 cells. If not, you will damage your LiFePo4 cells.

3. Over-dischaging LiFePo4 cells damages cells. Any time an individual LiFePo4 cell is drawn down to 2.5 volts, damage is done and if drawn below 2.5 volts, the cell will be destroyed.

4. Charging a LiFePo4 cell when the cell is at or below 32 degrees F temperature will damage or destroy the cell. (Discharging below 32 degrees will not damage the cell).

5. You must always use a quality LiFePo4 Battery Management System (BMS) on your cells as the last line of defence against 2, 3 and 4 above.

6. You must top-balance the State of Charge (SOC) of all cells before combining them into a battery with BMS. If possible, use a reliable vendor who top-balances cells before delivery to the end user.

7. Whatever charging device(s) you use for your LiFePo4 battery must be set up for charging LiFePo4 cells. This means that when the current drops as the battery approaches a full SOC, the charging device will STOP CHARGING. A regular "dumb" charger will not do this. A cheap "smart charge" will also not do this. (I use and trust the Redarc DC-DC charge controller.)

8. Chargers described as "Lithium" chargers may not be correct for LiFePo4 systems. Be sure that any charger is designed for LiFePo4 systems because Lithium-Cobalt (Tesla, etc) cells have a significantly higher voltage at 100% SOC.

9. Prismatic LiFePo4 cells must be properly insulated from each other and from any conductive materials, meaning almost all metals. (This does not include the CALB-type cells which already encased in thick plastic shells.) Whether plastic-cased or aluminum-cased with the blue "overwrap", prismatic LiFePo4 cells should be firmly mounted so as to avoid any rubbing against each other and any adjacent items and also to avoid any strain being placed on the terminals because the terminals are quite weak.

10. Never store a LiFePo4 battery or cells at 100% SOC for any length of time. If the battery is not going to be used for a few days, discharge it down to 50% or less SOC first. Storage at high SOC shortens the life of a LiFePo4 battery.

That's really the sum total of the "Rules" for LiFePo4 cells and batteries. Eveything else involves balancing the desire to economize and install quickly on the one hand, and purchasing quality components and using careful assembly on the other hand. All the fine details concern how you implement the "rules".
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:

7. Whatever charging device(s) you use for your LiFePo4 battery must be set up for charging LiFePo4 cells. This means that when the current drops as the battery approaches a full SOC, the charging device will STOP CHARGING. A regular "dumb" charger will not do this. A cheap "smart charge" will also not do this. (I use and trust the Redarc DC-DC charge controller.)

Good summary, but with a correction to #7. The only thing driving charge current is voltage differential. The Victron (and some other) DC/DC charger aren't "smart" beyond being able to set output voltage, which is adequate and simple. For shore power any old, shitty "dumb" charger or power supply with a fixed voltage of 14.4 or below is gonna be just fine, particularly if you route it through your DC/DC which then serves a double purpose (and compensates if it's putting out too low of a voltage to get you to full charge. You can apply the same principle if it's sending too high a voltage as well.

The point about price is debatable, $500 for 280 usable AH is not replicable with any other battery tech I've seen available, and that's ignoring service life.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying, Owokie. I was (for once) trying to be concise in the post above and got #7 wrong.
ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

So this company says they balance the cells and everything, so do I really need to get the 30v 10a DC Power supply to balance these or can the BMS cover it?

Quote:
Get the goods ready:4-7 Days

As a professional distribution and manufacturer of lithium iron phosphate in China,we know the importance of maintaining the consistency of each cell in the battery pack,After receiving the customer's order, we need to balance all cells in 4-7 days, which depends on the quantity ordered by the customer. We need to ensure that the battery capacity, internal resistance and voltage received by the customer are consistent, which is very important.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Most of us (myself included) are not buying the highest/best grade of LiFePo4 cells. Even with the best cells, an annual balancing would be normal maintanance.

Layered on top of that is the fact that the balancing by our friends in China may not have been, ahem, perfect.

I think buying or gaining access to a proper power supply is cheap insurance. My cells already illustrate differing charging rates, so I am going to have to do this (top balancing) in the near future.
ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Thanks Howesight!

I was debating buying the 135ah batteries labelled "New" for $231 shipping from China (august arrival), or say screw it and drop $440 for Grade A 120ah...The pictures of the 135 even show a little swell so that caused me concern...

You suggesting I switch to the "New" for $231 and balancing myself? (emailed james for BMS Smile)
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

The best approach to cheaper cells from China, I think, is to get the balanced set, but approach that as only a starting point. You still need to top balance when you receive them. My vendor was local to me, imported a large quantity from China, waited for delivery, then checked all and top-balanced all before final sale to guys like me. I picked up the day after he completed top-balancing the cells.

It is preferable to have all your cells come from the same manufacturing run. This is most likely to create identical resistance and amp/hour capacity in each cell. Unfortunately, any seller you ask is tempted to say "yes, these are all from the same run", even though this may not be so.

The trick on AliExpress and similar platforms, apparently, is to find a reliable rep with good communication. Months ago, I found on a solar/LiFePo4 forum, that some folks in US and Canada had good experiences with a woman in China who is active on the DIY Solar Power Forum.

Basically, if a person seeks to import a large quantity of cells from China, AliExpress sellers have decent communication and treat buyers reasonably well. For purchasers seeking small quantities, many sellers treat them poorly.

The woman I dealt with appears to have carved out a niche. She realized that potential small-quantity purchasers on the DIY Solar Power Forum were trying to identify LiFePo4 sellers that were reliable and had good communication. She became one of those deemed trustworthy and now has volume and excellent reviews/feedback, which bring lots of new and repeat business. One poster on the DIY Solar Forum recommended using very simple language with the main points as in the following example:

I am writing to you from Vancouver, Canada.

1. I would like to buy 4 pieces of your new, Grade A 280Ah cells plus bus bars.
2. What is your price for 4 pieces?
3. What is your charge for shipping to Vancouver, Canada, Postal Code V6J 0A0 ?
4. What is the expected delivery date?

Thank you!

So:

1. Join the DIY Solar PowerForum;
2. Then search for Amy Wan (Luyuan). She is with Shenzhen Luyuan Technology Co., Ltd,
3. Here is a link for her: szluyuan.en.alibaba.com which hopefully still works.
4. Tell us here on the Samba how well your transaction goes!

I ended up going with a local cell vendor who could supply my cells right then and there with no shipping delay, so I never did complete a transaction with Amy, but her communication when I enquired was excellent and the delivery costs and details provided were also excellent.

By the way, the guy I purchased my 280A/h cells from now assembles them into batteries with a BMS, packages them in a steel box, and sells the finished product for $2,000 CAD! I told him there was a niche market here for VW Westfalia and RV folks. It appears he already knew that. We shall see how his new gig works out:

https://royerbatteries.com/
ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Thanks for the wealth of intel! I've actually messaged Amy many times and she doesn't have the 120ah batteries in stock for the couple times I've asked her. Sad But she has been STELLAR to communicate with...just wish she had the product Sad

Will ask her again. Smile I am not sure how to see if we have a local source here in SoCal, so will have to trust on Aliexpress
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Jump to:
Page 29 of 45

Jump to: