Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Driveway Monstrosity
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richard123vmt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Driveway Monstrosity Reply with quote

I freaked out when I saw this headless thing. It is even weirder than it looks. What I take to be the tail seems to have boring teeth like a tunnel machine.
The reason I was freaked was because I had never seen anything like it. On my land there are a supply a tiny lizards which are like grass hoppers in their behavior and occasionally something a little bigger but a conventional lizard. This thing looks like a baby alligator.
I soon realized what happened. A buzzard dropped it. Weird delicacy it may be, but the buzzards are in the know where to find such merchandise. Maybe it was a lake creature. A creature out of place with its environment takes on a note of horror. Maybe the buzzard was giving it to me as a gift. I have noticed the two of them lately--which is unusual. Usually I only see them high in the sky. Well, I can't agree with buzzard tastes.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Driveway Monstrosity Reply with quote

dang! you really did a number on that thing!! what it is? I don't know, but someone else may...
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Driveway Monstrosity Reply with quote

Southern alligator lizard?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_alligator_lizard

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Driveway Monstrosity Reply with quote

richard123vmt wrote:

YOU KILLED BAMBI !!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Driveway Monstrosity Reply with quote

Looks like what I used to call a "Blue Belly Lizard." Back when I lived in the state anyway.
I think SB001 hit the mark on what it is.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Driveway Monstrosity Reply with quote

Probably tastes like shrimp .
Barbie q it up let is know.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Driveway Monstrosity Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Southern alligator lizard?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_alligator_lizard

X2, that's it.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Driveway Monstrosity Reply with quote

down hear we just call those skinks. they range in color and size.some well over a foot long&2" in dia. I saw one last month that had a bright chevy orange head, almost like it was spray painted like that, probably just a male in season looking for a few seasonal feemales. I have a few thousand lizards in my yard, along with frogs,skinks,snakes , gecko'sand leggless lizzards.also micro snakes, those little suckers are so awesome and tiny.the past 3 weeks they are all hatching from their eggs.3/4" long lizards almost everywhere. I have 2 or 3 skinks that sit and watch me work, one came into the shop with me for about a hour and just watched. we have recently got some godzilla lizzards around hear,I hope they dont eat the others.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Driveway Monstrosity Reply with quote

Here skinks are a different lizard... I catch them in or around our swimming pool... they slither like a snake, hardly using their stubby legs. Beautiful creatures.

We used to catch the occasional alligator lizard on a nearby hill while we were looking for regular western fence lizards we would catch and release. Prize (bragging rights) if we caught an alligator lizard, or even a rarer horned toad (which as kids we called horny toads without knowing the joke). The latter are gone from the area... I think they are protected now.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Driveway Monstrosity Reply with quote

I saw some Horned Toads on Mt. Lemon in Tucson a bunch of years ago while on a day hike there. The young ones are almost white and about the size of a nickle.

56 years ago. A 4yo boy in California found the Horned Toad his dad brought home. That boy put the toad in his pocket and inadvertently damaged the toad beyond repair.
His mom found it dead. Shocked When going through that little boys pockets before tossing the pants in the laundry.
56 years later. My mother still talks about that day. Laughing

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Driveway Monstrosity Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
down hear we just call those skinks. they range in color and size.some well over a foot long&2" in dia. I saw one last month that had a bright chevy orange head, almost like it was spray painted like that, probably just a male in season looking for a few seasonal feemales. I have a few thousand lizards in my yard, along with frogs,skinks,snakes , gecko'sand leggless lizzards.also micro snakes, those little suckers are so awesome and tiny.the past 3 weeks they are all hatching from their eggs.3/4" long lizards almost everywhere. I have 2 or 3 skinks that sit and watch me work, one came into the shop with me for about a hour and just watched. we have recently got some godzilla lizzards around hear,I hope they dont eat the others.

You are in Shalimar...near Ft. Walton right?

If you are seeing the orange/coral pink colored lizards...and large...like 1-2 feet....and they have not always been around.....those are probably "mixed" lizards ...and are cross bred from the damn iguanas that have infested South Florida (Miami and Fort Liquordale area for sure).

They literally blew into Florida with the tidal surge on one of the hurricanes like 10-12 years ago or more. Since they can grow upwards to five feet long (tip to tail)....but are commonly 2-3 feet long....and they eat everything and are driving out all other wildlife....they have become a dominant pest species in South Florida.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/features/fl-reg-south...story.html

Yes...I realize you are in the the panhandle....but if the oversized, bright, fast lizards have been around only for the last 7-8 years....bet they migrated from South Florida. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Driveway Monstrosity Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
They literally blew into Florida with the tidal surge on one of the hurricanes like 10-12 years ago or more.

I have lived i S.Fla. since 1972, my folks dragged me here when I was 9. Iguanas loose in this area are a result of irresponsible pet owners not realizing iguanas got too big to keep. No one would take them and they were released into the wild. The Sun Sentinel....meh. Soooooo......we have Nile monitors in Palm Beach where I live. One was just in my neighbors patio. The local cats have been disappearing. Shocked
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Driveway Monstrosity Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
They literally blew into Florida with the tidal surge on one of the hurricanes like 10-12 years ago or more.

I have lived i S.Fla. since 1972, my folks dragged me here when I was 9. Iguanas loose in this area are a result of irresponsible pet owners not realizing iguanas got too big to keep. No one would take them and they were released into the wild. The Sun Sentinel....meh. Soooooo......we have Nile monitors in Palm Beach where I live. One was just in my neighbors patio. The local cats have been disappearing. Shocked

Actually yes there have always been "some iguanas in Florida......however it GREATLY increased and are more than one breed now.

They blew into three states on debris brought in by the storm. Its been well documented. I have literally thousands of pictures of them. I had been going to Lauderdale area for a symposium for a week every year for a decade. Same symposium, same hotel on the canal. One year no lizards...storm comes.....next year they are everywhere.

The Sun Sentinel was just the first article I pulled up. Agree they are not "prime" news.

And in fact....the iguanas you are speaking of have been in Florida all of my life too. They are the green iguana. I used to have one for a pet (name was Zeke).

And yes..they get big when food is unlimited....but the population boomed from one notable point forward.

Part of it they say is climate change making more warm weather with less period below 40 F. However....the biggest point was that an unnatural spike in population size made them so dominant within one season that the few natural predators that kept their numbers down...were not enough.

Ray
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Driveway Monstrosity Reply with quote

Back in 1989 a visit to Cozumel revealed rather large iguanas everywhere, they appeared to be as common as squirrels here. On a trip back there 10 years ago they are gone. I asked one of the locals and he said two hurricanes and people cooking and eating them decimated the population. VWs had also mostly disappeared, in 1989 you could rent new one from Avis, we did😀
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: