Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy has power, but SOMETIMES doesn't want to crank
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TallPaulVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Westy has power, but SOMETIMES doesn't want to crank Reply with quote

Have a growing issue with getting the van started. Once in a while lately (been fine till recently) the van will show full power (battery is fine) and the dash lights up nicely etc., but no starter to get it going. Even called a tow truck the other day after 2 hours of sitting around a Home Depot parking lot, only to have it start up fine when the truck got there. Embarrassing and still cost me. Very Happy Similarly last night it failed in my driveway (engine cold) but started up fine this morning. Kind of a 9/10 good starts ratio.

I've replaced the ignition switch and it had a new started installed ~2 years ago when I got it. My guess is along the lines of a wire somewhere is grounding something out ... sometimes ... and somehow moves or is effected by something that causes the intermittent failure. Don't really trust it to go on a trip anywhere out of town though with it failing "for no apparent reason" like this. 100% failure - "easy" to track down but intermittent, UGH!!

Thoughts?!
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Westy has power, but SOMETIMES doesn't want to crank Reply with quote

Automatic or Manual?
Replaced starter two years ago, could now have something wrong with it, as simple as a loose connection.
Check your main ground strap/cable that is bolted to the body and the end of your transmission. Remove and clean, or replace as necessary.

Cable connections at the battery, we recently had a post of an owner on a trip, who had a no crank issue that turned out to be a loose negative battery terminal connection. You can have a connection that will pass enough amperage to light up the dash/cluster, but not run the solenoid circuit of the starter motor.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
TallPaulVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Westy has power, but SOMETIMES doesn't want to crank Reply with quote

Automatic - should have noted that.

Great ideas. Going to check the connections on the neutral safety switch that I read from a decent Go Westy troublehshooting page.

https://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=33
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Westy has power, but SOMETIMES doesn't want to crank Reply with quote

I had something similar. The van would sometimes pause when I turned the key. It was random. It always eventually started but made me nervous. The battery seemed fine, etc. This went on for a couple years. Last winter I finally needed a new battery. It has not done it since. I can only assume it was a bad battery cell or I cleaned and tightened the battery connections better. The only change was the battery.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Westy has power, but SOMETIMES doesn't want to crank Reply with quote

Yellow Rabbit wrote:
The battery seemed fine, etc. This went on for a couple years. Last winter I finally needed a new battery. It has not done it since. I can only assume it was a bad battery cell or I cleaned and tightened the battery connections better. The only change was the battery.

Good to know. I always have the battery load tested to first rule that out. Had a similar situation on a trip that I cut shot. I bumped into VW shop with lots of vans and busses, but they said they were too busy to even give it a quick look. In the end it was simply the battery - would have been a simple mid-trip fix.

I bought a used Snap-On load tester now so I no longer have to haul the battery to the car parts place.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy has power, but SOMETIMES doesn't want to crank Reply with quote

Similar but rarely occurring symptom on my '87 manual. Switch new, battery and connections seem fine. 1 in 10 cold starts has a 1-2 second delay after key is turned to the start position. Always starts then, and the starter sounds strong. Hot starts are 100 %.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Westy has power, but SOMETIMES doesn't want to crank Reply with quote

Assuming all connections are good, it sounds like a sticking solenoid. Unfortunately they are not easily serviced. When the starter is hot, the solenoid might have better internal clearances from expansion and be more consistent. 2 years is a lifetime for a Bosch Reman. Didn’t used to be that way.
eeebee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Westy has power, but SOMETIMES doesn't want to crank Reply with quote

There is a lockout in the automatic shifter (neutral safety switch).

Wiggling the shifter around will cause it to change modes. (starting or not starting).

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=409658

1987 Vanagon Wolfsburg Special Edition
GoWesty 2.3

Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: