Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ive tried everything to fix acceleration stumble.....
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
21golden007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject: Ive tried everything to fix acceleration stumble..... Reply with quote

Its had the same problem since i bought it a couple months ago. Idles fine, revs up fine when in neutral even if i hammer on the gas, but when i go to take off at low rpm from any gear, it stumbles to the point of almost dying and i have to really work through it. Isn't it odd how it only does it under load and not in neutral?

ive tried the below-

3 different carb setups- stock, single HPMX off another bug, and Dual hpmx's. it has the same problem with all of them even after trying different carb adjustments and accelerator pump adjustments

a bosch 009 distributor and a pertronix 009 style with electronic ignition. no difference.

a bosch ignition coil and flamethrower ignition coil, no difference,

multiple timing setups from 5 btdc to 15 btdc at idle. no difference

adjusted valves, no difference

tested for carb air leaks using spray test and cover inlet up test, no problem there

checked fuel pressure. Its around 3 psi for duals, no problem there

shored up any exhaust leaks

replaced spark plugs and wires

I finally checked compression probably later than i should have and every cylinder is right around 100, which seems low. Would this cause a stalling out/hesitation problem under load? I wouldn't think so but I am at a loss. I feel like I've tried everything.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Ive tried everything to fix acceleration stumble..... Reply with quote

Were the distributors both electronic, or were you able to try with points?

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
21golden007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Ive tried everything to fix acceleration stumble..... Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Were the distributors both electronic, or were you able to try with points?
one was a bosch 009 with points
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Ive tried everything to fix acceleration stumble..... Reply with quote

The 009 is known for a large flat spot at acceleration. Get a vacuum assisted advance distributor. You also would benefit from weight advancing to. I have a clone 034 distributor with electronic ignition. I love it! It Has worked great back when I was running a 30PICT-something, and then again with the dual 44 Webers!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Ive tried everything to fix acceleration stumble..... Reply with quote

Agree with the above which Jimbo said. The 009 is likely a large contributor(if not the entire) to the stumbling off acceleration from a stop.

I had a mechanical-advance-only distributor on my beetle when I bought it. Got a proper distributor with mechanical and vacuum advance and the car pulls strong from a stop, even on the hills.

I personally have a restored Bosch distributor, but many (Jimbo included) have good luck with the SVDA 034 clones. Your choice

Restored distributors available from these guys:
Both these guys do lovely work:
Bill (wcfvw69)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=wcfvw69

Glenn
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=Glenn

Or the new 034 clones are available pretty much everywhere. Usually the pertronix brand is what you'll find.

Also, you have to match your carb to your distributor for best performance in these little engines.Check out the charts in Andy's thread here for info on matching it up:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=185095
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Chadabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Ive tried everything to fix acceleration stumble..... Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=340069&highlight=dvda
21golden007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Ive tried everything to fix acceleration stumble..... Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
The 009 is known for a large flat spot at acceleration. Get a vacuum assisted advance distributor. You also would benefit from weight advancing to. I have a clone 034 distributor with electronic ignition. I love it! It Has worked great back when I was running a 30PICT-something, and then again with the dual 44 Webers!

Im fairly new to this but when I think hesitation or flat spot, that sounds like just a delay of acceleration. Whats happening to me is a flat out bog down/stall out if i hammer it and i have to let up on the gas to get it back going again. Would the 009 be causing that?
21golden007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Ive tried everything to fix acceleration stumble..... Reply with quote

Also, Wouldn't the 009 hesitation/flat spot be occurring in neutral as well when hammering on the gas? My issue only happens when moving coming out of low RPM.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Ive tried everything to fix acceleration stumble..... Reply with quote

You do not static time an 009. Set the 009 timing to 32° btdc with a strobe timing light. Ignore where it lands at idle. If it pings under load, retard the timing a degree or two.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Ive tried everything to fix acceleration stumble..... Reply with quote

If you have tried 15* btdc initial I think you have eliminated the ign timing as the problem. Usually a flat spot off idle is due to inadequate pump shot whether it's a late delivery of the pump shot or just not enough pump shot due to too small pump shooter orifices. The load doesn't last long when hitting the throttle in neutral so the motor can catch up easy as to compared with pulling off from low rpm.

I would do a leakdown test next. See if you have lots of blowby or leaky valves. These play havoc with transitions. I would also check valve lift in today's world of junk parts.
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Ive tried everything to fix acceleration stumble..... Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
You do not static time an 009. Set the 009 timing to 32° btdc with a strobe timing light. Ignore where it lands at idle. If it pings under load, retard the timing a degree or two.

Experimenting with initial timing is a great diagnostic tool. The OP is doing a good job.
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Ive tried everything to fix acceleration stumble..... Reply with quote

I think its important to know what carburetor you currently have on the motor. Also, 009 distributors are timed by total advance, 30 to 32, no more than 32. Have you checked that the distributor is in fact advancing? Checked for vaccuum leaks, check the accelerator pump?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Ive tried everything to fix acceleration stumble..... Reply with quote

Found a nice thread that compares the advance curves of different distributors:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=640208

Here are two pics from that thread to compare the curve of a 009 (single spring) and the 034 SVDA distributor.
Find the 009 line (gold) in this pic:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Compare to this 034 (SVDA) curve:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Both distributors are initially timed at 7BTDC. Below are the realized ignition timing at different rpms...
    At 1000rpm:
    009 = 10BTDC
    034 = 7BTDC

At 1250rpm:
    009 = 11BTDC
    034 = 17BTDC (7deg + 2deg mechanical + 8deg vacuum)

At 1500rpm:
    009 = 12BTDC
    034 = 29BTDC (7deg + 4deg mechanical + 18deg vacuum)

At 2000rpm:
    009 = 18BTDC
    034 = 35.5BTDC (7deg + 7deg mechanical + 21.5deg vacuum)

You can see that once you get to more than 1000rpm the SVDA distributor is quickly increasing the ignition timing much faster than the mechanical-only 009. This increased ignition timing appears as more "seat of pants" power from the engine (all else being equal). The 009 curve is basically a straight line that increases as rpms increase. This means at speeds just off idle there is very little additional ignition timing. But look at the way the vacuum advance line spikes just as the throttle is opened from idle/closed position. This ignition timing spike counters the bog you feel with the 009.

If you have a stock 34Pict-3 carb, marry it with an SVDA distributor and you should see good acceleration from a stop.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
21golden007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Ive tried everything to fix acceleration stumble..... Reply with quote

I appreciate the slew of responses. I think next step is picking up a timing light from NAPA this afternoon.

Joemamma, I currently have the dual 40 HPMX's on which I know is not ideal as the setup is probably hardest to tune out of them all, but thats what I would like to stick with going forward. Ive done best lean idle procedure and synchronized them. The fact that the same problem seems to persist with 3 different carb setups makes me think its not the issue but ive been throwing my hands up in the air for two weeks now so... I will say that even though the issues exists among the three carb setups, the stock carb ran the worst out of them all (maybe due to lack of vacuume advance?). At times it would refuse to accelerate at all, just sputter sputter sputter. With the HPMX (single and dual setups) it'll at least take off at slow acceleration.

I do understand from research that the SVDA is the way to go, but I also know 009 is so common that the level of studder/hesitiaton/flatspot that i have just cant be normal 009 or not...
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Ive tried everything to fix acceleration stumble..... Reply with quote

This is a very common issue with dual port enginges equipped with the 009 distributor. You have two choices on how to address the low rpm stumble problem: either replace the distributor with one that has a vacuum advance, or install larger idle jets. Be aware that while the larger idle jets will fix the stumbling problem, they'll also increase your fuel consumption.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Ive tried everything to fix acceleration stumble..... Reply with quote

I'm just shaking my head. All this advise without knowing anything about engine size or details.

Your problem may be because your heads are too big, maybe your cam is too big, or maybe your exhaust is too big or maybe all 3.

Give us as many details about the engine you can.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Ive tried everything to fix acceleration stumble..... Reply with quote

21golden007 wrote:
Also, Wouldn't the 009 hesitation/flat spot be occurring in neutral as well when hammering on the gas? My issue only happens when moving coming out of low RPM.

You typically see the 009 hesitation under load. Starting from a stop or accelerating from a cruise puts a load on the engine. Idling in the driveway the engine will rev normally and respond to the throttle because there is no load.
The 009 timing advance only increases in response to engine rpm changes. There is very little engine rpm change as you try to accelerate so there is little additional ignition timing.

I agree with vwracerdave above that more info on your engine would help. You seem to have a variety of carbs to use with your engine. Not all combos work well. The once constant is the engine/cam and the ignition timing curve from two different 009 distributors. While the curves may be slightly different they will both be linear and only increase with rpms... that is just the nature of mechanical advance distributors. The only difference is the speed that the timing increases to max.

Here is a test for you... this is only a test and you should not be driving around like this...
With your new timing light set the idle timing to 15BTDC. This is very high and could take you into detonation at higher rpms under a load. But we are not going into the higher rpms under load.
With your carbs tuned to idle around 1000rpm with 15BTDC if timing... take the car for a ride around the block Try to keep your rpms below 3000. You are just getting a feel for extra ignition timing at low rpms. I think you will find it accelerates how you expect it to. This indicates your engine likes more ignition timing off idle.
This is what the SVDA will provide when connected to ported vacuum. Note that the SVDA should be connected to ported vacuum which sees zero vacuum at idle and spikes the vacuum just as the throttle places start to open. You do not really want to connect an SVDA to intake vacuum as it will see full vacuum at idle and you won't get the curve pictured above. Not all carbs have a ported vacuum port.

The other way you can approach this... for aftermarket performance carbs like your HPMXs... dump fuel from the accelerator pumps into the carb throats. The accelerator pumps must squirt the instant the throttle butterflies open. When the throttle plate opens, air rushes in causing the air-fuel mixture to go lean. The carb compensates by squirting raw fuel from the accelerator pump nozzles and flowing more fuel from the progression circuits. Increase the pump adjustment or the nozzle size and see if that makes any difference.

One other point to consider is intake heating. VW ran exhaust gases along the bottom of the center mounted carb intake to prvent the intake from chilling the air-fuel and having fuel condensate out of the air-fuel flow. If your carb arrangements do not have heat you likely have liquid fuel pooling in the center intake. This means a lean mixture reaching the cylinders.
This is not usually a problem with dual carbs as they have such short intakes sitting right over the (hot) heads.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ive tried everything to fix acceleration stumble..... Reply with quote

I have a stock SP 1585 that had a bad off idle flat spot. Increasing the main jet size fixed it. The stumble is there with either an 009 or a 205T SVA distributor. It’s also there with either an H30/31 or 30 PICT 2 carburetor. It was “less bad” with the SVA but still not acceptable. The only thing in my case that cured it is increasing the main jet to a 130. I’m at sea level with 10% ethanol on a bone stock motor (except it’s now a 1600 not a 1500). I static time at ~3deg BTDC. I also need a top end rebuild (low compression, blow by).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
21golden007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ive tried everything to fix acceleration stumble..... Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
I'm just shaking my head. All this advise without knowing anything about engine size or details.

Your problem may be because your heads are too big, maybe your cam is too big, or maybe your exhaust is too big or maybe all 3.

Give us as many details about the engine you can.

its a 1600 DP......I think? to be honest im just assuming its a 1600 as that's what I was told but the guy I bought it from wasn't exactly knowledgeable. It's an AE model number which matches up. I guess thats something I should check too. I assume removing the heads and measuring is the only way to do so. If its a larger engine than what I realize maybe its being choked down
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ive tried everything to fix acceleration stumble..... Reply with quote

frenchroast wrote:
I have a stock SP 1585 that had a bad off idle flat spot. Increasing the main jet size fixed it. The stumble is there with either an 009 or a 205T SVA distributor. It’s also there with either an H30/31 or 30 PICT 2 carburetor. It was “less bad” with the SVA but still not acceptable. The only thing in my case that cured it is increasing the main jet to a 130. I’m at sea level with 10% ethanol on a bone stock motor (except it’s now a 1600 not a 1500). I static time at ~3deg BTDC. I also need a top end rebuild (low compression, blow by).

Sounds like your issue was caused by running too lean due to the low vaccum from your worn engine. This would account for why you need the larger main and why the SVA had issues as well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: