Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Super Beetle ride vs Standard Beetle??
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle ride vs Standard Beetle?? Reply with quote

As someone who has put substantial miles on both a super beetle and a standard beetle in San Francisco bay area commuter traffic, I can honestly say that I would pick the super every time. The ride is more comfortable and can be much more "sporty", especially once you start to modify the suspension with additional handling upgrades.

I daily drove about 50k miles each on both a 73 super and a 61 beetle, and about 20k on a 71 super, 40k on a 66 beetle. The 66 was better than the 61, but the supers outclassed the others both, all stock and unmodified. A late model is in general a better driver than an earlier car, but the supers in particular are especially nice.

I used to hate supers, until I actually drove one. Surprised Now I actually prefer them.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle ride vs Standard Beetle?? Reply with quote

owdlvr wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I’ve never owned a “Super Beetle” To me the regular car rides well enough and definitely better off-road. The Super was another marketing attempt like Autostik to appeal to the broader base of consumers.

Except, if you've never owned one...how would you know it's just a marketing attempt? The super does have some advantages, and in some respects it does handle better...but the stock setup (height) negates a lot of the advantages.

I've got a 1971 Super, 1973 Super, 1975 Standard Beetle, 1969 Beetle, and a 1958 Beetle (K&L). Driving a stock super beetle vs a stock standard beetle is different. But as previous posters have stated, where each excels is slightly different. From a daily-driver perspective, in stock form, the standard beetle is probably a little more desirable...for one reason only. The super beetle shimmy can be quite annoying to address, unless you're willing to "do the whole front end", properly with high-quality components. The standard beetles don't have any common wear issues that greatly affect driveability, where-as the super certainly does. If both are maintained to the same high standard, however, they are interchangeable from a daily use perspective. If one wishes to modify the beetle, though, the story changes. Both can be made to handle excellently. The super beetle lends itself quite well for street performance, or track modifications. They can be made to handle extremely well. The standard beetle can also be modified for street or track use, and can be made to perform exceptionally well. The beam suspension, however, will limit things like camber and alignment possibilities. In order to get my German Look standard beetle to handle as well as my super beetle (in tarmac form), I've had to go with a much stickier tire setup on the standard beetle. Off road, the super beetle makes a very capable gravel rally racer...but is not well suited for baja-style of racing, or crawling style of modifications. If anything outside of gravel forest roads is of interest, a standard beetle is a better choice.

So, in short:
Daily Driver? - Either
Street / Track? - Either, with an edge to the Super
Rally - Either, with an edge to the Super.
Offroad - Standard

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes well I’ve driven plenty and worked on my share too. So the truth is I made a conscience choice not to own one. I was always drawn to the ease of maintenance and simplicity of the original design.
davidw99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle ride vs Standard Beetle?? Reply with quote

I own a 73 super and a 67 standard. The 73 Super ride is superior over the 67 standard - period. I do not understated the debate.

'73 Saturn Yellow Sports Bug that has undergone a full pan off restoration. "Herbert IV."

'67 Sedan. "Bellamy." Currently being "refreshed" and recently repainted.
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle ride vs Standard Beetle?? Reply with quote

I noticed in all of the comparisons so far between the Super and the standard (including the neat little Youtube video), the standard in question was a pre-1968 model.

I'm not sure that's entirely fair.

If you're going to compare the two, the standard Beetle should at least be a later, post-1968 one. I think even a post-1968 standard would ride better than a pre-1968 standard.
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle ride vs Standard Beetle?? Reply with quote

Yeah, you are right Floating VW, there is the matter of swing axle vs IRS, link pin vs ball joint vs macpherson strut. Presumably they all have different characteristics.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle ride vs Standard Beetle?? Reply with quote

Chris, I’ve seen a review of the Super Beetle. Basically, they said it was more comfortable, but still too slow.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle ride vs Standard Beetle?? Reply with quote

Floating VW wrote:
I noticed in all of the comparisons so far between the Super and the standard (including the neat little Youtube video), the standard in question was a pre-1968 model.

I'm not sure that's entirely fair.

If you're going to compare the two, the standard Beetle should at least be a later, post-1968 one. I think even a post-1968 standard would ride better than a pre-1968 standard.

True, but having driven a handful of restored later beetles too (my ex had a 69, balljoint/IRS, felt almost identical to my balljoint/swing 66) I feel that the IRS vs Swing rear makes less difference than the balljoint vs linkpin vs strut. I find link and ball front ends have very similar comfort when set up correctly.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle ride vs Standard Beetle?? Reply with quote

Well, there is some good stuff said there, for sure for I run a 74 Super German Retro Looker.

Point, if you want to hear from me this is what I did, but did not find out one detail on this when considering which to get, but knew I wanted a Super really, but was looking into Solid Beam just do to basic reasoning...

I Looked into what it took to meet the demands of the type of driving I foresaw.

This was "Super' long for I was looking to use her for trips, like 75+ mile back road trips.. All 55 mph with some basic 60 mph or so drives and maybe even 70+ mph driving...

So, I figured to start, just research... Figure out the financing, how much to spend and all... Plus what it takes to build a 'specific" style car.. But if considering a Super, look at 1975's and up, Rack-N-Pinion on this models, that is what I missed out on.. But yes, here is a link below that since you are in the U.S., you can deal with shipping.. RB

Toplineparts.com
pb_foots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle ride vs Standard Beetle?? Reply with quote

My 75 Super was by far the best handling and riding stock beetle I've ever owned. Felt more like a regular car than any of the other dozen or so beetles I've owned. I commuted over 100 miles a day for quite a while in that car. The FI and super suspension, particularly the 75 rack and pinion, made a huge difference.

I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle ride vs Standard Beetle?? Reply with quote

Not really apples to apples, but I had a chance to drive a 2013 New Beetle (Fender edition) down some country roads today, and compared to my '74 standard Beetle, I have to say I prefer my '74. The suspension on my machine has been modified almost identical to Glenn's (with the addition of a pair of very comfortable, wrap-around racing seats) here:

Glenn wrote:
My 74 rides like a go kart since it's lowered 3" in front, 1" in the rear, has upgraded sway bars, low gas pressure shocks. . .
I like the way mine rides better.

It just feels so much more planted and stable, with considerably more feedback than the New Beetle. Every time the road dipped or swayed, the New Beetle felt like it was going to either bottom out or tip over. I didn't even feel comfortable taking it above 50 mph. My upgraded standard Beetle on the other hand, I've driven it down those very same roads many times at speeds over 60 mph, and I never knew those roads were so "bad" until today.

Granted, when going over small bumps or rough patches, like railroad tracks or chuck holes, the New Beetle was the definite winner. I could go over those much more comfortably in the New Beetle than I could in mine. But chuck holes are easy to avoid in my car, and railroad tracks aren't that bad as long as I don't hit them at speed, so I consider that a rather hollow victory for the New Beetle.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that some people might consider a Cadillac to have the better ride, while others might say a go kart is better. I'm a go kart man, myself (especially if it has comfortable seats).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: