Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Van needs a driveway stay in the Buffalo area end of July
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Van needs a driveway stay in the Buffalo area end of July Reply with quote

Hey all, need some advice and hopefully a friendly driveway stay.

I will be supporting a sailboat transit of the Welland Canal from Lake Erie to Lake Ontario at the end of July (probably July, although early August may also happen depending up the wind gods). A friend of mine is taking is last "big" sailing trip before he sells his boat. He's sailing from Duluth, MN, through the Great Lakes and out to the Atlantic to Rhode Island. This trip was originally planned to route out the St. Lawrence seaway but with Canada being closed we now route via the Erie Canal in Oswego, NY to the Hudson River and out the Atlantic.

My job is to help the locks passages in the Welland Canal, which is basically the locks systems between the two Great Lakes. I'll drive my van from Wisconsin to the Buffalo area, hop on board the sailboat for the canal transit, then either return to the van or sail a few days along Lake Ontario and leave at Oswego NY.

I need a friendly and safe driveway nearby to leave the van for about a week, and also a recommendation on how to get from Oswego back to the van after the canal transit.

I'll also look on VanAlert but wanted to ask here for help first. Anyone know of a safe home stay or safe location to let the van sit for a week, but is near enough to the Buffalo area or Niagara area marinas to hop on board the sailboat? I'd join at the head of the Welland canal, except that's in Ontario and I can't get there from here (via boat, yes, van, no).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Van needs a driveway stay in the Buffalo area end of July Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/groups/664274817007684
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fishgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Van needs a driveway stay in the Buffalo area end of July Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/664274817007684

Good idea!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Van needs a driveway stay in the Buffalo area end of July Reply with quote

the Erie canal passes really close to Syracuse, NY with several Locks and Marinas along the route.
you could take an Amtrak or Greyhound Syracuse to Buffalo. ~180miles (~3hrs each way)
I'll monitor this thread.
Dan from Syracuse.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Van needs a driveway stay in the Buffalo area end of July Reply with quote

I’ve got sailor peeps in Buffalo who can help with car storage.

I regularly transit Albany to Buffalo for biz so can probably help there.

I will be Cape sailing weekends during July and August so will have to dance around that.

If you stay on for the Erie Canal transit to Albany that is summer home for me.

Water in the canal was really low yesterday around Utica, double check that is is all passable for a ocean going draft sailboat.

Pm sent
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: