Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AC clutch and radiator fan engage, but fan in headbanger doesn't
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:24 pm    Post subject: AC clutch and radiator fan engage, but fan in headbanger doesn't Reply with quote

Tried to fire up the AC after a long hiatus and was suprised that the fan in the headbanger didn’t come on, the fuses behind the westy cabinet all look good, what’s the next place to check?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: AC clutch and radiator fan engages but fan in headbanger doesnt Reply with quote

I have this EXACT same issue. Prior to vacuuming my system the fans would all turn on, but post that, I can't get the blower fan to turn on and my fuses are all golden. It's driving me NUTSO because all I was trying to do was recharge my system (that's a separate annoyance!)
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: AC clutch and radiator fan engages but fan in headbanger doesnt Reply with quote

ProspectiveOwnergon wrote:
I have this EXACT same issue. Prior to vacuuming my system the fans would all turn on, but post that, I can't get the blower fan to turn on and my fuses are all golden. It's driving me NUTSO because all I was trying to do was recharge my system (that's a separate annoyance!)

I'd check the wiring to the fan resistors in the headbanger. I believe you can get access to them from the front of the headbanger. Maybe you knocked the wires off or broke the resistors. They are about the size of your thumb.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: AC clutch and radiator fan engages but fan in headbanger doesnt Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

I'd check the wiring to the fan resistors in the headbanger. I believe you can get access to them from the front of the headbanger. Maybe you knocked the wires off or broke the resistors. They are about the size of your thumb.

I DID fix the two brackets that hold it to the roof so my hands were in there pushing things around. Do you happen to have pictures/schematics for it that I can reference?
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: AC clutch and radiator fan engages but fan in headbanger doesnt Reply with quote

I bypassed the resistors and installed a PWM variable speed switch. We love it! And no more resistors and gobbling up all the power to just waste as heat.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=738697&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: AC clutch and radiator fan engages but fan in headbanger doesnt Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

I DID fix the two brackets that hold it to the roof so my hands were in there pushing things around. Do you happen to have pictures/schematics for it that I can reference?

here is a pic from the gallery. There are two resistors, one on the other side of the fan too.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: AC clutch and radiator fan engages but fan in headbanger doesnt Reply with quote

Mine is fully encased in plastic. 1990 camper.

https://imgur.com/a/kfjheJM
ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: AC clutch and radiator fan engage, but fan in headbanger doesn't Reply with quote

To OP, here is the pages of note in Bentley. 87.4-5

Middle relay is for the evap fans (171 937 503) and the two fuses are for each fan. Measure voltage to see if relay is kicking on maybe?
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: AC clutch and radiator fan engage, but fan in headbanger doesn't Reply with quote

I don't see what year you have! Are you saying none of the four speeds work? There are multiple versions of the A/C harness and diagrams.
You say the fuses "look" good, but did you test them? What were the results. Speeds 1 & 2 do not have relays. Speed 3 uses the combination relay while Speed 4 has its' own relay. The common denominator is the fan switch and the 2 20amp fuses.
Come back with more information.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: