Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The DUMBEST things you've found done to engines
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: The DUMBEST things you've found done to engines Reply with quote

possiaby they were going sledging in reverse Wink
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: The DUMBEST things you've found done to engines Reply with quote

I cant wrap my head around what this place would be like without mr. T. Other than a few % less exciting.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: The DUMBEST things you've found done to engines Reply with quote

Vehicle towed in, customer says car started to overheat, tried to drive to next exit, vehicle shut off.

Absolutely no compression, engine smell like burnt coffee, removed valve cover & plastic windage tray had melted & looked like icing over the camshaft.

Removed oil pan & found that the lower windage tray had also melted, became liquid & sucked into oil pump pickup tube.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: The DUMBEST things you've found done to engines Reply with quote

That’s not going to sludge out....
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: The DUMBEST things you've found done to engines Reply with quote

Time for a pic n pull trip Wink maybe plastic was a poor choice on the engineers fault?!?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: The DUMBEST things you've found done to engines Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Time for a pic n pull trip Wink maybe plastic was a poor choice on the engineers fault?!?

The melting point of that plastic is pretty high, internal temps were probably over 400° given that the oil had started to burn.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUMBEST things you've found done to engines Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Anyone here ever made a mistake?

Yes. And recently too! Embarassed
I ignored a rod that was not falling as freely as all the others.
I thought, Eh! It'll be ok. It wasn't! Shocked

Upon the cam break in on a stockish 1600 @ 19:43 minute. I heard the tell tell sound of a rod bearing giving up the ghost. Embarassed
I haven't torn it apart. Yet. Just a little bummed at my stupid ignorance.

Carry on.

Follow up to my post.
So after a tear down. I found the issue. The rod wasn't falling freely because it wasn't torqued correctly.
I opened the case and it was right there to see. Embarassed

Funny thing is, the bearing looked good to go.

So I reinstalled the rod torqued the rod too. And built the engine back up.
Runs great! Very Happy

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUMBEST things you've found done to engines Reply with quote

Are those metal shavings?

Anyways, I found another surprise.

If the lobes on your cam look like this, punch the PO right in the fucking face. PO said he just had the cam replaced 10k miles ago. Yeah sure. Looks like the entire front face of my car is comming off. Not angry, just finding lots of surprises.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUMBEST things you've found done to engines Reply with quote

Not metal shavings. Just a little dust.

It'll be fine for a backup engine.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUMBEST things you've found done to engines Reply with quote

For those wondering what service mode on a b5 passat looks like...

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUMBEST things you've found done to engines Reply with quote

Psst, “service mode” means that special, longer bolts were installed so that the core support slid forward while being held up by said bolts, not dangling off the hoses & harness.

I did that shit once & never did it again, I have replaced a thousand or more t-belt/water pumps on Passat/a4/a6 without pulling that shit off.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: The DUMBEST things you've found done to engines Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

I did that shit once & never did it again, I have replaced a thousand or more t-belt/water pumps on Passat/a4/a6 without pulling that shit off.

really? i use the bolts and guides to slide it forward. i can't get in there any other way

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: The DUMBEST things you've found done to engines Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
For those wondering what service mode on a b5 passat looks like...

Wait, mine gets driven like that. Am I missing pieces?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: The DUMBEST things you've found done to engines Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

really? i use the bolts and guides to slide it forward. i can't get in there any other way

Yes sir. I just remove the pass. side auxiliary fan (leave the harness attached & lay the fan on the engine.) and pretty much do the whole job by Braille-o-vision. Since this causes you to lean over the core support, causing you to bend your elbows backwards, I turn around, sit on the bumper facing away from the car & work with my hands behind me, never looking at the car. It’s actually fairly relaxing.

I can do the whole job in about the same time as it takes to tear the front down to service mode, especially those a6 with the bolts holding the bumper cover to the fenders. And I never had to screw with trying to get all that shit lined back up (for the rest of the class, if the core support isn’t bolted on exactly as it was, this affects fit & finish of the hood, bumper cover, headlights... This works on 1.8, 2.8,2.7, 3.0, & TDI.

I did make a few special tools & some of the jobs required that I remove the center crank bolt to slip the crank pulley out, but “hey y’all, watch this”, put a long ratchet on the crank bolt (some cars require a 1/4” notch in the core support to slip the crank bolt out), brace the handle against the driver side frame horn & bump the starter. Twisted Evil

BUT, even a 20y/o NC car doesn’t have the amount of rust issues of a 2y/o northern car.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: The DUMBEST things you've found done to engines Reply with quote

wow, never even considered doing it like that. my biggest ass puckering moment is the healthy yank you have to give the bumper cover to get it to release.

never had any issues with reassembly. what does grind my gears however is the asshole that was there before me (even worse if it was a body shop) and all the hardware is in the wrong place or mismatched.

at this stage in the game there are very few of those cars (B5 platform) worth servicing up here. i plan on keeping my 01 A4 as long as i can. it was probably one of the last generation of VAG cars worth a dam.

we sold my wife's 03 jetta 1.8T 5 speed to the guy who did our hydroseeding when we built our house. sold it with 180k on it. he bought it for his kid. she had almost all highway mileage on it. i told him if he hammers it he'll pop the clutch.

just serviced it last November. 300k, original clutch, original turbo and it still hauls the mail. it's getting a little long in the tooth now, he used it to commute from CT to ME but it's still going

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUMBEST things you've found done to engines Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
This was posted buy a Samba member a few years ago.

My main question is did they install the plug backwards first and then put the plate in correctly? Or did they actually put the plate in backwards and then the drain plug after? Laughing
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: The DUMBEST things you've found done to engines Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
...what does grind my gears however is the asshole that was there before me (even worse if it was a body shop) and all the hardware is in the wrong place or mismatched.

Liquid Nails, wood screws, & Great Stuff. It fixes all body issues down here, especially those mk4 & b5 bumper covers that always get pulled off when hooked over the parking stop.Evil or Very Mad

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: The DUMBEST things you've found done to engines Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:

On my bug when I got it the carb was wired open and was pretty well Jerry rigged with a spring too. I guess they forgot the clip for the cable and the choke was broke Question

I did the spring thing once, but that was only because I broke the throttle cable on my way to work (still had to go 2 more miles).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUMBEST things you've found done to engines Reply with quote

As if on command. Laughing

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The DUMBEST things you've found done to engines Reply with quote

How the hell did you pull that off? Shocked maybe you could share? Just a lil bit? Smile or did it break? If it did break, I feel for you
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: