Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Official 1964 Bug Registry
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: The Official 1964 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Moderator note *Yes, I know there was a 64-65 registry started a year ago but it didn’t take off. I think the 64 and 65 deserve separate registry’s since there are many differences.

One of my goals for this thread is to help document all the special and unique parts of the 64 model year along with the cars. The 64 year had many changes that were the first, last, and one year only parts or styles.

The list below is for the type 113, 114, 117 and 118 deluxe models. 113 is LHD Deluxe, 114 is the RHD Deluxe, 117 is the LHD Deluxe with sunroof, 118 is the RHD Deluxe with sunroof.

So here is a list of changes and additions from the 63 year
-first year for the retractable metal sunroof that cranked back into the roof
-Revised deck lid with a larger license plate light (note: I had two 64 only deck lids and the license plate light was a couple mm wider than the other and the bolts were slightly differently spaced, the part numbers were the same though, another possible change mid year?)
-New style headliner where the main piece now extends out to the window versus the previous separate pieces for that, likely to accommodate for the new sunroof.
-one year only rear heater vent outlets with the hand operated flap (I forget if they were introduced in late 63?)
-One year only seat vinyl pattern (originaly)
-one year only rear interior panels, no piping and the wider grain vinyl.

During/Mid year changes
-Peanut style front turn signal were replaced early in the year with the bigger front turn signals with amber lens and new fender mounting location for the turn signal. Most likely using left over parts from 63, you only see a few once in a while.
-Both door handles now lock from the outside.
-new door lock mechanism.

Parts that went away or changed with the 65 year
-All windows were enlarged for better visibility
-new style doors with a completely new stamping
-new door window mechanicanism
-new style vent window (now and assembly) and door windows
-new headlight switch
-new wiper assembly now a different length
-chassis has been revised and the twist know for the heaters is removed and is replaced with a lever to control the heater boxes next to the e-brake.
-rear heater flaps are now controlled by a lever next to the e-brake and no longer control at the flaps
-new style deck lid with the lower reinforcement panel removed from it and the t-handle is replaced with a push button
-new thermostat control system, the previous throttle/ velocity ring is now replaced by control flaps routed inside the fan shroud
-the oil slinger for the rear swings axels are removed and replaced with new bearing housings with weep holes.
-new front and rear wheel backing plates for the brakes, the rears have the weep holes and both have slightly different star adjuster castings
-the steering box has changed from being oil filled in the 64 model year and now in 65 uses grease
-With the change of the body, the wiring loom in rerouted from going through the roof to going along the heater channel
-the sunroof adds plastic sliders to the headliner panel to prevent it from getting dirty. The sunroof panel also has a bow for the headliner panel.
-seat belt mounting holes (headliner screws) reduced in size and there is no more need for adapter pieces for seat belts. The shoulder belt mounting hole was also moved from level with the bottom of the side windows to the middle of the side windows.

I think that everything Laughing Let me know anything I missed or that is incorrect
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop

Last edited by Ceckert64 on Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:49 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 bug registry Reply with quote

I wanted to get that posted since I currently have spotty internet and didn’t want it to crash Laughing

Posting your cars:
Month, model, options and other special important things. Maybe even a bio/ story of your car, when you got it, how long you’ve had it, etc.

To start, I got my 64 Sunroof five years ago for $750 and it was painted like Herbie. The floors were fiberglass’s over and it had major issues and no title, but I was eleven and I was excited for it still. I got it running the first day I had it. It still has the original engine but has a later transmission. Here is it now
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Then

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 bug registry Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
... but I was eleven and I was excited for it still...

You got a Beetle when you were 11? That's ambition!
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
arizonabuckeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 bug registry Reply with quote

I have a 64' Ragtop - Yes factory ragtop. I believe it is a Canadian Standard (I think is what it was called). Chassis and pan numbers match and put it in the 1964 production run. It been a long term project and I have a bunch of pictures in my gallery.

Love that we are starting a 64-65 registery!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 bug registry Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:
Ceckert64 wrote:
... but I was eleven and I was excited for it still...

You got a Beetle when you were 11? That's ambition!

got mine when i was 12. 400 bucks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 bug registry Reply with quote

Dom't remember a lot,but my flaps called it a 64 1/2. Sold back around 1990 for $200. I was rear ended on my way to work ,where I drove a snow plow.

matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 bug registry Reply with quote

I always believed the 64 had unique sunroof crank handle and scratch guard and some of the sunroof mech parts.

The guard was more triangular shaped than the later ones. Seen here.

Later ones seen here

The cable guides and covers also seemed to change as some point. My 64 was unmolested when i re-did it 30 years ago and I remember parts that exactly match what i found on my bug in the sunroof area were hard to find.

The other curious thing was seat belts. Not sure when they became standard but my 64 had inner and shoulder factory seat belt mounts but no outer. Both sides missing. Thought maybe that was new for 64 and my bug was using left over 63 parts??? That always puzzled me.

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 bug registry Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
I always believed the 64 had unique sunroof crank handle and scratch guard and some of the sunroof mech parts.

The guard was more triangular shaped than the later ones. Seen here.

The cable guides and covers also seemed to change as some point. My 64 was unmolested when i re-did it 30 years ago and I remember parts that exactly match what i found on my bug in the sunroof area were hard to find.

The other curious thing was seat belts. Not sure when they became standard but my 64 had inner and shoulder factory seat belt mounts but no outer. Both sides missing. Thought maybe that was new for 64 and my bug was using left over 63 parts??? That always puzzled me.

My 65 parts car had the trianglular, wasn’t sure if mine was of not since it had lots of later parts.

I completely forgot seat belts, thanks! Mine had an adapter plug there. That would be interesting to dig into the seat belt. In Michigan, all car 1965+ must have seat belts, so likely it was required.

It seems like this is taking off! The 64 ragtop is cool! I assume left over rags and the just used them up on some of the standard cars Question
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 bug registry Reply with quote

This should be valuable to ad, the 22 mile 64. Amazing reference for details. Here’s a link to the thread for more pics https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=657206
Bala wrote:
From Facebook.

Note the headliner plugs/ mounts for seat belts. The headliner also shows the new style. Note the seat covers are ribbed on the top like the door panels.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 bug registry Reply with quote

My old Oct 63 bug. Still had the peanut front turn signals and the small license plate light. It is a 3 month only lid with the later straight pressing with no 'semi W' past the light and the small bolt pattern light housing.

blitz64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 bug registry Reply with quote

My 1964 sunroof that my grandfather bought in 1964 (European delivery to a US service member)...date of manufacture July 1963...I’ve had it for 30 years...original headliner and original seat covers completely intact...unfortunately I had a different rebuilt motor replacement installed in 1991...126,000 miles had 99,000 when I bought it from my grandmother in 1990...
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 bug registry Reply with quote

Nice! Any others want to add their 64s?
Gerb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 bug registry Reply with quote

Here's my 1964 beetle - a ruby red (more or less) that I picked up this spring. It's fairly original, including some major heater channel and floor pan rust.

From what I've been able to determine, it's a late 64 car, purchased in Kalamazoo, MI, and has been in the southern MI area all it's life (which likely explains the rust.)

It came with the original owner's last proof of insurance, registration, and matching license plates from 1973, the last time he had it on the road, though other owners have registered it from 2008 to present.

Included in the glove box was a log of gas station trips, with the gallons and odometer reading, though dates were rarely included. The log did list a speedometer change, which may explain the 3.68 dated speedometer that's in the car.

I found a granddaughter of the original owner on facebook and we messaged a few weeks ago. She had very fond memories of the car, including the times her siblings and her played like they were driving it while it was in grandpa's barn.

'64 Ruby Red Deluxe Beetle
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 bug registry Reply with quote

Wow, that’s cool! Documentation is always great to find. It even has original seat covers! I would love to see some more interior pics! Do you ever take it to VW shows? I would be interested to see it.
Gerb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 bug registry Reply with quote

Unfortunately, it's not road ready yet. The only working brakes are the ebrakes. There's also a few other things I need to get fixed before the road (like the hole in the left front floor, lol.)

Here's a couple more interior shots. Yes, the seat covers are original, but they're in rough shape. I need to pull it out and begin cleaning the interior for better shots.

matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 bug registry Reply with quote

Gerb, Nice original interior. Mine rear seat is nice but fronts are a wreck.

Some Q's.

- Can you post some more images of the seat covers?
- Also on your headliner is it a mix of painted dots and holes or all holes? Where is what?
- Is the rear window headliner panel one piece or two? Is it sewn (upper to lower) around the window or are the seams in the lower corners glued? If glued which panel is on top?

Thank you.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 bug registry Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
Moderator note *Yes, I know there was a 64-65 registry started a year ago but it didn’t take off. I think the 64 and 65 deserve separate registry’s since there are many differences.

One of my goals for this thread is to help document all the special and unique parts of the 64 model year along with the cars. The 64 year had many changes that were the first, last, and one year only parts or styles.

-Revised deck lid with a larger license plate light (note: I had two 64 only deck lids and the license plate light was a couple mm wider than the other and the bolts were slightly differently spaced, the part numbers were the same though, another possible change mid year?)
-New style headliner where the main piece now extends out to the window versus the previous separate pieces for that, likely to accommodate for the new sunroof.
-one year only rear heater vent outlets with the hand operated flap (I forget if they were introduced in late 63?)

During/Mid year changes
-Peanut style front turn signal were replaced early in the year with the bigger front turn signals with amber lens and new fender mounting location for the turn signal. Most likely using left over parts from 63, you only see a few once in a while.

-new headlight switch
-chassis has been revised and the twist know for the heaters is removed and is replaced with a lever to control the heater boxes next to the e-brake.
-rear heater flaps are now controlled by a lever next to the e-brake and no longer control at the flaps
-new style deck lid with the lower reinforcement panel removed from it and the t-handle is replaced with a push button
-new thermostat control system, the previous throttle/ velocity ring is now replaced by control flaps routed inside the fan shroud
-the oil slinger for the rear swings axels are removed and replaced with new bearing housings with weep holes.
-new front and rear wheel backing plates for the brakes, the rears have the weep holes and both have slightly different star adjuster castings
-the steering box has changed from being oil filled in the 64 model year and now in 65 uses grease
-With the change of the body, the wiring loom in rerouted from going through the roof to going along the heater channel
-the sunroof adds plastic sliders to the headliner panel to prevent it from getting dirty. The sunroof panel also has a bow for the headliner panel.
-seat belt mounting holes (headliner screws) reduced in size and there is no more need for adapter pieces for seat belts. The shoulder belt mounting hole was also moved from level with the bottom of the side windows to the middle of the side windows.

I think that everything Laughing Let me know anything I missed or that is incorrect

Is your Registry for just the Type 113-114, 117-118 model ?
The 111-112 "STANDARD and 111-112 1200 CUSTOM and 115-116 are way different.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 bug registry Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
Ceckert64 wrote:

During/Mid year changes

-new headlight switch

Is your Registry for just the Type 113-114, 117-118 model ?
The 111-112 "STANDARD and 111-112 1200 CUSTOM and 115-116 are way different.
What I included was only for the deluxes, but we can include standards, if you know most of the changes with them, post them up and I will include them.
Gerb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 bug registry Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
Gerb, Nice original interior. Mine rear seat is nice but fronts are a wreck.

Some Q's.

- Can you post some more images of the seat covers?
- Also on your headliner is it a mix of painted dots and holes or all holes? Where is what?
- Is the rear window headliner panel one piece or two? Is it sewn (upper to lower) around the window or are the seams in the lower corners glued? If glued which panel is on top?

Thank you.

- Here's a few more pics. Fronts are not good (I pulled the shirts off the backs for these pics); rear really isn't bad.
- Headliner has painted dots and holes (see photos)
- Rear window is once piece over the top and sides, with angled seams at the bottom corners. I'm not sure what's glued and not glued.

Thanks,
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 bug registry Reply with quote

Cool interior pics for sure! Any more submissions?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: