Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Proper adhesive for black poptop edge trim?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
deaddrift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Proper adhesive for black poptop edge trim? Reply with quote

It seems my replacement black rubber poptop trim needs to get a grip. When I raised the top this weekend it peeled off front to rear all the way down one side. The other side is starting to go too.

What adhesive is recommended for this application? Hoping not to repeat the PO's mistake.

Thanks!

'91 syncro Westfalia, 2nd and 4th owner

Ò,ó
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper adhesive for black poptop edge trim? Reply with quote

I don't recall using any adhesive on that seal - the metal portion made a tight grip that has held for the last 20 or 25 years.

Has the inner metal possibly spread a bit?
sagebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper adhesive for black poptop edge trim? Reply with quote

I replaced one on an 1977 bay window bus that the PO had used black silicone, seemed to hold pretty well considering how worn the seal was. I pulled it off and replaced it. The silicone was a pain to get off. The new seals have clips in them that i didnt see because of all the black silicone.New one pushed right on, no sealant needed. Mine do kind of stick to the van some times when i havent opened it in a while. Just keep the seal clean and use a little rubber/vinyl conditioner every now and then. I have had mine on nearly twenty years now. The one i replaced on my vanagon the little metal clips inside had rusted away and had no grip.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Proper adhesive for black poptop edge trim? Reply with quote

Yep, the metal reinforcement inside loses its strength. From rusting through and filling with crap that keeps it from gripping too. Sometimes cleaning it out and re crimping it a little before putting it back on helps.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Proper adhesive for black poptop edge trim? Reply with quote

deaddrift wrote:
It seems my replacement black rubber poptop trim needs to get a grip. When I raised the top this weekend it peeled off front to rear all the way down one side. The other side is starting to go too.

What adhesive is recommended for this application? Hoping not to repeat the PO's mistake.

Thanks!

So this is a replacement seal as in, you recently (in the last five years or so) bought a replacement from one of our vendors, installed it securely (perhaps using a rubber mallet to send it home) and it's now separating from the top?

GW doesn't recommend an adhesive for that seal but they recommend contact cement for the front seal.

Whatever you do (as has been said), don't use silicone. Back in 1997 I used silicone to secure the original seal (that had rusted and should have been replaced) with silicone and I could see the smear on the top until I sold the van in 2014. It always reminded me of a job poorly done. Contact cement usually comes off more easily.

Link

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Proper adhesive for black poptop edge trim? Reply with quote

If I were to use adhesive I'd use 3m yellow super weather strip adhesive.
deaddrift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Proper adhesive for black poptop edge trim? Reply with quote

Yes, jimf909, I believe the roof seal is an aftermarket product. It was installed by the PO (previous owner) and it is falling off.

I don't think there's any metal in this rubber seal, it's as soft as a noodle (pic 1). It just falls right off. Maybe it has a bunch of individual metal U-shaped strips all along the length? Pic 2 shows what I had thought was adhesive residue, but since it rubs right off I'm thinking not, now.

It appears that maybe the PO didn't use any adhesive. What I thought was residue seems to be just dirt. I'm surprised to read that no adhesive is indicated, it seems pretty obvious to me that the seal won't stay in place without it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: welp, now that I watched the video, that looks like my seal. But it sure don't wanna stay in place. I guess I'll clean the roof edge and try to gently crimp the metal tighter with some pliers?

Ò,ó
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Proper adhesive for black poptop edge trim? Reply with quote

My original seal's clips rusted and failed. The replacement I got (from JCWhitney!) had aluminum clips and has held well.
deaddrift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper adhesive for black poptop edge trim? Reply with quote

Yep metal clips, crimped them with some small channel lock pliers, pressed on, and seated with a mallet, seems pretty solid.

Thanks for the advice, I would not have guessed it was a pinch fit and it's so much easier and cleaner this way.

Ò,ó
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: