Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear luggage area light
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:07 am    Post subject: Rear luggage area light Reply with quote

Yet another odd query........
My Aussie delivered 1970 Fastback has a rectangular hole on the upper edge of the rear trunk area, for a light. There are wires there, and even an "on/off" switch activated by the boot hinge. The hole is 8 cms long, and 2 25 cms wide, and is not oval at all - totally rectangular. It is NOT the same size hole as that for the interior light inside the car - it is smaller.
When asking locally about the correct light for this rear trunk area, I was told Aussie delivered cars never had this light, but I find that hard to believe since the wires and the on/off switch were fitted.
Presuming you have this light in US models, does anyone have the part number for it ? I have looked in the VW Parts listing where the part is listed as 151 947 111A, but the drawing for this part number is oval shaped, not rectangular, so I am not sure it is correct. There is a rectanglar light in the drawings, 311 947 111B, but this is listed as "interior light" and there are no dimensions.
So if anyone has a light in the rear luggage section of their 1969 / 1970 (ish) Fastback, and the hole it fits into is 8 x 2.25 cms, if you can see the part number I would appreciate you letting me know.
(Can you tell I am getting close to the end ?? Smile )
Thanks again
Giles
FastyOrange
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Rear luggage area light Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Giles-

The light should look like this if it is supposed to be there. This is on my 1972 Fastback. The left side of the lens was broken by a PO trying to change the bulb, but the lens is in fact oval shaped. The part that clips into the body of the car is more rectangular. I also have a 1970 fastback parts car that was somewhat stripped down when I bought it. The trunk lid switch and wiring are present on that vehicle but the lens itself was removed. I will see if I can get the lens out and find a part number for you.

From what I can remember this light only works when the lights are turned on (either headlight switch position).

Jon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FastyOrange
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Rear luggage area light Reply with quote

One more image of the light for your use. I could not find a part number on the light. It was simply marked Hella in the middle of the lens and Made in Germany on the bottom edge. The only other markings were the VW logo stamped into the two bulb contacts.

Jon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Rear luggage area light Reply with quote

ISPwest sells a variant that will fit, and has a manual switch. It looks like a Bug 'vert part they discovered would fit there.

https://www.vwispwest.com/151947111A/Type-3-Trunk-Light.html

Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear luggage area light Reply with quote

That ISP unit looks ok, Phil, but since it still needs "bending" to make it fit, the price quoted of $76-$140 is eye watering !!!
I think I need a second hand one !!!
But appreciate phoptos - At least I have something to work on now.
G
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Rear luggage area light Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
ISPwest sells a variant that will fit, and has a manual switch. It looks like a Bug 'vert part they discovered would fit there.

https://www.vwispwest.com/151947111A/Type-3-Trunk-Light.html

Yup, the 151 prefix of the part number indicates a bug vert part. Like mentioned above, it only has power with the lights on (gets power from the right rear tail light).
Just so you know, most of those lights have disappeared by now. I know the one in my wife's Fastback has been gone since the late 80's when we got it back then.
It might be easier for you to find a used bug vert light in a salvage yard or a parts place list (one of the Aussie VW forums), rather than buying new.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Rear luggage area light Reply with quote

CIP1 makes a decent replacement item for a squareback. They also show some others as well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: