Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Are there Syncro's without 4WD?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tfrasc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Are there Syncro's without 4WD? Reply with quote

Recently talked to a seller who claims to have a '87 Syncro. They're saying that it has a manual 4-speed plus low gear (no locking rear or front).

I was under the impression that all Syncro's had 4WD, but they're saying there are different types of Syncro's. They said it used to have the Syncro sticker on it, and that it rides a little higher (almost looks like it has a lift) and that was exclusive to the Syncro. It's really nice and only has around 100,000, but it definitely has the price of a Syncro.

Are they mistaken or am I?
mdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there Syncro's without 4WD? Reply with quote

All syncros were full time AWD, not all came with locking differentials. Sounds like a non locker model is what you’re looking at.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there Syncro's without 4WD? Reply with quote

All syncros are 4wd (or all wheel drive). An option for a syncro was a locking diff in the front & rear. This eliminated the "differential" feature of the front & rear diffs for mud, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there Syncro's without 4WD? Reply with quote

All Syncros were 4 wheel drive. In North America many had a rear differential that could lock. Slip between front and rear was handled by a Viscous Clutch in the front differential. They had a 4 speed transmission for the street and a granny or low gear so technically it was a 5 speed.

Now years later there are a lot of variations and plenty to read. No knob, 1 knob, 2 knobs, and even 3 knobs.
10degnorth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there Syncro's without 4WD? Reply with quote

As far as I know Syncros were sold with and without lockers. Every Syncro should be AWD or 4WD. Is there a front diff? If there is it’s a syncro, if not it’s not. You can put a 4WD sticker on any van you want, doesn’t make it a Syncro though (but I wish it did Very Happy ). I may be wrong but that is my understanding.

1988 Microsquirted, Wolfsburg Vanagon (Sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=708000&highlight=

Microsquirt Conversion Guide (Work now Discontinued): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1laXykNPbRYS8MT...2imqd2pnx7
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there Syncro's without 4WD? Reply with quote

Tfrasc wrote:
Recently talked to a seller who claims to have a '87 Syncro. They're saying that it has a manual 4-speed plus low gear (no locking rear or front).

I was under the impression that all Syncro's had 4WD, but they're saying there are different types of Syncro's. They said it used to have the Syncro sticker on it, and that it rides a little higher (almost looks like it has a lift) and that was exclusive to the Syncro. It's really nice and only has around 100,000, but it definitely has the price of a Syncro.

Are they mistaken or am I?

You mention sticker and height...how about drivetrain? is that 4wd? (and does it work as it should?)...also the rear fuel tank usually means syncro.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there Syncro's without 4WD? Reply with quote

Sometimes people have been known to put a Syncro transmission into a 2WD van. This would give the van a low ("Granny") gear and potentially a locking rear differential if the transmission were equipped with that.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there Syncro's without 4WD? Reply with quote

Mine came stock as a "Non-Locker" Syncro Westfalia built in 1987.

A couple bags of money and a bunch of labor and now it is a triple knob.

The only true 4WD Syncro's have the viscous coupler removed and a solid shaft in it's place. This takes away from the AWD capabilities of the van but has better off-road performance. I like the Sport VC that was installed. I can still use AWD when driving on paved roads in winter conditions.

A decoupler is added to "De-Couple" the front differential. This saves stress on the entire drivetrain and transaxle.

The most expensive component to replace on a Syncro is the transaxle. So if buying, be prepared! $$$
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there Syncro's without 4WD? Reply with quote

I think a while back, Rocky mountain westy offered a kit, changed the Syncro trans into a 2WD trans, and gave you the granny rear 2WD, and you could have a locker in that.
So factory Syncro was 4wd, but aftermarket let you put a granny in a 2wd
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there Syncro's without 4WD? Reply with quote

My first Syncro was a "rare" 2WD Syncro with granny gear and locker. Shocked

It had a viscous coupling where the silicone oil had leaked out, so it wasn't engaging the front wheels to any useful degree. Still had pretty good traction with the rear diff locked.
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there Syncro's without 4WD? Reply with quote

The big tell is you fill the gas tank at the rear of the van and not by the passenger door.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there Syncro's without 4WD? Reply with quote

Welcome! Look underneath (or have the seller send pix) and see if there's a driveshaft going forward from the rear transaxle to a front differential. Usually there will also be a framework of square tubing alongside to protect that driveline. It's possible that the driveshaft has been removed for some reason but if the front diff is there it's a Syncro or a conversion by someone.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Are there Syncro's without 4WD? Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:

The only true 4WD Syncro's have the viscous coupler removed and a solid shaft in it's place. This takes away from the AWD capabilities of the van but has better off-road performance.

What? The only true 4wd? Hah. No way.

4wd, 4x4, awd.. etc are all marketing terms and they can be used interchangeably.

That said, I ascribe to the personal opinion that 4x4/4wd refers to solid axles with or without the ability to select 2wd or 4wd and awd refers to cv axles front and rear. Even this is a bit muddy since a lot of suvs have solid in the rear and cv in the front, generally I will still call those 4x4. I do this for clarity of speech among friends but in no way would say anyone is wrong for disagreeing.

But to say the only true 4wd.. that's quite the definitive statement for marketing terms that have no consensus behind them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-wheel_drive
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Are there Syncro's without 4WD? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Syncro Jael wrote:

The only true 4WD Syncro's have the viscous coupler removed and a solid shaft in it's place. This takes away from the AWD capabilities of the van but has better off-road performance.

What? The only true 4wd? Hah. No way.

4wd, 4x4, awd.. etc are all marketing terms and they can be used interchangeably.

That said, I ascribe to the personal opinion that 4x4/4wd refers to solid axles with or without the ability to select 2wd or 4wd and awd refers to cv axles front and rear. Even this is a bit muddy since a lot of suvs have solid in the rear and cv in the front, generally I will still call those 4x4. I do this for clarity of speech among friends but in no way would say anyone is wrong for disagreeing.

But to say the only true 4wd.. that's quite the definitive statement for marketing terms that have no consensus behind them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-wheel_drive

I consider a "true" 4 wheel drive as one that each wheel will turn at exactly the same rate. 4x4.

Mine was a non-locker. AWD. This means one front and one rear wheel will always be pulling.

I added a de-coupler. De-coupled I am only 2WD with only one rear wheel having traction.

I added a rear locker. AWD. Both rear and one front wheel will always be pulling, but at different rates front to rear, due to the viscous coupler and decoupler engaged. Disengaged I am a locked 2WD.

Added a front locker. 4WD. Both front and both rear wheels will always be pulling but at different rates, due to the viscous coupler and decoupler engaged. Disengaged I am a locked 2WD.

Add a solid shaft and both lockers engaged "True 4WD or 4x4. All wheels will turn at the same rate all the time with the decoupler engaged.

Maybe I should have stated it differently?? I consider mine a 4WD even though I don't have a solid shaft. All 4 wheels have the ability to pull but at different rates due to the viscous coupler. I dunno...
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Are there Syncro's without 4WD? Reply with quote

And for those with Syncro tastes on at 2WD budget, there's always this gem:

Budget 2WD to a Syncro conversion for $11.95

MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there Syncro's without 4WD? Reply with quote

Syncro, it's not just a sticker. Cool

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there Syncro's without 4WD? Reply with quote

Quote:

yes... just remove the shaft and you have 2WD Syncro Very Happy
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there Syncro's without 4WD? Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:

I consider a "true" 4 wheel drive as one that each wheel will turn at exactly the same rate. 4x4.

You can interpret that statement in 2 entirely different ways. Even fwd with an open diff turns all 4 wheels at exactly the same speed... in dry conditions in a straight line. Or a very small subset of vehicles that everyone else calls 4x4. A brand new F150 with 4x4 on the side won't turn all wheels exactly the same speed going through mud either. So if that's your definition, the amount of triple locked factory 4x4s is really really small. But again, that's just like your opinion, man. Just like my definition, not accurate, but useful.

In reality, 4x4/4wd/awd are interchangeable.
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Are there Syncro's without 4WD? Reply with quote

sanchius wrote:
And for those with Syncro tastes on at 2WD budget, there's always this gem:

Budget 2WD to a Syncro conversion for $11.95

Hey, thanks for remembering my little Syncro sticker. It was a fun little thread until someone spun it out into the weeds and it eventually got locked.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Are there Syncro's without 4WD? Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
Quote:

yes... just remove the shaft and you have 2WD Syncro Very Happy

A lot of them are 0WD and won't even move under their own power! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: