Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 84 Westy hit 200 hundred thousand miles today !
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: My 84 Westy hit 200 hundred thousand miles today ! Reply with quote

Yay!!! my 84 westy hit the 200 thousand mile mark today and she still runs like a top !!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My 84 Westy hit 200 hundred thousand miles today ! Reply with quote

I don't think you got the memo, 'cause these vans are unreliable and failure prone. 200k is absurd and a total fabrication. Fake news

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My 84 Westy hit 200 hundred thousand miles today ! Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I don't think you got the memo, 'cause these vans are unreliable and failure prone. 200k is absurd and a total fabrication. Fake news

Sadly these things were unreliable when new but happily respond very well to being rebuilt and having defective OEM parts replaced with improved parts from Go West, RMW, Vanagain, and others.

Last edited by Wildthings on Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Krumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My 84 Westy hit 200 hundred thousand miles today ! Reply with quote

Of course they are failure prone and unreliable. That’s why I have replaced just about everything over the time I’ve owned it. Some things more than once. But I still love it and it makes me money so all is good
Mahalo
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My 84 Westy hit 200 hundred thousand miles today ! Reply with quote

Ironic post. My '90 will roll over to 200K in 43-ish more miles. Odometer broke years ago so I won't be able snap a pic of the milestone. Sad

Congrats! Very Happy
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My 84 Westy hit 200 hundred thousand miles today ! Reply with quote

I've owned four of these going back over thirty years, and I think all made it past 200k. Unreliable and failure prone has not been my experience in the least. The memo is strong here on the Samba, but not out here in reality.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My 84 Westy hit 200 hundred thousand miles today ! Reply with quote

I can only assume it spent some of it's life somewhere other than Maui.

My other car (now 56 years old) was on Maui for its first 36 years. The original owner lived in Kula and said he only drove it every Saturday night to go bowling in Kahului. Rather low miles when it came to me.
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My 84 Westy hit 200 hundred thousand miles today ! Reply with quote

My imported Syncro has about 90,000 miles on it, while the motor in it (taken from my old trusty '90GL) has about 240,000 miles on it. So averaging it out would make my van at around 165k.
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: My 84 Westy hit 200 hundred thousand miles today ! Reply with quote

my 84 joker just hit 170,000 km so just breaking in Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My 84 Westy hit 200 hundred thousand miles today ! Reply with quote

Well, my Westy made it almost 200K on the original wasserleaker which is very good here in the heat. Tranny made it almost 250K, and would have gone on a ways, but it *really* needed rebuilt with the main bearing retention plate added and I didn't want to waste the case. Now with a new AVH engine, and rebuilt tranny, with the oiling plates and other goodies, it'll outlast me almost assuredly (not necessarily a good thing...).

They are temperamental beasts, and seem to always want *something* done to them, but I've been hooked for >30 years, and can't even imagine not having one to drive. I'd love to have Leno's garage, but if I have to settle for only two vehicles, it's gotta be whatever the wife wants to drive, and my Westy. Sure I'm nuts, but so what?
stuzbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My 84 Westy hit 200 hundred thousand miles today ! Reply with quote

Congratulations.

Krumby wrote:
... That’s why I have replaced just about everything over the time I’ve owned it. Some things more than once...

What, this side of the pond we call a "Trigger's Broom"

Link

1992 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
1993 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
1992 VW T3 1,6TD Syncro [SOLD]
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My 84 Westy hit 200 hundred thousand miles today ! Reply with quote

So, that's the stuff what they call British humor, eh? I've heard 'bout it.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
dhesq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My 84 Westy hit 200 hundred thousand miles today ! Reply with quote

Did ya put all 200k on it?

What does this even mean?
More right to ownership ... wtf? Confused
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My 84 Westy hit 200 hundred thousand miles today ! Reply with quote

Dang that is a lot of driving on Maui. Cool

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Krumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My 84 Westy hit 200 hundred thousand miles today ! Reply with quote

You would be surprised how much we drive here. I put well over 10,000 miles closer to 15,000 here, Chasing waves all over the island. Camping etc. I also rent the westy out to help pay for my parts habit. That’s been shut off completely since the covid.
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My 84 Westy hit 200 hundred thousand miles today ! Reply with quote

1987, 424K
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: