Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

70 Squareback body parts
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject: 70 Squareback body parts Reply with quote

I will be getting a 70 Squareback soon, it will need a lot of work, and some body parts. Can I get some info on what year fenders, doors and lights interchange with a 70.
I am in the Northeast, and I know that they won't be easy to find, but at least I will know what years to search for.

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 Squareback body parts Reply with quote

Most bodywork from '70-up will work.
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 Squareback body parts Reply with quote

Thanks KTPhil, I didn't remember if the 69 was the change over year or not.

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: 70 Squareback body parts Reply with quote

77kafer wrote:
Thanks KTPhil, I didn't remember if the 69 was the change over year or not.

Nope, 69 was the last of the previous body style, with 70 being the big change over year. For 71 the type 3 got a few changes (fresh air system being 1), but for the most part still looked like a 70.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 70 Squareback body parts Reply with quote

'70 was the Only late model that came with popout windows. Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: 70 Squareback body parts Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:

Yup! I had (poorly) fitted poppets to my '71 but since the rear catch didn't have anything to screw to (though the holes themselves are there), I had to use a bungee cord to hold the closed, and kid's wood blocks to hold them open. Fugly, but they worked. Then when ISPwest restored her, they welded in a plate with nuts so I could install them correctly:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: 70 Squareback body parts Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

Yup! I had (poorly) fitted poppets to my '71 but since the rear catch didn't have anything to screw to (though the holes themselves are there), I had to use a bungee cord to hold the closed, and kid's wood blocks to hold them open. Fugly, but they worked. Then when ISPwest restored her, they welded in a plate with nuts so I could install them correctly:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yup, I had to do something similar along those lines to my old 71 Notch, as the holes were there, but nothing to screw into to anchor the rear latches. I think I used some nut serts that got tacked into place, instead of a tapping place (I did have fresh paint in there).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 Squareback body parts Reply with quote

I have a pair of late model rear fenders, and a front fender, all decent and usable. I’m in northern VA and will let them go cheap if you come to get them. I may have some other late model T3 bits, too. PM me if you’re interested.

- Doug
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: 70 Squareback body parts Reply with quote

DougB wrote:
PM me if you’re interested.

- Doug

Thanks, PM sent

NoBudgetVWGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: 70 Squareback body parts Reply with quote

Quick question. Will rear quarter windows from a 70 fit in a 67?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 Squareback body parts Reply with quote

NoBudgetVWGarage wrote:
Quick question. Will rear quarter windows from a 70 fit in a 67?

Yes. Fastback glass is the same thru the years, Square back glass is the same theu the years, and Notchback glass is the same thru the years. If you stay within the models, the glass can be used from any year. Something to keep in mind, ALL pop out glass has a hole in it for the latch assembly.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: